Bull vs bushed barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Bull vs bushed barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Bull vs bushed barrel

This applies mainly to non-government size 1911s. Some manufacturers go with a bull barrel and a few stay with a traditional bushing setup. In 4 inch (or 4.25) guns, Kimber, Springer, and Rock Island use bull barrels while Colt, Sig, and Para uses a bushed design. My biggest dislike of a bull barrel setup is a "gadget" is usually necessary to capture the recoil spring for takedown. Heck, even my Springer Longslide uses a bull barrel - which was odd to me.

Besides not requiring a "tool" for takedown, my opinion is that it's probably easier to tune a bushed gun for better accuracy. Also, as the mechanical components wear - a bushing can be replaced while a bull barrel setup would need complex machine work to accomplish the same task.

Anyway, thought this would make a good discussion so what are y'all's opinions on the issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Every one of my 1911a1's has a bushing.
I am not fond of the bull barrel concept.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I really can't see any reason that a bull barrel would not work as well as a bushing except for the things NGIB has already mentioned. I don't have a problem with the bull barrel set up at all but I can see it's downsides.

In order to tune the barrel and slide you'll need to machine one and I'm betting it's the barrel. Open the slide up too much and you've got a paper weight unless you want to machine an insert which would require press fitting and once inserted be remachined for fit, function and accuracy.

You can only take so much off the barrel because it really needs to be of uniform thickness the whole way around so that it doesn't distort as it heats and cools.

Both become a wear surface so eventually and I stress EVENTUALLY......one, the other or both are going to wear out. With a bushing you can tune the bushing to fit the warn barrel and keep on truckin but not so with a bull barrel.

Now that I've bashed the bull barrel design.....I highly doubt the average shooter will wear out a bull barrel gun in a lifetime. I got a new one not long ago so I'll start a round count and let you know.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I don't know. There's probably a pretty good reason why most of the Bullseye shooters I see shooting 1911s with bushings as opposed to bull barrels. If we're talking better accuracy, I might give the nod to the bushing.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have had one with the bull barrel and I agree with NGIB. I did not personally care for it, or the tool to take it down with, but it shot very well and ran like a champ.

Having said that, it was the first 1911 I sold off when the opportunity to upgrade presented itself.

JD

Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see the big deal. If you have a paper clip, you always have the "tool."

Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

True. But without the bull barrel, as long as I have my thumbs, I always have 'the tool'.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I don't see the big deal. If you have a paper clip, you always have the "tool."
I agree with this. I'm pretty sure if in a pinch I could get it apart without the "tool" .

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Or you could buy a Colt with the bull barrel that DOES NOT require a "tool" for takedown!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, the paperclip isn't bad. The crazy plastic half cylinder used by Springer is abysmal. Yes, they will come apart and go together without the "thingys" - just not as easy.

Cane is correct that my Colt Officers has a bull barrel (and a bushing also) and does not need "stuff"...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-16-2011 at 02:58 PM.