Christmas Present - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Christmas Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by junho806 View Post

what are some common upgrades for a 1911?
Depending on what condition it was in when you got it, I am not REAL familiar with the RIA out of the box, polishing the feed ramp is usually first in line.

Then a trigger job for street carry 3# to 4# depending on comfort of the user.

Grips are usually something you will experiment with, I probably have 20 sets of various types I have tried before I found some I liked.

Check with the manufacturer on the recoil spring if you want to shoot +P loads. Even my Nighthawks, which came rated for +P, but Nighthawk even recommended upgrading to a stronger spring if I was going to feed a healthy diet of them.

Depending on the type and condition of the safety and hammer, those would be on the list as well.

Basically a good 1911 platform is like your AR - the only real limit to what you can do, is your own pocketbook and your imagination...

JD

Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

will these sights fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRIJICON-KB01-TRITIUM-NIGHT-SIGHTS-KIMBER-1911_W0QQitemZ230316244253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGun_P arts?hash=item230316244253&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_t rkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 |301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
and are their special tools or gunsmith skills needed to install them?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Depending on what condition it was in when you got it, I am not REAL familiar with the RIA out of the box, polishing the feed ramp is usually first in line.

Then a trigger job for street carry 3# to 4# depending on comfort of the user.

Grips are usually something you will experiment with, I probably have 20 sets of various types I have tried before I found some I liked.

Check with the manufacturer on the recoil spring if you want to shoot +P loads. Even my Nighthawks, which came rated for +P, but Nighthawk even recommended upgrading to a stronger spring if I was going to feed a healthy diet of them.

Depending on the type and condition of the safety and hammer, those would be on the list as well.

Basically a good 1911 platform is like your AR - the only real limit to what you can do, is your own pocketbook and your imagination...

JD
what do i polish the feeding ramp with? can i do it myself?
by trigger job do you mean just changing a spring?
as for the recoil spring what constitutes a good replacement spring and is it necessary?

took it too the range and put 50 rds through it and my groupings weren't as good as i liked...too embarrassed to post them up here haha
I kept shooting low to the right
i'm guessing its a breathing problem like with my AR-15?
any tips?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Generally, polishing a feed ramp isn't something that I would "talk someone through" but it's possible you could do it yourself. It's also possible you could over do it yourself and make it worse.

This is one of those times that I am going to recommend a trained gunsmith for you, it's something that is kind of important it's done right. It's not hard, or even technical, but we are talking about reliable performance here that needs to be 100% correct for real world use.

As for the trigger, generally speaking a factory trigger can be tuned and work just fine. If you can not achieve the type of pull, break and reset that you are looking for in a carry gun, then changing out the parts might be needed.

If you aren't familiar with tuning a trigger, there are plenty of on line sources, but again, I am going to shy away from talking you through it over the internet just because this is for a carry gun and NEEDS to be reliable 100% of the time. Again, it's not hard, it's just important to get it right.

As for the shooting, there are a couple of threads around with a standard target that is broken down into sections, and where you are hitting, shows exactly what you are doing "wrong".

Search through posts by Robocop10mm, Mark F and possibly Bob Wright. I can remember who posted it, but it's been posted in a couple of threads and it works perfectly.

JD