Building a 1911? Feasible? Economical?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Building a 1911? Feasible? Economical?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Building a 1911? Feasible? Economical?

I'm 19 and i was thinking about slowly building (really slowly I'm a college student so money doesn't exactly grow on trees)one until i'm 21 and getting the receiver when I'm of age.
first of all is this:
1. Feasible? (legally and practically)
2. Economical? (cheaper to build one then to buy one?)

thoughts?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, building a 1911 is a big step from building an AR, that is for sure. It can be done, and it can probably be done cheaper than buying one.

That said, I just think the market is such, right now, that the really good guns are coming with parts that are top notch ( tuned triggers, match grade barrels, along with polished feed ramps, grip safeties and high end mags ), for not much more than you are going to spend for pieces to achieve the same weapon.

Fit and finish are important a good quality 1911 IMHO. If you can get a matching frame and slide, maybe you could pull off a good budget build.

I would vote probably not on economical. Feasible would be absolutely.

JD

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

Ditto to what JD said plus at 19 you can't legally buy a whole lot that will do you any good .

Anyone can buy the slide but what goes on the slide ?

Sights , Firing pin , firing pin spring and firing pin stop .OK now you've built a slide Whoopee !!

You must be 21 to legally buy the frame and all of the other 40+ parts go on it .

You can't fit a part to a frame you don't have so you will have no idea if it was made within specs or totally out of spec and I don't think in two years even if you keep your receipts anyone will let you return parts you buy today .

About the best you could do is buy top of the line parts like Ed Brown and Wilson so you would be sure they are made in spec and can be fitted at a later date with minimal fitting to a frame .

With this strategy you would overall wind up spending more than a new Colt 1911 will cost you in 2 more years when you turn 21 and can just buy the whole gun .

Just so you know buying a top quality slide and barrel alone will get you to the $400+ mark and sights if you get night sights will be $150+ , you're now at $550+ which is about as much as a complete Taurus PT 1911 sells for now and you got lots and lots a parts to go .

Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks JD and big for your input
i think i'll just wait...

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #5

If you wanted to do this to make a living at it then yes, but to build one gun no, the tools ,and jigs, and reamers cost a bunch, everything on a 1911 bought piece by piece must be hand fitted, nothing just fits.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #6

Yea, the parts may say "Drop In"--- but all that means is you'll need to "Drop-In" your local gun smith to have him fit it for you.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #7

I'm building a 1911 from scratch. I practically own a cnc machine shop, so that is why I have the capability (I'm a junior in college, and am soon to take over my fathers business as he is retiring sometime near in the future.) I've been programming parts for a year now, and building this gun actually will be fairly 'easy'. The hardest part, actually, is going back to those horribly crappy blueprints and first drawing everything on CAD. After that, its pretty much a cakewalk, the machine programming is easy for me to write. Is there anyone else out there in somewhat the same situation that has any input/info???

Old 10-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #8

WOW! good luck, when most talk about building a gun, they order the parts to put one together but you are going to manufacture a gun, what type of metal are you going to use and are you going to cut a slide also. like to see it when you are done

Old 10-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #9

There are plenty of us over at http://www.homegunsmith.com who have built up 1911s from 80%, 60%, etc., receivers. I think there may also be some 3d models of the parts too, in the library there.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelweaver120 View Post
I'm building a 1911 from scratch. I practically own a cnc machine shop, so that is why I have the capability (I'm a junior in college, and am soon to take over my fathers business as he is retiring sometime near in the future.) I've been programming parts for a year now, and building this gun actually will be fairly 'easy'. The hardest part, actually, is going back to those horribly crappy blueprints and first drawing everything on CAD. After that, its pretty much a cakewalk, the machine programming is easy for me to write. Is there anyone else out there in somewhat the same situation that has any input/info???
You're not planning on making your own frame, are you?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.