Chip McCormick magazine failures
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Chip McCormick magazine failures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Chip McCormick magazine failures

I thought Chip McCormick had a great reputation but I've just had 2 magazine failures in 2 weeks in my Kimber CDP compact. Both times the little chinky tack welds broke on the base plate. The first time I attributed it to +P ammo but this time it was standard loads. Anyone else having a problem?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3163 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Call Chip McComick customer service. IMHO this is indicative of a manufacturing problem. I know there are different grades of magazine that CM makes, some less awesome than others, but none of them should fail in the manner you describe.
http://www.cmcmags.com/Contact.html
Note: if you look at the site, they have apparently had issues with imitations of their products.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Ya I think I'll call them. If I did get some copies maybe they can track em down. I got them from eBay so it's possible they were fakes. But I compared a Chip McCormick in a local shop and everything looked identical. Tack welds and all.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Call Chip McComick customer service. IMHO this is indicative of a manufacturing problem. I know there are different grades of magazine that CM makes, some less awesome than others, but none of them should fail in the manner you describe. http://www.cmcmags.com/Contact.html Note: if you look at the site, they have apparently had issues with imitations of their products.
I had some of their shooting star line.. Less then stellar.. Now, it's Wilson Combat or bust.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Haven't seen a 7 round flush mag from Wilson. I picked up a couple Kimber. At least the weld looks better.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #6

I also have a CDP Ultra, I don't mind the base pad at all. I actually have an 8 round Wilson as well.
Just sold a Kimber mag that my pistol didn't like..

As sweet as my pistol shoots and it far more accurate than I am, the base pad or slightly extended mag don't bother me a bit, no one ever sees it and the few who do have never mentioned it. Just my two cents.
If you'd like to see some pics with both mags if be happy to take a few and post them.

DISCE PATI

Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #7

I actually have the Compact with the 4" barrel. Same frame though. I have the 8 round Wilson too. I live in Mississippi so usually just a t-shirt on and the 8 round shows a little more than I'd like. The 7 round Wilson is less of a problem but I'm gonna run some rounds through the new Kimber mags and see how they do.

Also thinking of sending the broken mags to log man, the guy that mods the EMP magazines. If he puts a full bead on them I shouldn't have any more problems.

What problem did you have with the Kimber mag?

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 12-18-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #8

Liked 1278 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 546

These will not let you down:

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

Old 12-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Looks good, I'll give it a try.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
I actually have the Compact with the 4" barrel. Same frame though. I have the 8 round Wilson too. I live in Mississippi so usually just a t-shirt on and the 8 round shows a little more than I'd like. The 7 round Wilson is less of a problem but I'm gonna run some rounds through the new Kimber mags and see how they do. Also thinking of sending the broken mags to log man, the guy that mods the EMP magazines. If he puts a full bead on them I shouldn't have any more problems. What problem did you have with the Kimber mag?
Shot through the Kimber mag twice, half way through the second go I had a fail to feed(same as the shooting star mags) so I instantly disregarded it, didn't give it a third go.
Through a couple thousand rounds and several years my 7 round Wilson has been flawless, the 8 is fairly new, no problems yet..

Even when I had the two Glocks and the XD, anytime I bought new mags, I always took them shooting several times before I used them daily.

DISCE PATI