Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   cleaning and maintenance of a .22 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/cleaning-maintenance-22-1911-a-65382/)

thefonze 05-29-2012 07:23 PM

cleaning and maintenance of a .22 1911

got mys first one a few months back, put around 500 rounds through it before i broke it down and cleaned it,needless to say it was filthy.
haven't used it in about five weeks now, haven't been able to get to the range for one reason or another, so here's the question..

Should i break it down and stick a bit of oil on it when i've not used it in a while?
If so, what's type of time frame are we talking? a month? a year?

Thanks in advance

sputnik1988 05-29-2012 07:29 PM

If I don't intend to fire a gun for an undetermined amount of time, I give 'em a good coat of oil. Keeps them from rusting, above that, I dont know if it does any good. Makes me feel better though.

levelcross 05-29-2012 09:58 PM

The .22 is a dirty round regardless of brand it is just plain dirty.

As for oiling and cleaning, if I am not going to shoot it for a while I will clean and oil it every month. I do it on the first few days of every month for every gun I have, if they have been in the safe then it is just a quick swab and oil.

Not sure if it is right but it is just what I do.

DodgerBlue 05-29-2012 11:56 PM

I didn't even know a .22 1911 or any kind of .22, ever needed cleaning!

qwiksdraw 05-30-2012 12:17 AM

Mine gets field stripped & cleaned after each use.

thefonze 05-30-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwiksdraw (Post 818404)

no matter how many rounds you use?
I'd have a pain in my ass doing that tbh.

I am a bit nervous stripping it as anything i've learned has come from youtube, but once i have it down i'm sure i'll come to enjoy it.

gollygee 05-30-2012 08:31 PM

I have a GG1911-22 which would do well with any kind of ammo, even the cheap Federal 550 bulk. But, after about 600 rounds, started having too many light strikes even with CCI Mini Mags, but would always fire the second try. Spending $70+ to send a $300 pistol for warranty didn't appeal to me so called ATI about detail stripping it myself but they advised against it. A local dealer is a gunsmith & while he wasn't authorized to do warranty work, they assured me that it would not void the warranty if I let him look at it.

He found a lot of "gunk" in the firing pin channel, as well as throughout the pistol where merely field stripping did not expose it. Cleaned it out real good, lubed & no parts needed. Since then, back to it's old reliable self. We think it was the shipping goo they load them down with & even though I sprayed it down good with brake cleaner & blew it out with compressed air, it didn't get it all. Of course, it could have been made worse by the cheap Federal ammo, so I'll be shooting better stuff from now on.

Will be interesting to learn if this is a re-occuring problem. I generally clean after every range trip which will be about every 100 rounds.

HOSSFLY 05-30-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwiksdraw (Post 818404)

Seriously :confused:
I have about 500 rds thru my Citadel (Chiappa) 1911 & it might be due for a cleaning after another 500 :rolleyes:

limbkiller 05-30-2012 10:16 PM

I have the Colt, GSG, and the Chiappa. I usually shoot 500+ rds on my range trips through them. I take the slide off and clean everything I can after shooting them like that. But I only shoot my guns about every 2 months now that I usually take 100 or so at a time and shoot for 12+ hrs. A general wipe down every 3-4 months if they are not shot. I use oil not grease on .22s. Grease on the slides of anyhing larger than .22.

HOSSFLY 05-30-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller (Post 819488)
I have the Colt, GSG, and the Chiappa. I usually shoot 500+ rds on my range trips through them. I take the slide off and clean everything I can after shooting them like that. But I only shoot my guns about every 2 months now that I usually take 100 or so at a time and shoot for 12+ hrs. A general wipe down every 3-4 months if they are not shot. I use oil not grease on .22s. Grease on the slides of anyhing larger than .22.

Hold the phone--
You take 100 or so GUNS & shoot for 12hrs :confused: