College Student 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > College Student 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default College Student 1911

I figured I'd post my pride and joy. Yes, I know its a Taurus, but this isnt a bad pistol as long as you know how to fix the little kinks in it. I liked the whole duo-tone look as its both display worthy but can handle the riggors of being a 1911.
Of course this is in 45acp, I put custom laser etched "Punisher" AlumaGrips grips on it that I ordered from GunGrips.net. I have a seperate pair waiting on my next 1911 as well. I have a set of Novak Wide-Notch fiber optic sights (green front pipe and red back pipes) to help my eyes be drawn to the front sight. I'll be needing a new barrel before long, especially once I start reloading for it a whole lot this next few weeks. I polished the barrel and trigger but it didnt seem to do much good as its very rough steel on both, I'd like to get smoother metal on both. The trigger has pits in it from how rough the metal is cut out from the factory, it'll be the next to go on the gun. I shaved off the end of the ambi-safety due to it interfereing with the grip. The grip on the right side is cut for an ambi and worked but the lever wouldnt completely engage and that didnt sit well with me really.
I put a Wilson Combat mag-well on for faster reload and the grips were cut out for that as well. As for my magazines I'm using 4 Chip McCormick Power-10s that I had to modify the butt-plate for the mag-well and two Wilson Combat 8 rounders.
All-together its a pretty sweet setup for an aspiring shooter and reloader like myself on a college student's budget. I can put bullet to paper and steel 10x10 targets at 25 yards more than 60% of the time with it depending on my form that day. Not bad for someone classified as "legally blind" by the gov'ment.

In the box. Custom cut the foam for plenty of mags. 56 rounds in the box total

Left side

Right side

Last edited by Ruzai; 04-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

A nice setup. Are you having any problems with the 10 round CMCs? One of our local guys went to them for the pin shoots (looking for any advantage) and he had nothing but trouble with them...

Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope, I've had zero problems with them. Course, once I get any new mags I take them apart and clean and oil them with Rem-Oil and replace them the way they came. I dont exactly like the follower but I can live them with them, but I hear people have problems with them since they like to wobble all over the place. He might want to switch the orientation of the springs, sometimes those little things can have an affect on the larger mags from what I hear. But if I had to guess it'd be the cheap follower.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats!!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #5

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I figured I'd post my pride and joy. Yes, I know its a Taurus,
My first 1911 was a PT1911 and I loved it. You don't have to apologize for it, never think that! Enjoy it!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

from one college student to another a 1911 is still a 1911...
and that low interest rates on those student loans aren't too bad

nice grips btw

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 04-08-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

He's smiling! (Well maybe on the inside!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a good looking set up. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. After all, it is a 1911.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Seeing as how I wont be selling it, I'll continue to update it to my liking.
I was wondering if any of you might have a good recommendation for a match-grade barrel?
I was also thinking of putting in a new recoil spring system to help reduce recoil and help with follow up shots, what do you guys/gals think?

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

nice 1911! my first was a pt1911 also, and i have over a thousand rounds through it, and still no probloms, its the .45 i shoot the most and is still fun! Enjoy it and shoot it...(they tend to like it!) LOL

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington