Which to buy - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Which to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
On your list: Ruger. Why? Their reputation for excellent Customer Support. Along with the best chance of not ever needing it.
Other options: Springfield Armory. Huge line-up, something for nearly all price points and tastes.
Sig? A matter of taste. I have never liked the "signature Sig cut" on the slide. It just bugs me, YMMV. That said, the Sig "Traditional" line has some nice options.
I like the look of the slide on my sig. That said it is frustrating to have to find a custom holster. I got a Kramer leather that works great after being broken in. Springfields are nice too. I'd look into a kimber for $800 before I bought it. Smells fishy.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post

I like the look of the slide on my sig. That said it is frustrating to have to find a custom holster. I got a Kramer leather that works great after being broken in. Springfields are nice too. I'd look into a kimber for $800 before I bought it. Smells fishy.
Yeah I agree with rifleman I haven't seen a kimber around here for less then a 1000.00
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I just love Kimber.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
I am going to purchase a 1911 and am between a Remington R1, Ruger SR1911, and a kimber custom ii. It will mainly be used for target use, but will also probably be taken in the truck with me from time to time. What's your guys opinion?
I would beware of the Kimber. Chances are great that you will get a good one. Based on my experience, if you don't get a good one you may have a problem with their repair service. They never did fix mine after 3 tries, and each try made it worse. They did refund my purchase price, but I had to get nasty to get it.

If it was me I would consider a Sig. Mine is flawless.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

You looking for a GI model or a tactical model?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #16

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
A Kimber Custom II goes for just under $800 from Bud's. The only thing fishy is that the similar offerings from Remington or Ruger are cheaper.
Kimber is not "special" in the premium sense of the word. Their one year warranty and hit-or-miss customer service are, however, "special" in the "riding the short bus" sense of the word. IMHO, Kimber makes an average pistol with an above average price.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl View Post
Should have mentioned that I would like to keep the price at $800 or less
You should be able to get a Sig at that price point. Mine was $845 including sales tax and background check. Of course they were better times for buying a gun. Now I don't know what the same gun would go for. THIS is the one I have.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 1942 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

I do not have any room in my safe for any Kimber.

Have you checked out the used firearms? There are deals to be had if you don't mind buying used.

But either way, do consider the additional costs of holster and extra mags.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 167 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
Yeah I agree with rifleman I haven't seen a kimber around here for less then a 1000.00
I'm starting to wonder if this is regional. I got a Stainless Compact for $700 and Super Carry Custom for $1100 (both new) from my LGS. However, I've never seen a Colt on the shelf for less than $1000, and that's for the "base" models. My Defender & New Agent were both about $1100 after tax.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 1942 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this is regional. I got a Stainless Compact for $700 and Super Carry Custom for $1100 (both new) from my LGS. However, I've never seen a Colt on the shelf for less than $1000, and that's for the "base" models. My Defender & New Agent were both about $1100 after tax.
Some areas understand the real value of Colts.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 

Newest Threads