building a 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > building a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default building a 1911

I found several really cool gun parts in an abandoned house we rented. I got several millitary rifles including an 03-A3 Springfield and a G33/40 recievers and barrels only. Among the parts I found was a slide for a millitary 1911. I thought about selling it on ebay or gunbroker but when I started checking around I found that the slide was worth around 200. I also found that on numrich's they have a kit of all parts except frame and slide for around 200 and on other sights I can find a frame for around 200. So with the slide I can buy the parts to put one together for around 400 and some time but I love the tinkering part. Has anyone had any experience with the parts kit, the frames, or putting one together. I was concidering parkerizing it all to match I had good luck refinishing the 03-A3.
Also the gun would not have a serial # would that be a problem as long as I plan to keep the gun and if I ever decide to sell, part it out. any input would be appriciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #2

Would I be better off selling the slide and adding 400 to it to buy one. Or should i try building my own. I really want a millitay style.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 08-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Order a Fusion frame/kit from Brownells. Very affordable, and great quality.

I know someone who would probably want the G33/40.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #4

Thanks i'll check that out.
I have the reciever, barrel, and bolt all original. I couldn't find enough original parts to restore it like I did my 03-a3 so I found k98 parts to make it work and I'm building a stock now to sporterize it.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraywc View Post
Thanks i'll check that out.
I have the reciever, barrel, and bolt all original. I couldn't find enough original parts to restore it like I did my 03-a3 so I found k98 parts to make it work and I'm building a stock now to sporterize it.
Don't cut, grind, drill or refinish any metal. One of these days you may regret it. Got any pics of what you have?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The frame you buy will have a serial # and must be transferred by an FFL.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

I've done a few. I enjoy the search for the correct parts. Get Kuhnhausen's books on the M1911 and study them. Not only will you have diagrams, pictures, and well written text, but also good trouble shooting advice.
Some of the "kits" may or may not have quality parts. If some of the parts in the kit are not to spec, tough, you bought the kit. It's a crap shoot.
Buy the parts from a reputable company who would be willing to exchange parts.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you want a 1911 shooter its best to go with modern metallurgy.

The old warriors were spot heat treated and won't stand up to today's ammo. (Or not as well as contemporary 1911s.)

If I was you, and you did ask, I'd hold onto the slide and learn as much as I could about its origin.

Start with:

Is it a M1911 or a M1911A1 slide?

What’s the roll mark?
M1911 - Colt, Remington-UMC, Springfield Armory (U.S. Government owned & operated) or North American Arms Co. of Quebec
M1911A1 – Colt, Ithaca, Remington-Rand, Union Switch & Signal and Singer Sewing Machine Co.
When the M1911(A1) pistols were rebuilt in a military facility, they were without regard to the maker of the frame, slide or other parts. “Get ‘er done” and back in action was the whole idea. This provides a novice collector with a source of low cost M1911A1s that have mix-matched parts.

I would do one of three things.
  1. Search for one of these mix-matched reman 1911s with a frame that matches the slide, or
  2. Search for a buyer that has one of these mix-matched reman 1911s with a frame that matches your slide.
  3. Sell the slide to canebrake.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

I agree with Cane on most with one exception to his #3 on his list. It should read "sell the slide to danf_fl"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #10

I took a closer look at the slide. The finish is bad and it has several spots that are pitted. It is a Colt M1911. I think I may sell it though and buy my first 1911 and build my next one. In this shape do you know what it is worth.

075.jpg   076.jpg