Choosing a Good Gun For a GREAT Friend!?! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Choosing a Good Gun For a GREAT Friend!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

NGIB and JD, Thank you both for sharing experience and providing the insight and precautions needed to get a good value in a used/economical 1911. We've been looking and researching non-stop. The Springer's are definitely the most appealing option right now as far as new guns go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
A $600 to $700 1911 is do able, but he is going to be going into a platform that he may WANT to do some modifications to down the road.

I think used is the best bet for a quality piece in this price range. You are going to get more weapon for the price and you might get a couple of "bells or whistles" for the same price.

However, we have the Tanner Gun Show coming to town Oct. 9 & 10 and we hear the turnout is going to be awesome. So what is probably going to happen is we'll go to the show (I'm sure I'll have an itch by then ) in hopes of finding "The One" . . . Since that rarely happens, he's copied the blueprints ya'll provided for a value.

Quote:
Many folks will read the above and think I'm dissing Rock Island - and I'm not. An RIA (really any PI made gun) is a good shooting entry level 1911 and I've owned a number of them. I do not recommend them in general for 2 reasons:

First: they cannot be used as a base for a caliber conversion like .460 Rowland (my kit is coming from Bear). The cast frame and slides just aren't as strong and "hearty" as the Springers.

Second: it will always be a Rock Island. What I mean by this is I have personally seen many folks buy a $400 RIA and put $500 into it and think they now have a $900 gun - it just don't work that way. I wrote a thread here last year I called "The 1911 Trap" that explains this. It's sad when these folks realize that their Rock is only worth $900 to them...
Without knowing the 1911s in the same way as you boys do, I thought this was the case. . . Since I turned this gentleman on to shooting, I have also tried to embed the importance of uncompromising quality when purchasing a firearm. This is why I started a thread instead of just sending a few direct PMs. Although this is his purchase(s), I feel like a part of it and it's fun to help out a responsible friend with his new hobby/lifestyle. Neither of us would even consider anything but a solid, well made chunk opf steel.

Thanks again men and updated will continue!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Armscor Rock Island is well within your price range. The Hawa/Legacy Sports - Citadel is also a decent 1911 at its price point. Both pistols are made in the Philippines.

Auto Ordnance Corp. (Kahr Arms) 1911 would also be in your price range.

The Springfield Armory Mil-Spec is very nice. You may also want to have a look at the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911.
Both of these will be at or above the high end of your budget.

I would not buy most used 1911's unless you have a good understanding of them and what to look for. There are just too many fools out there "improving" their 1911's only to turn them into junk. Some dealers will still sell them though.

I also would not get my hopes up about finding a 1911 deal at a gun show either. Maybe some FMJ ammo though.

Last edited by sigp250; 10-01-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #13

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here's some good info:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/#post208881

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And read this post for a used 1911:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/glock-1911-2010-odyssey-30715/index2.html#post336213

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp250 View Post
The Armscor Rock Island is well within your price range. The Hawa/Legacy Sports - Citadel is also a decent 1911 at its price point. Both pistols are made in the Philippines????.
Please don't take offense to the following, but you hit a soft spot with me, so I'm going to give you an opinion.

Sorry partner, but I had to disregard everything included in this post as well as any future post of yours after suggesting that my very dear friend's FIRST GUN in his collection would even have so much as a fragment that originated from ANY other country than thegreat U.S.A.

You ought to read through the rest of this thread and take some of the advise given by some of the well established, wiser, experienced members (even veterans) and your next gun purchase may result in a piece of American steel that you could be proud of.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
I put this in the 1911 thread for a reason, not the responsibility thread.
Wow a rolleyes too. I didn't know we can only talk about 1911 in this section. Your friend just got laid off (in this economy) and you encourage him to start collecting guns? No wonder a lot of people get in deep ****.

Anyway, do as you please and you won't see me post in this thread again so fire away.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Diggs - Have you and your friend done any looking around, any gun shows? Anything on the short list?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Wow a rolleyes too. I didn't know we can only talk about 1911 in this section.

Anyway, do as you please and you won't see me post in this thread again so fire away.
This IS called the 1911 thread. I'm feeling it again. . . here it comes. . . BAM

We work in the construction industry son, so we always work ourselves out of a job.l During that period we save. . . A LOT! The economy doesn't scare us and when we're laid off we make the most of our vacations. We have fun, its too bad that you don't seem to be able to relate.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Please don't take offense to the following, but you hit a soft spot with me, so I'm going to give you an opinion.

Sorry partner, but I had to disregard everything included in this post as well as any future post of yours after suggesting that my very dear friend's FIRST GUN in his collection would even have so much as a fragment that originated from ANY other country than thegreat U.S.A.

You ought to read through the rest of this thread and take some of the advise given by some of the well established, wiser, experienced members (even veterans) and your next gun purchase may result in a piece of American steel that you could be proud of.
Oh brother,

You really must be living in a vacuum. Not a pot to piss in and you want an American made 1911. LOL!

You can cross of the Springfield Mil Spec too. It is made in Brazil.

The semi custom .45s are all assembled and fitted in Illinois using a combination of different manufacturers parts but the frames and slides are still Brazilian investment castings or forgings depending on the type of pistol involved.

The Springfield XDs are still made lock stock and barrel in Croatia.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp250 View Post
Oh brother,

You really must be living in a vacuum. Not a pot to piss in and you want an American made 1911. LOL!

You can cross of the Springfield Mil Spec too. It is made in Brazil.

The semi custom .45s are all assembled and fitted in Illinois using a combination of different manufacturers parts but the frames and slides are still Brazilian investment castings or forgings depending on the type of pistol involved.

The Springfield XDs are still made lock stock and barrel in Croatia.
Uhyup...Springers are assembled here for the most part but parts are made in the way down south. Para Ords.GI Expert is made here if I remember right. Then there's the Colt, Smith, Fusion, Wilson.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson