Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > CCW shoulder rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default CCW shoulder rig

I've been looking & noticed quite a few options but I'd rather do extensive research instead of just getting whatever looks pretty. I'm not a big guy but I can hide a 5" 1911 under my arm fairly well, I'm 5'6" at 170 lb. I'm wanting to get a vertical left handed ccw rig that won't cost 3 digits but I can settle paying extra if need be. Also, I'm a motorcycle rider so finding a rig that limits movement of the pistol(not me) would be a bonus. I'm getting tired of using my backpack as a holster.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shoulder Rig

You are going to be hard pressed not to get into the 3 digit range. My least expensive rig is an Uncle Mikes(under 100 dollars). Next is a Bianchi but I don't like it because it uses elastic to go around the right shoulder. I've been most please with a custom made job but now you are in major 3 digit range. Mine ran right at 350 dollars for Frontier Leather. I like the full leather ones the best. That's just mine thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an Uncle Mikes and that gets in under a 100 dollars. But since I got my custom made rig, I have found there are more and more options now. A quick google using the search words 'shoulder holster' list several others. Most any leather rig however will be over 100 bucks. I think you need to raise your bar a tad.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

I have been thinking about a shoulder holster from Triple K leather. It is a good looking product and the lowest priced for an all leather shoulder holster. You can also buy different holsters to go with the harness, which is good because I have been wanting someting for my HK USP 45.
That said, I have a Galco, fletch holster from 1999 and it is still in great shape despite being my eaveryday holster for my P97. Good leather is worth the money and after having made my last 4 holsters, I can tell you that it is work.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #4

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I have an uncle mikes. Don't waste your money.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I bought a Bianchi Agent X rig a few years ago. It's not a vertical carry but I do really like the rig. And it wasn't real pricey. The X 15 is a vertical carry. It runs a little over a hundred bucks though these days. I think I got mine for around 80 bucks when I got it.

I had bought a UTG rig off eBay some years back that will fit about any pistol (fully adjustable). If you don't need leather they work OK. But with things like holsters nothing beats a good leather rig for me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Go Galco

A good galco rig will be just a bit over $100 but worth a look. I just bought one for my S&W model 28 with 5 3/8 inch bbl.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Thanks for your opinions. I tried on a few recently but since they were righties only(figures) they were just a reference. I'm growing fond of the Uncle Mikes but with Xmas rolling around the corner I figure selflessness is priority at this point. I'll suck it up with the backpack just a little longer

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Galco VHS. $88 black or tan. I have one, and love it. And yes, it is left or right (can't spell ambidextourious). They claim it was made for helicopter pilots who wanted a verticle holster. I find it "old fashion" like the 30's gangsters, but it is very comfortable, extremely easy to conceal because it is verticle, can be worn either side, and is easy to draw from. My girl friend says it looks sexy (go figure,!). My sidearm is a 5" S&W 1911. It is a joy to wear with Galco's Miami Vice shoulder harness.

Last edited by parinoid54; 12-27-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Question from left field.

What brand of mags are you using in your 1911?

You have a nice firearm. You rely on it for self defense. An inexpensive holster of any kind is asking for failure just like cheap mags will cause problems.

How much is your life worth?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a shoulder holster on me right now from these guys Andrews Leather Catalog

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.