Cleaning ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Cleaning ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cleaning ?

Do I need to use a brass bore brush or should I use the plastic or what ever it's called bore brush when cleaning my 1911? And should I use some sort of grease or will good quality gun oil be sufficient to lube the gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant
Do I need to use a brass bore brush or should I use the plastic or what ever it's called bore brush when cleaning my 1911? And should I use some sort of grease or will good quality gun oil be sufficient to lube the gun?
Try a bronze brush they are great

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant
I use mpro 7 oil in both my 1911a with great results, there are many quality oils but I shy away from rem oil, its to light an collects dust real bad

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

I like using Pro7 bore gel and Wilson Combat Grease.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 1559 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

You are going to find a thousand different answers to your questions.

I use a bronze brush, CLP on everthing else and a light coating of silicone grease on the rails. I have been shooting this particular 1911 since 1987 and it hasn't let me down. That said, I bet there are another thousand combinations of cleaning and lubricating that work just as well. I would even bet that you could do no cleaning or lubricating and go for years without any problems.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 1421 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Best advice, buy the highest quality you can afford!

Good cleaning tools are an investment and should have as much pre-purchase research as did your gun selection.

I've used them all and can save you the time and $$$ with my recommendations. (Just remember this is subjective and don't get yourself confused with the Chevy vs Ford thingie.)

Here are my minimum requirements for gun maintenance: (provided links are for visual reference, SHOP around!)

Hardware (get dedicated tools and keep them in a cleaning box marked (insert your gun here) and don't mix them with your other gun/caliber equipment.)

Consumables
  • Solvent(s) Get the Hoppes #9
    I like/use Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent - MidwayUSA
  • Lube(s) (can't beat the default; Rem Oil)
    I blend my own. Cane's "Mobil Mystery", 90% Mobil 1 / 10% Marvel Mystery.
    +
  • Patches (get caliber-specific size patches and DON'T mix them!)
  • Q-Tips (can't clean guns without them!)

Tips:
  1. Use only properly sized tools (if you don't have that .45 bore brush, get one!)
  2. Clean your gun barrel in the same direction the bullet travels (on your gun, with the barrel removed, push the brush from breech to muzzle, remove the brush and pull the rod out, IOW, don't run it back-and-forth)
  3. Use a fresh patch on each pass (patches are cheap, barrels are expensive)
  4. DO NOT drag a dirty patch back through the "just cleaned" barrel
  5. Disassemble your gun only to the level required to access areas where fouling reaches
  6. Cleaning your gun requires a clean work area. The idea is to remove, not add dirt
  7. When it comes to lube, lighter is better (pass a lightly lubed bore mop 2-3 times instead of a oil soaked and dripping mop once)
  8. Lube needs to be present, not seen (visual) to work (see # 7 above)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just ordered some of what you suggested I all ready have a cleaning rod and patches thanks for the info.

image-3122142917.jpg