Bull barrel or not?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Bull barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Bull barrel or not?

This is mainly asked towards JonM, Wambli, or Cane for adice, or anybody that can give good and sound advice. I have a SA 1911 a1 loaded, and I bought it with a stainless air gauged barrel. The pistol shoots great, but I've heard a lot of good things about bulls. The gun has a

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn
This is mainly asked towards JonM, Wambli, or Cane for adice, or anybody that can give good and sound advice. I have a SA 1911 a1 loaded, and I bought it with a stainless air gauged barrel. The pistol shoots great, but I've heard a lot of good things about bulls. The gun has a
It has a 2 piece guide rod that I want to replace with either with a one piece guide rod or cap. I have a 24# Wilson Combat Spring in it now. Is the bull barrel a good idea and if so what kind of recoil system should put in it?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

How many rounds do you have through it now?
How accurate is it?

I have an old SA that is with the original barrel and have over 15000 (yes, 15 thousand) rounds through it. It is still one of my most accurate handguns.

How is the ejection with the 24# spring? I've run mine with 18# changing out every 4000 rounds or when it was 1" shorter than a new one.

Will changing over to a bull barrel increase the accuracy? The key to accuracy is that all parts work well with each other and everything returns to the same position shot after shot. Going to a bull barrel eliminates the barrel bushing and (in theory) aligns the barrel the same way each time a shot is fired. But, if the barrel is not fitted correctly, could be detrimental to your intended goal.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

i wouldnt do it. barrels arent plug and play like ar15s they need to be handfitted to the gun a lot of the time. if there isnt anything wrong with it shooting how it is now dont change it. as dan says it can actually decrease accuracy due to not being fitted by a expert. i doubt you would see any practical gain.

the only way it would help would be if the current setup is not locking up the same way every firing cycle

i would keep the full length rod since your using a very heavy spring. it will prevent binding from serious kinking. if you drop to a lighter spring under 20# you can go with a standard short guide rod.

my opinion: your air gauged barrel is damn fine part i would shoot the snot out of it and then when you wear that barrel out consider going the bull route.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-17-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
How many rounds do you have through it now?
How accurate is it?

I have an old SA that is with the original barrel and have over 15000 (yes, 15 thousand) rounds through it. It is still one of my most accurate handguns.

How is the ejection with the 24# spring? I've run mine with 18# changing out every 4000 rounds or when it was 1" shorter than a new one.

Will changing over to a bull barrel increase the accuracy? The key to accuracy is that all parts work well with each other and everything returns to the same position shot after shot. Going to a bull barrel eliminates the barrel bushing and (in theory) aligns the barrel the same way each time a shot is fired. But, if the barrel is not fitted correctly, could be detrimental to your intended goal.
The 24# spring works great, no FTE at all. It actually made it shoot better. I changed it after about 5,000 rounds, because the stock 17 was getting week. I'll take your advice and keep it stock, it still shoots great(better than my Sigs and on par with my SA operator)

Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks Jon. I have a problem with my the guide rod I have now, after I shoot about 10 rounds threw it the 2 piece rod comes loose. If I tighten good it will still loosen if I rapid fire. What options do I have to resolve this.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Every gun I have shoots better than me. I have both bushed and bull and don't see the return on investment you would get with the extensive gunsmith tuning be worth the trouble/cash.

I think if you get to that level of improvement as a requirement for competition it would best be completed for you by a sponsor.

Are you running a steady diet of hot handrolled, +P ammo or 250gr + bullets? I ran the provided 24# recoil spring that came with my Clark 460 Rowland kit in my Colt SS Government and it was so strong I had FTEs because the slide wasn't making it to the ejector.

I'd rethink the use of such a stiff spring for 45 ACP. That 24# has to be screwing with your cycle times.

I concur with Jon, don't go with the GI guide rod unless you drop the recoil spring down to the 18# level.

I wouldn't change the main spring looking for a lighter trigger either. You will set yourself up for light primer strikes and increase your cycle times.

If it ain't broke, it ain't needin' fixin'! Take the cash you save and buy many rounds of 230gr ball ammo and, to use the phrase Jon stole from me, "Shoot the Snot out of 'er!"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It shoots and cycles with out fail, but the part of the guide that screws in, it unscrew while I am shooting it. I tighten it down good but it still comes loose, so I am contemplating a 1 piece guide rod. If I drop a 18# spring in it, can I put in a 1 piece rod or go with old school cap and spring.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you are going to re-spring, I would highly recomend you take a look at the ISMI recoil springs. I like them for the same reason I like Tripp Research Cobra Mags, its all the company makes and when your entire R&D budget is focused on one item you tend to produce a quality product.

Go here and read:

ISMI Gunsprings, Made in the U.S.A.

ISMI springs that incorporate current technology and are competivitly priced with the 'same 'ol" music wire springs from 1890s! And they come with a one year warranty!

"12 Month Replacement Warranty extends beyond just materials and workmanship. We even cover failure due to wear. Failure due to wear is not some arbitrary figure: if your ISMI 1911 Recoil Spring loses more than 0.375” of free length in 12 months it will be replaced at NO CHARGE (no shipping charge when sent by US Mail) regardless of the number of rounds fired."
Any other spring sellers offering a warranty regardless of the number of shots fired?

What I do is change out my spring every year and ship it back to ISMI. If its bad, they send me a new spring. If its good, I have proof that my purchase was worth the effort.

If you still need encouragement after reading the above, call Marc Cosat (800)773-1940 and ask him why you should buy his springs. Tell him canebrake said hi and is still his best salesguy here at the FTF!

All my 1911s run ISMI springs and Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Mags.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello