Burnt shell caseing's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Burnt shell caseing's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Burnt shell caseing's

Originally Posted by smh1973
Hey guys. took my r1 to the range yesterday. second time to take it. Got about 350 rounds threw it so far. No FTF miss fires of any sort. One stovepipe yesterday. Anyways as i was picking up my brass i noticed one side of the case was burnt black. I showed several of them to my bud at the range and he said he thought it was from gas blowback? What does that mean? Gun shoots great. He said to go ahead amd complete break in. The problem may fix during that time frame.I need yall's advice as to what to do. Also can you explain why this is happening? It wasn't doing that last month,when i put the first 150 threw it. THANK YOU,Steven

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 544 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 169

Its normal to see some burning or blackening round the top of empty cases. When the slide comes back there will still be some pressure and burning at the breach. If you watch some slow motion videos you will see it happening.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

When I first got my 1911 it didn't do that either. Now it does. And it started around the 200 round mark.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

A lot of my 45 brass is burnt. It's common.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3097 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

As stated, that is from blowback.

Normally, casing expands with pressure to seal the chamber, only to shrink slightly when pressure is relieved.

Small soot, powder, chamber settings may allow some blowback until the casing seals.

If it appears to be too much blowback, then get with the smith and use a set of go/no-go checks.

Most of the time, it is of no problem to the shooter.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

brass that is too hard which is often cheap brass or steel cases does this the most. it can vary brand to brand as well. not properly aneealing saves production time and production costs and doesnt really affect the function of the ammo over the short run.

not properly annealing affects accuracy a lot.

harder brass doesnt fully expand or stay expanded the correct length of time sealing the chamber preventing blowback from getting into the action.

the gun runs dirtier.

other causes can be poorly reamed chamber or incorrect headspacing but that isnt terribly common.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

And some powder burns dirtier than others.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

texaswoodworker Likes This