Can't Decide - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Can't Decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I like the Kimbers as well - I have owned three over the years and still have two of those.

There have been some sketchy reports of some folks getting a problem gun from Kimber lately, but I haven't been able to discern if that was personal bias or a true problem.

Kimber, I believe, has a one year warranty on their basic firearms, lifetime on something breaking outright.

For the money, I think they are making one of the best 1911's on the market - but it does cost a bit more than some other 1911's that are out there as mentioned above.

However, I now also own three Nighthawks and I wouldn't trade them for ANYTHING in the 1911 world...

Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My $700 Kimber Compact II consistently shot dead on. This is a steel that I was shooting at 50 yards:

Can't Decide - 1911 Forum

As you can see, it was a run of the mill Compact also, nothing overly fancy about it. I added the Hogue Combats to control muzzle flip due to the lack of front strap checkering:

I really wanted one of their custom guns when I bought my Compact, but couldn't afford it. After a few thousand rounds through the Compact though, I was glad that I save the extra cash. After 5 or 6 thousand more rounds, I was able to put decent groups on a paper plate sized steel at that distance and I was convinced that I didn't even need the custom gun.

Right now MSRP on a Custom II is $828. MSRP on a Gold Match II is $1345. $500 will buy a lot of practice ammo. The $500 worth of ammo will get you acquainted with your new favorite pistol and help break her in. Unlike many guns, the trigger on Kimbers only get better with age.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you've got it narrowed down to two excellent pistols. IMO probably the best production manufactured 1911's going, and I wouldn't want to live on the difference between the two manufacturers.

The FBI uses the Springfield Armory. The Marines & the LAPD use the Kimber.

I think you could probably search all day on the forums and the opinion pendulum would swing back and forth. If the cost is comparable, I would probably just go compare them side-by-side again and pick the one that struck me as my favorite.

Then there is always the traditonalist choice of a Colt. I don't think you would regret a Colt purchase either.

Good luck, wish I had your dilemma. Since I don't need adjustment sights, I would probably choose this:

Kimber Tactical Custom II

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill