Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Change sights or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Default Change sights or not?

I own a 70 Series Colt Combat Commander, and hate the sights. I thought it was a nickel or satin finish, but I have been told by a few gunsmiths that it was hard chrome. Apparently Colt did a limited run of these and I was told they are rare. I wanted to swap out the sights because they are hard chromed as well and wash out in the light. They told me I would de value the gun if i changed the sights, and ruin the finish. Part of me wants to do it and just cerekote the gun, the other part of me would hate to ruin this gun.
Sorry about the title , EF spell check!

image-2683910336.jpg  

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 08-20-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #2

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

NO < NO< NO . Sell it before you do that to it . Its a very fine gun but I hate to see it get cerecoated . Let someone else own it and get something else of lesser value to do that with . If you must do something with the sights get some black nail polish and black out the sights its easily removable later and will not devalue it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
NO < NO< NO . Sell it before you do that to it . Its a very fine gun but I hate to see it get cerecoated . Let someone else own it and get something else of lesser value to do that with . If you must do something with the sights get some black nail polish and black out the sights its easily removable later and will not devalue it

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Unfortunately I can't sell it, it was given to me by family. I hate to make her a safe queen but it might be my only option. I can give the nail polish a shot.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Unfortunately I can't sell it, it was given to me by family. I hate to make her a safe queen but it might be my only option. I can give the nail polish a shot.
Totally understand that , flat black works best for myself . I have even done some really weird stuff with my Kahr sights , Its the i sight where you put the ball on the rectangle I dont like it so I took and painted triangles inside the black so you put the ball on the rectangle and line it up between the triangles, Made it a lot more accurate for me and a hell of alot quicker to pick up and get on target . I will take a pic of it later

Some times you just have to get creative to make it work for you

Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

Totally understand that , flat black works best for myself . I have even done some really weird stuff with my Kahr sights , Its the i sight where you put the ball on the rectangle I dont like it so I took and painted triangles inside the black so you put the ball on the rectangle and line it up between the triangles, Made it a lot more accurate for me and a hell of alot quicker to pick up and get on target . I will take a pic of it later

Some times you just have to get creative to make it work for you
Your right. I have to do something, outdoor shooting is not an option with this gun.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

This is how I went about fixing my accuracy and being quicker on the kahr p45 . It made the dot center up better . I found that I could never center the dot perfectly on the ¡ until I put the white in the triangles to center it up with

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-20-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
This is how I went about fixing my accuracy and being quicker on the kahr p45 . It made the dot center up better . I found that I could never center the dot perfectly on the ¡ until I put the white in the triangles to center it up with
Pure, you are on another level brother. Again, I'm borrowing your idea.