Changing 1911 Recoil Spring - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Changing 1911 Recoil Spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I couldn't really answer how it would feel shooting your +P rounds on a 1911 using a 18 pound spring, cause I use the power factor load that the 1911 was designed to use with a 16 pound spring (230 gr @ 850 FPS), but this I do know, that is that, the only connection of the slide and frame recoil system in a 1911 is the action spring and like on a revolver the more solid the connection is the more felt recoil, so in my opinion the more you stiffen the connection between the frame and slide by introducing a stiffer action spring to the system the more felt recoil, and with an increased momentum on the slide when returning to battery with an 18 pound spring, will cause excessive battering to the slide stop pin and lower barrel lugs, also you will have the possibility of inducing a FTF, because with an 18 pound spring you will increased the slides abutment rebound and in turn, out run the magazine spring, also with a stiffer spring, if you don't grip the pistol firmly the slide will catch the empty shell in the air while on the ejecting stroke creating what is commonly called "limp wristing".

There is no free lunch when altering a perfectly balanced engineering design as that of the original 1911, I have found that for every change and deviation you make to the design you will have to alter two other things to balance out the difference, and most times a lot of trial and error to find out what those two other things are.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited by cuba; 08-18-2012 at 10:09 PM.
2ndAmendmentFreedom Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #12

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Couldn't agree more with "for every change and deviation you make to the design you will have to alter two other things to balance out the difference".

Gonna get a few 16lb Wolff.

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #13

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
I couldn't really answer how it would feel shooting your +P rounds on a 1911 using a 18 pound spring, cause I use the power factor load that the 1911 was designed to use with a 16 pound spring (230 gr @ 850 FPS), but this I do know, that is that, the only connection of the slide and frame recoil system in a 1911 is the action spring and like on a revolver the more solid the connection is the more felt recoil, so in my opinion the more you stiffen the connection between the frame and slide by introducing a stiffer action spring to the system the more felt recoil, and with an increased momentum on the slide when returning to battery with an 18 pound spring, will cause excessive battering to the slide stop pin and lower barrel lugs, also you will have the possibility of inducing a FTF, because with an 18 pound spring you will increased the slides abutment rebound and in turn, out run the magazine spring, also with a stiffer spring, if you don't grip the pistol firmly the slide will catch the empty shell in the air while on the ejecting stroke creating what is commonly called "limp wristing".

There is no free lunch when altering a perfectly balanced engineering design as that of the original 1911, I have found that for every change and deviation you make to the design you will have to alter two other things to balance out the difference, and most times a lot of trial and error to find out what those two other things are.

Wilson Combat suggests a 17 lb spring as pretty much Ideal.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size/productinfo/614/
Let's be realistic, an 18 lb spring isn't exactly heavy duty. We're talking 2 more pounds, what's that 12%ish? That hardly constitutes abuse.
All those parts hold up to these:
http://shop.460rowland.com/conversion_kits?product_id=50
(22 to 24 lb spring.)
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No one mentioned abuse but the fact that a 18 pound spring will increase the momentum impact of the slide to the side stop pin and lower barrel lugs by a 11% greater amount than a 16 pound spring should not be hard to understand, I also believe that Wilson Combat has a dog in that fight, he also sells shock buffer which will alter the impact rebound of the abutment that is needed to successfully feed a round into the chamber as designed, at 16 pounds the recoil spring has already been upgraded by 1.5 pounds, the original action spring as designed by JMB and the Colt engineers is rated by todays standard as 14.5 pounds.

And as I mentioned before once you change one thing in the design you will probably have to alter and change two other thing, so it should be of no surprise that if you change the bullet type from 230 gr @ 850 fps to a 460 Rowland traveling at about twice the speed and double the CUP (40,000 vs 21,000) pressure, that you will have to change the action spring and harness the recoil by way of a compensator to boot, and even with these modifications the pistol will probably not last past 10 thousand rounds, why!! because the 1911 was not designed to perform under those conditions.

Last edited by cuba; 08-19-2012 at 01:12 AM.