Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Changing 1911 Recoil Spring (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/changing-1911-recoil-spring-70617/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-18-2012 05:08 PM

Changing 1911 Recoil Spring

Hey everyone,
My 1911 has shot close to 2,000 rounds. It's still working flawlessly with no FTEs but sometimes it feels like some shots are kicking the slide back a bit harder than others. I'm using the standard factory, standard weight recoil spring and I was wondering what springs should I buy next to replace the original one. I know that some people religiously change their springs after 1000 rounds, some after 2000, some after 5000 etc. Would I benefit from a slightly heavier spring?

Overkill0084 08-18-2012 05:31 PM

Depends on your ammo, among other things.
IIRC, most standard sized 1911s call for a 16 lb spring. I typically run 18 lb springs. No down side so far. Unless your running +p every day, 16 to 18 lb springs should be fine. Heck, judging from some things I've read, 14 lbs should be OK too.
As for the replacement interval, opinions vary. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. If the spring is noticeably shorter than a new one, replace it. If you shoot the gun a lot and can't remember the last time you changed it, go ahead & replace it. 1911 recoil springs are cheap, so cheap, that there really isn't any excuse for having a worn one.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-18-2012 05:34 PM

Right I agree with that, it's really not a budget question. I was just wondering if people had a preferred brand and what weight they recommended, right now I'm shooting Sellier & Bellot 230g but usually shoot Federal Champions, 100+ rounds every week.

Dillinger 08-18-2012 05:40 PM

I subscribe to the theory that somewhere every 2500-3000 rounds it's a good time to replace the high use springs like the recoil.

Lately I have been doing some reading on a new product from my maker of choice (*cough*drug dealer*cough*) Nighthawk Customs and Master-smith Bob Marvel.

The Everlast Recoil Spring

So far the reviews have been pretty impressive and I am thinking about ordering up a couple and giving them a chance to put up and be reviewed here.

Just an option for you. ;)

JD

Overkill0084 08-18-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom (Post 908194)
Right I agree with that, it's really not a budget question. I was just wondering if people had a preferred brand and what weight they recommended, right now I'm shooting Sellier & Bellot 230g but usually shoot Federal Champions, 100+ rounds every week.

I run Wolff or Wilson, whichever is convenient. My typical MO is to add a few recoil springs to that order of other stuff I'm ordering from (insert big online retailer here.) Most of my shooting is moderate strength reloads (230 gr Cast w/ 4.6 of Bullseye.) Probably about as strong as Wal-Mart Federal. Very likely milder than that S&B you're using.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-18-2012 05:55 PM

JD that looks really cool! I'm very tempted to try that lol but right now their store is down. What weight is the spring they use?
Also in the meanwhile I'm going to buy a few regular springs, should I go with 16lb or slightly more?

Dillinger 08-18-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom (Post 908210)
JD that looks really cool! I'm very tempted to try that lol but right now their store is down. What weight is the spring they use?
Also in the meanwhile I'm going to buy a few regular springs, should I go with 16lb or slightly more?

I believe theirs is a regular 16lb model.

Wolfe are considered some of the best. I know several people that swear by them and they aren't expensive.

ISMI is a company that is producing a "professional grade" spring that has a loyal following in the fringe community. I haven't used them, but I have read some reports that are very good and they aren't that expensive in my mind.

I like to run an 18 lb. spring in my full sized carry piece, but I only carry +P ammo, I shoot it regularly in training, so I like the extra protection the +2 pounds affords.

**Caveat - I also run nothing but Tripp's Cobra Mags after Cane turned me onto them. They are AWESOME!**

JD

cuba 08-18-2012 06:15 PM

Its amazing how little is understood about the true function of the action/recoil spring on a 1911, most look at it and assume that its primary function is to dampen recoil, but in fact its primary duty is to return the slide to battery as is also on an automatic rifle, you wouldn't look at the action spring on a rifle as a dampening recoil system, would you? so is the same with the action spring on a 1911, its primary purpose is to ready the pistol to action.

On the original 1911 design the action spring wasn't even called out in poundage but in music wire diameter and the amount of coils (32), by todays standards the original action springs compression resistance would be 14 pound, and it functioned the 1911 reliably.

I believe that the reason a lot of the modern day manufacturers are supplying their 1911 rendition with 18 pound springs is because their 1911 are so tightly constructed that they have to fit them with over sprung action springs to over come the out of spec stacking on their pistol and to over come the Ka-Chunk feeding that most of them experience with incorrect profiled lip magazines.

The only time that you should need to replace your action spring is if the action starts to become sluggish on its return to battery other wise you should be good to go.

Ask yourself why the IPSC competitors fit their 1911 with 11 and 12 pound springs with out any failures through out 20,000 round with out a change.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Dillinger 08-18-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba (Post 908228)
Ask yourself why the IPSC competitors fit their 1911 with 11 and 12 pound springs with out any failures through out 20,000 round with out a change.

Probably because they a running custom built race guns with deflector shields and phase photon power packs. :rolleyes:

Custom lightened slides, custom weighted frames, custom triggers that reduced into mere ounces? There is more work put in on a race gun then most 1911's see in a lifetime of ownership.

A true IPSC gun is FAR REMOVED from that of a true 1911.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 08-18-2012 06:50 PM

Good piece of info Cuba but I'm sure that everyone here knew what the main function of the recoil spring was, I was asking about a slightly heavier spring because I tend to shoot slightly hotter loads than standard. Also my Colt 1911 is not super tightly fitted, it's smooth as butter and I believe that Colt is usually known for slightly looser fittings compared to other name brands.

I've only shot my 1911s using 16lb springs, how would it feel shooting the same loads with an 18lb? I'm guessing slightly lower muzzle flip right?