Bushingless
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Bushingless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Bushingless

This is just curiosity, but if I wanted to use a bushingless bull barrel, which leaves the gap for crap to get in in the front, would the be anyway to install something to cover that bit? My only concern with the system is reliability really.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

IMO, there is no advantage to a bushingless bull barrel in a standard sized 1911 platform.

The bushing has proven reliable for over 100 years.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

WannaBe, this is how that is handled on a couple of my guns. No gap, no crap, both boringly reliable...

sti-bull-bbl.-gi-guide-rod-014.jpg   bullbbl.jpg  

Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

nothing wrong with barrel bushings. they have been proven ultra reliable through two world wars, several police actions and two gulf wars.

whats important is the barrel and slide lock up the same way each time. the standard bushing does that extremely well

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
WannaBe, this is how that is handled on a couple of my guns. No gap, no crap, both boringly reliable...
Where'd you get those if you don't mind me asking? Boringly reliable is a wonderful thing in it's own right.

Everyone else, I have my own reasons for going bushingless, and I can promise you they're good ones. I'm not trying to be a gun hipster here.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd View Post
Where'd you get those if you don't mind me asking? Boringly reliable is a wonderful thing in it's own right.

Everyone else, I have my own reasons for going bushingless, and I can promise you they're good ones. I'm not trying to be a gun hipster here.
Would you enlighten me?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #7

Looking at getting a Caspian Damascus slide with Browning Hi Power scallops, which they told me they'd only be able to make bushingless. Also I'm going to put in 460 Rowland barrel in, which naturally has strong recoil. A heavier bull barrel will help deal with it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

All the 1911 460rowland kits use a bushing barrel and will not work with a bushingless design. For a 460rowland to work it needs that compensator it can't be done with a bushingless barrel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

The ones made by 460 Rowland (the company, not the caliber) can be ported or compensated. In fact the ones the sell use California approved porting, which probably isn't exactly top notch. Your right that they don't currently sell bull barrels, but I don't see a reason they can't, and even if they won't, there's a number of barrel companies out there. If I get a barrel that requires fitting over a drop in, all the better.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Upping the pressure, but reducing the slide mass with scallops.

Do the scallops reduce the muzzle area or weaken the slide?

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Newest Threads