Buying My First Gun EVER!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Buying My First Gun EVER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying My First Gun EVER!

so... turned 21 not too long ago, which means in the beautiful golden state of california, i can get me a hand gun

to be honest, i have never had a hand gun, just shotguns (Beneli Nova, shooting slugs)...

for the longest time ever, i had my heart set on a Springfield XD, a 9mm or .45. but over the past two months my heart's desire switched to getting a 1911 as my first gun. reason being: 1911s just look un-damn-believable. i like them the same way i like my women - simple, no fluff, down-to-the-point, and gorgeous good looking. plus, i'm a history dude, especially war-time era stuff gets my juices goin, and i thought itd be pretty cool have a gun that was designed waaayyyyy before i was even conceived

so in terms of which one im thinking about getting...

i really like the Springfield Loaded model. they seem to fit into my price range since i was not planning on spending more than $1200 on my first gun. i really like the look of the gun (traditional wood grip and SS finish) and from what ive heard/read, they are very accurate and reliable guns, especially for the price.

i should also mention that i am purchasing this gun to be more of an occassional/social shooter. and of course, i thought it would look pretty nice as a center piece of home decor and make nice use if i would ever need to protect myself from a "bump in the night". i'm not looking to get into competition. eventually, i would love to have a nice large collection of firearms and thought this would be a nice start.

any thoughts? comments or concerns i should know or consider before buying? or does anyone think i should buy from a different man. for my first 1911?

thanks

-Clemenza, Caporegime, Corleone Family

I'm not saying I'm a Gun Rights activist or an Anti-Gun Rights activist.

I'm a "do-what-makes-sense activist"...and it just so happens that some gun laws don't make sense...

Last edited by The Godfather; 02-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #2

I got a Camp Perry National Match version made by High Standard and I absolutely love it. Best $700 I've ever spent by far. All I can tell you is that you're definitely on the right track with ANY good 1911. You will not be disappointed.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army Training Notice

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #3

thanks!

I'm a "do-what-makes-sense activist"...and it just so happens that some gun laws don't make sense...

Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, first off welcome to the Forum - You came to the right place, we have a ton of 1911 fans here...

Okay, the Springfield Loaded has about 8 different models under that designation, so you will have to elaborate a little further.

I am going to assume you want the silver, wood grips model in .45 with the fixed sights and the ambi safety, since that one seems to be in your price range.

You have to be careful with the Springfield stuff, because not all of them come with Match Grade Chambers and Barrels. A Match Grade Chamber and Barrel is polished and is a tighter fit, meaning better accuracy.

I don't personally like adjustable sights, or ambi safety's, on my 1911's. If you are left handed, or you are cross eye dominant, where you have to shoot with one hand on the gun and your opposite eye open, then the adjustables might be for you, but for more applications, neither are needed.

Springfield had some production problems a few years ago, but their current models are very good and will treat you right.

That being said, I don't know a single person in real life that owns a Springfield and I know a lot of shooters.

A company to check out would be Kimber - great company and their pistols have about the best bang for the hard earned dollar out there right now.

For your first pistol, a 1911 is a serious undertaking. Keep in mind that maintenance is tied to performance, so you had better plan on being meticulous with your upkeep as your new pistol will require some love to make it run like the champion it is underneath.

Or you could buy a polymer gun, drop it in the mud, emerge it in saltwater, leave it out in the rain and it will go bang when you want it too. It just won't be as accurate and it won't have the legacy behind it.

JD

Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, first off welcome to the Forum - You came to the right place, we have a ton of 1911 fans here...

Okay, the Springfield Loaded has about 8 different models under that designation, so you will have to elaborate a little further.

I am going to assume you want the silver, wood grips model in .45 with the fixed sights and the ambi safety, since that one seems to be in your price range.

You have to be careful with the Springfield stuff, because not all of them come with Match Grade Chambers and Barrels. A Match Grade Chamber and Barrel is polished and is a tighter fit, meaning better accuracy.

I don't personally like adjustable sights, or ambi safety's, on my 1911's. If you are left handed, or you are cross eye dominant, where you have to shoot with one hand on the gun and your opposite eye open, then the adjustables might be for you, but for more applications, neither are needed.

Springfield had some production problems a few years ago, but their current models are very good and will treat you right.

That being said, I don't know a single person in real life that owns a Springfield and I know a lot of shooters.

A company to check out would be Kimber - great company and their pistols have about the best bang for the hard earned dollar out there right now.

For your first pistol, a 1911 is a serious undertaking. Keep in mind that maintenance is tied to performance, so you had better plan on being meticulous with your upkeep as your new pistol will require some love to make it run like the champion it is underneath.

Or you could buy a polymer gun, drop it in the mud, emerge it in saltwater, leave it out in the rain and it will go bang when you want it too. It just won't be as accurate and it won't have the legacy behind it.

JD
thanks!

i am aware of the maintenance required of a 1911 as opposed to say an XD, but dont mind it at all. time spent cleaning a gun could give me a chance to think/reflect...

i was considering Kimber as my first choice (or a Wilson Combat, but didnt want to spend THAT much.) which Kimber model do you have in mind?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #6

thanks!

i am aware of the maintenance required of a 1911 as opposed to say an XD, but dont mind it at all. time spent cleaning a gun could give me a chance to think/reflect...

i was considering Kimber as my first choice (or a Wilson Combat, but didnt want to spend THAT much.) which Kimber model do you have in mind?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #7

Godfather - That would depend on what your criteria is for the pistol.

Do you want S/S?

Do you want Fixed or Adjustable Sights?

Do you want Hi Cap, or standard mags?

Do you want a Carry Gun ( 4" or 4.25" ), or do you want a Full Size ( 5" )

Do you want aluminum? Do you want all steel? Or do you want a combination?

JD

Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Godfather - That would depend on what your criteria is for the pistol.

Do you want S/S?

Do you want Fixed or Adjustable Sights?

Do you want Hi Cap, or standard mags?

Do you want a Carry Gun ( 4" or 4.25" ), or do you want a Full Size ( 5" )

Do you want aluminum? Do you want all steel? Or do you want a combination?

JD

i dont mind fixed or adjusted sights, but i dont think hi cap mags are legal in CA. and full size... im not looking to take this as a conceal or with me out in public.

i was thinking about the Kimber Eclipse Custom II w/ night sights:

i like the brush polish, and the matte black accents are beautiful

what do you think?

Last edited by The Godfather; 02-21-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That is a fine 1911. But its not what we think is is your firearm. Do what makes you happy.

I love the 1911, ya can keep the plastic pistols. I liked my Auto Ord mil spec 1911. Plan on getting another one too.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #10

That's a great gun! A buddy of mine bought that gun based on that very picture and it's a runner. Nothing wrong with it and he has, probably, 2500 rounds through it that I know of. Wonderful gun, feeds anything in the .45 caliber and it's an accurate shooting mo-fo.

If you can get it in Kali would be a concern, but if you are interested in that specific gun, I can personally vouge for it being a very, very good gun.

JD