Broken mainspring housing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Broken mainspring housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Broken mainspring housing

During re-assembly of my Kimber Eclipse Pro II I managed to crack the mainspring housing. A couple questions...

- Am I better off replacing it with a custom piece (Ed Brown, Wilson, etc) or with the original?

- Will a custom piece improve percieved performance?

- Will a custom piece affect resale value?

Spent 15 min on hold with Kimber and had to hang up so not sure if this is covered under their warranty...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I don't own a Kimber, but my guess is that your MSH is plastic/nylon. Either way, just replace it with a higher quality MSH like an Ed Brown or Wilson. Neither would be considered a "custom" MSH. Doubt you will see any improvement in performance. And doubt it will affect resale value. For the most part, guns are like vehicles. Small little improvements don't really add much overall value. But you'll have the piece of mind that you've installed a higher quality part that should last as long as you do.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Most custom MSH are more for aesthetics than performance. While swapping the mainspring itself may effect trigger pull the more noticeable impact of a new MSH will be on the grip and feel of the gun in your hand. There are not many ways to anchor the hammer strut and drive the hammer forward. Midway, Brownells and RRA all carry MSH from about $30-$75.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I have used Ed Brown parts with great success.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I replaced my MSH with a Kimber factory replacment part and I had zero fit or finish issues with it - true drop in.

I went with the extended mag well version and arched backstrap and I am very happy with it as the finish matches exactly, and it replaced the nylon version with metal which is my personal preference.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

jismail- That looks great!! I was going to go with the arched version but I'm now going to seriously consider the extended mag version as well. Question though, where does the drop pin go? Obviously it usually goes in the bottom left of the frame next to the grip (in your pic)...but I don't see it there.

Glad you posted bc I figured since Kimber originally had a plastic piece in there that all their replacements would have been plastic too.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

Actually, another off topic question for you. What tool do you use to disassemble the mag release?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would just replace it with another Kimber Mainspring Housing, because from what I've heard Kimber can be very anal about warranty service particularly about having non Kimber parts on the firearm.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
jismail- That looks great!! I was going to go with the arched version but I'm now going to seriously consider the extended mag version as well. Question though, where does the drop pin go? Obviously it usually goes in the bottom left of the frame next to the grip (in your pic)...but I don't see it there.

Glad you posted bc I figured since Kimber originally had a plastic piece in there that all their replacements would have been plastic too.
The pin is stil there, just covered up by the extended magwell grips which are square cut on the bottom and dont have the pin radius

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #10

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM
Actually, another off topic question for you. What tool do you use to disassemble the mag release?
A small standard screwdriver.