Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Chip McCormick Power Mag (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/chip-mccormick-power-mag-49757/)

g17frantz 10-13-2011 05:09 AM

Chip McCormick Power Mag

Anyone have any problems with these? I just bought a power mag last week and have heard amazing things about them. With that being said, I took it to the range today with me to test it out and had a bunch of failure to feeds. About 1-2 each time (100 rounds). I know they'll take care of it for me b/c their customer service is great but didn't know if for some reason if they had to be broken in or anything. My stock mags worked fine, no problem. For all I know my stock ones could be CMC. They have the same notched out part underneath the feed lip like the CMC's and feel like the same kinda of finish to boot, the only difference is how much smoother and eaiser it is to put a round in the CMC. Any advice guys?

EMTchad 10-13-2011 06:19 AM

Sorry to hear that. Turns out that some 1911's are a better fit with other high end mags. My SA 1911 loaded uses Wilson combat elite mags. I tried some others and had same issue. But that's the thing, some 1911s like certain mags better than the other. Hope this helps.

MrWray 10-13-2011 04:35 PM

I use wilson mags too,7 to be exact. They all function very well. Ive had 0 malfunctions after about 500 rounds

canebrake 10-13-2011 05:02 PM

Before you buy another mag, read the following;

Tripp’s Cobra Magazine Test

I bought a kimber pro carry II

1911 and Hollow Points

Upgrade your Mags

gollygee 10-13-2011 09:54 PM

I'm waiting on a couple of Tripp mags now. They had wildfires in that area a while back & are just getting into full production, or I guess I'd already have them.

From your post above, I guess they offer spring/follower kits to convert other brands?

canebrake 10-13-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 600787)
From your post above, I guess they offer spring/follower kits to convert other brands?

Yep, CA357 converted all his mags to Tripp innards and he loves them.

I know who supplies the springs for their mags but have been asked not to blab.

All I can say is they are not old school music wire springs. They are true 21st century high tech units. These springs are heat treated, shot peened and stress relieved after winding. You can't do that to music wire springs.

gollygee 10-13-2011 10:40 PM

Good. I have a few I may convert. As to the springs, I was impressed with the Wilson springs compared to Chip McCormick. I'd say the Colt spring is probably real close to the Wilson, but I like the Wilson follower better.

One of the two Colt mags that came with my XSE had Chip internals!

g17frantz 10-13-2011 11:55 PM

Guys good news! No problems! shot another 100 rounds today just out of the CMC magazine and it functioned flawlessly. Hollow points and FMJ's no problem! Makes me a lot more comfortable now. I wonder if the spring just needed to be worked a little more? Who knows? Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

canebrake 10-14-2011 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 600805)
Good. I have a few I may convert. As to the springs, I was impressed with the Wilson springs compared to Chip McCormick. I'd say the Colt spring is probably real close to the Wilson, but I like the Wilson follower better.

One of the two Colt mags that came with my XSE had Chip internals!

The followers are equally important as the springs.

Alpha1Victor 10-14-2011 03:13 AM

Im my honest opinion, wilson combat mags are the best. They are very reliable, durable and reasonably priced.