You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Chip McCormick 45 acp magazines?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

IMO the wilson elite tactical mags are the best out there

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #12

Liked 1471 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
IMO the wilson elite tactical mags are the best out there
I respectfully disagree with your premise.

Chip McCormick 45 acp magazines? - 1911 Forum

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six months old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Magazines

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Liked 2025 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I respectfully disagree with your premise.

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six months old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Magazines
Good eye for detail, for sure, but the question in my mind, as a non-engineer, is "does it work?". I know, from years of experience that the CMCs work, I also know the Pachmayr mags work. I have no doubt that there is a "best" magazine out there, but once you reach near 100% function, the only practical difference is in the finish or the bragging rights. I haven't used the Wilsons, but I understand from reading the experts that they are excellent, and after 100 rounds through one I am reasonably sure I would trust it for carry.

I know about the $8.00 specials, because I am a tightwad, and have bought them. They do serve a valuable service in training; for clearing jams. (I wish I hadn't thrown so many of them in the woods)

It just becomes a question is when is good enough,is good enough.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #14

Liked 54 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
Has anyone used Chip McCormick 45ACP magazines?
I'd like to get a few for my new Taurus 1911 Stainless.
thanks
I have a Wilson Combat CQB that I carry and shoot IDPA with. I run Chip McCormik MATCH mags in it in comp and have never in many years had aby failures of any kind. I also run them in my Kimber Custom 25th Annyversary Edition with the same effect. I also run them in a Kimber UltraCarry with the same results so you can say I'm a big fan of their MATCH mags. I have no experience with their regular mags.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #15

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I have been a 1911 fan since I was a kid. I got my first and only one back in about 1981, the Colt Combat Government model. I have used different types of mags in it since then including one of the Chip McCormicks. I recently bought one of the Wilson Combat mags and I have to agree with Alpha1Victor; they are the smoothest functioning and most reliable magazine I have ever tried in my gun. I am going to buy another one.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 10-17-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 13

8 rd CM's---no problems. I have 10 of them, 7 Stainless and 3 blued.
Been using them in USPSA Single Stack for 4 years or so, zero issues.

10 rd CM's. Not so good. They tend to spread just in front of the lips,
and they have a nasty habit of sticking the top round on the feed ramp
on a slide-lock reload. It's not just my guns either--I've seen it happen
a LOT. If I wanted 10 rd 45 mags I would go Tripp or Wilson.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 AM   #17

Liked 141 Times on 102 Posts

man...it's been so long since I bought mine I don't even remember what brand they are now!!! I seem to remember the McCormicks as being cheap, and felt cheap. but I don't know anyone from the team that had problems with them jamming or anything.

mine are solid stainless, no holes to count rounds, they have a plastic follower, but the whole mag feels like it's "impregnated" with lubricant, because it feels very slick and smooth. the mags were not cheap either. I'll have to get pics of them to post.

I love them and have never had a problem with them.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #18

Liked 54 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
man...it's been so long since I bought mine I don't even remember what brand they are now!!! I seem to remember the McCormicks as being cheap, and felt cheap. but I don't know anyone from the team that had problems with them jamming or anything.

mine are solid stainless, no holes to count rounds, they have a plastic follower, but the whole mag feels like it's "impregnated" with lubricant, because it feels very slick and smooth. the mags were not cheap either. I'll have to get pics of them to post.

I love them and have never had a problem with them.
Those were not Chip McCormick. IIRC The standard CMC is 50% thicker than milspec and the match is 75%.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I tried a Chip 10 rounder in my Kimber 460 Rowland today.Very frustated.First two rounds had trouble feeding,after that it ran fine.Put in Kimber mags,no problems.Every time I used the Chip mag,I had to slap the bottom hard to get it on up there,Follower seems flimsy.Want to use it as a pin gun,Would try a Wilson,but Clark doesn't recommend a plastic follower.Any sugestions?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #20

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman
I tried a Chip 10 rounder in my Kimber 460 Rowland today.Very frustated.First two rounds had trouble feeding,after that it ran fine.Put in Kimber mags,no problems.Every time I used the Chip mag,I had to slap the bottom hard to get it on up there,Follower seems flimsy.Want to use it as a pin gun,Would try a Wilson,but Clark doesn't recommend a plastic follower.Any sugestions?
Buy wilson mags anyway, there is nothing wrong with the polymer follower. I have 10 wilsons and they all perform flawlessly