Choosing a Good Gun For a GREAT Friend!?! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Choosing a Good Gun For a GREAT Friend!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah there are PLENTY of American made 1911s. Since Springfield is an American company and they do their assembly work here, we might be able to swallow the fact that certain parts are made in Brazil. If you go to Springfield's page it is pretty apparent that they seem to be apologizing for the fact that some parts are Brazilian.

I own XDs, (about to go shoot one ) but 99% of my collection (except the ones that are intentionally foreign, i.e. AKs) are 100% American.

I'm not saying a Mil-spec Springfield won't end up being the result, but I am saying it's origin will be a consideration.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Uhyup...Springers are assembled here for the most part but parts are made in the way down south. Para Ords.GI Expert is made here if I remember right. Then there's the Colt, Smith, Fusion, Wilson.
The good old American Colt has had so many ups and downs. It has been sold to foreign investors, resold, back and forth so many times.

S&W it is American but they just copied the 1911 pattern exactly the same as every other company. Para Ordnance was a Canadian company. They did relocate their plant to NC. Fusion, a small company that knocks off Dan Wesson. Kimber is American and so is Les Baer.

Even the FN M-16, M249 & M240 made in SC is owned by a Belgian company FN Herstal, aka Fabrique Nationale. They also own Remington and Browning
Our guys fight with their stuff every day.

There is very little that is 100% American made. Steel comes from Brazil, India, China and Korea. Same with screws, some springs and other small parts. The CNC milling machines are made in Japan, Germany and Korea.

Where is Streamlight made? I think mostly China. Where is your cell phone made? Where is your computer and tv's made?

Where were all the most popular guns designed? Where do you think all the money Glock makes goes? Back to Austria.

It is sad, but if the OP wants a 1911 that is mostly made in the US, it is going to be a much more expensive.

Really, read some history about Springfield Armory. It may not be what you think.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Well. . . . . back to the topic. . .

I took my friend to the range today and we shot my Para LDA and Springfield XD .40 5" tactical. I let him do most (not more than 60% of course ) of the shooting, since the XD is his "other" consideration for the handgun.

We did all types of drills. Most were between 7-15 yards and consisted of 1 & 2 hand holds, including weak hand, rapid fire and various positions. Although he's shooting fairly well with most handguns in general, he shot noticeably better with the XD. His NPA is also much closer with the XD.

Although he did maintain that the 1911 "felt" better, like it belonged in his hands. This was also his first time shooting the Para and he has shot the XD before, but it's been several months.

After the session, which ended up being over 3 hours, the Owner reminded us to stop by his tent FIRST at the show this weekend. . . which we will

Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Diggs, the best basic 1911 bar none is the Springer Mil-Spec. It has decent sights, flared & lowered ejection port, and forged slide & frame. Be wary as some folks will list a GI as a Mil-Spec and Springer doesn't help as they label their GI as the Mil-Spec GI. Quick way to tell is the GI has vertical slide serrations where the Mil-Spec has serrations angled towards the front.

These make great project guns and are good shooters as is. I've bought all of mine (except the long slide) used and the stuff JD listed is on point. It's not really difficult to spot a worn out 1911 at all. One caution - if it looks like a Dremel has ever been near the feed ramp - run don't walk away. This gun began life as a Mil-Spec...

I agree the SA mil spec is the best gun in that price range. Great project guns.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Diggs - What's the latest??