Which to buy - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Which to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3259 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Double check, but it sounds decent, assuming it's in good condition. Last price I saw was $869 NIB on an old Buds ad.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-23-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #42

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Never mind on the Springfield it's already sold

Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #43

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Is it worth paying $150 more for a range officer over a a1 loaded?

Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #44

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
Is it worth paying $150 more for a range officer over a a1 loaded?
I think it's worth it to get a milspec springer and get it dressed properly later. That's what I'm doing.

They're the same gun, just different bells and whistles, some of which you may decide are "nice, but something else is preferred".
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 05-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #45

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I think it's worth it to get a milspec springer and get it dressed properly later. That's what I'm doing.

They're the same gun, just different bells and whistles, some of which you may decide are "nice, but something else is preferred".
Correct. And in doing that you can pick the parts you want making it a better gun ...for you.

I'm no fan of Kimber. I find them to be overpriced for what you get in many instances. That's been my personal experience with them anyway. If you can get a good one that never has to see the CS dept then you'll be fine.

Quote:
Any except taurus
To the Taurus hater I have yet to see a bad 1911 form them yet. In fact most all their newer pistols that I've had a chance to look at and shoot have been great. For the money you can get a whole lot of good 1911 out of the PT1911. Truth be told the only knock I had against them was some of the ambi safeties where not installed the best and could work loose. But it was easily rectified and it seems that problem was fixed a couple years ago. The ambi safety issue was only really prevalent in the fist couple years.

Quote:
Never mind on the Springfield it's already sold
The Range Officer is a TRP without some of the bells and whistles. I could not find any difference in fit or finish between that and the loaded A1. He barrel bushing is supposed to be different in the RO but I didn't see it.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #46

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Save your money and buy a Wilson Combat. I just can't get myself to spend my hard earned money on any 1911 other than Wilson. I could have two Sigs, or two Colts, or two Kimbers... Or I could have one bad ass, perfectly fitted Wilson.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #47

Wilson is a quality pistol. That kind of money though I"ll look at a Nighhawk.

Now for the common man looking for a decent 1911 you can come in under a grand and get a good pistol. Wit hthe huge aftermarket you can put together a really nice 1911.
Springfield, STI, are two that I would be willing to drop money on any time. You can save a few bucks and have a pistil that is more accurate than many can shoot them.

But a hand fit pistol like a Wilson is a very nice gun. For me though I'd rather do the work myself.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #48

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah...
Mine cost me under $650. It's not as pretty, and maybe not as accurate, but it's 100% reliable and is more inherently accurate than I am.

Getting into those really high end hand fitted pieces is really a matter of preference and pocket book. I could never fault anyone for wanting or owning one, but as Jackie said, I could have two Colts. I would rather have one Colt, and a bunch of ammo.
People Like This 
Old 05-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yeah...
Mine cost me under $650. It's not as pretty, and maybe not as accurate, but it's 100% reliable and is more inherently accurate than I am.

Getting into those really high end hand fitted pieces is really a matter of preference and pocket book. I could never fault anyone for wanting or owning one, but as Jackie said, I could have two Colts. I would rather have one Colt, and a bunch of ammo.
I have a real hard timer justifying the cost of a hand fit pistol. I have a mil spec that shoots better than I do. It has seen some mods over time though and it pretty accurate. Gopt a few 1911's that shoot better than me

They are nice though, I just don't have that kind of money to drop on a single gun. For me it's more cost effective and rewarding to take one down and rebuild it myself if I really want a fitted gun. and I can spread the cost over a long time.

But I guess if you can afford it or at least justify the cost then have at it. You will have a very nice pistol at the end of the day.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #50

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Of the ones you listed, and I have both, kind of... I'd pick the Ruger. It's well constructed, and no firing pin blocker

Newest Threads