You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Breaking in a 1911? Why waste the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Breaking in a 1911? Why waste the money?

It wasn't too long ago I bought my first 1911...

I heard it a million times thy I needed about a 250 round "break in period".

So I did it. I would bring my new 1911 and blow through 250 rounds.

Then I thought, what the HECK is the difference between shooting $100 worth of ammo to break in your 1911 versus just racking the slide 500 times?

The whole point of the break in period is to make it more reliable be mending the frame and the slide and maybe breaking in the recoil spring...

Those can be accomplished by racking the slide fast and hard a couple hundred times?

Why waste the ammo?

Idk. Maybe this is a stupid question..

Sorry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 AM   #2

Liked 302 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Racking the slide doesn't feed rounds into the chamber, doesn't use the extractor or ejector or firing mechanism. Recoil springs don't "break in."
Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 AM   #3

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2368 Times on 1313 Posts
Likes Given: 6794

The answer is clear to me.
Shooting it is more fun.
What I never understood was the folks that said to lube it up real good.
Why not break it in with very little lube! Now that's for me!..

Anyway you do it, it's worth the accuracy and trigger that few auto-loaders can acheive.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 3750 Times on 2183 Posts
Likes Given: 945

You may be right. When fitting a slide and frame on a 1911 the rail grooves on the slide are narrowed down and the slide is hammered onto and off of the frame several times. Then lapping compound is used and the process is repeated.

Firing the gun with ammo will cycle the slide, frame, barrel, hammer, disconnector, all at once. At the same time you would be running ammo through the mag, up the feed ramp, into the chamber through the throat, and also running the case head and rim up the breach face and under the extractor. You also wear in the trigger parts.

All the while you are familiarizing yourself with that particular gun. You may identify ammo that it doesn't like, changes in point of impact between different loads, etc.

You're going to run the rounds through anyway. No one says you need to break it in all at once. Do regular 50 round range sessions if you want. Cycle it and dry fire with snap caps when you don't shoot it.

If it is a carry gun or defensive piece, how soon will you be confident in reliability with your chosen defensive ammo?

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-30-2015 at 03:39 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2015, 03:54 AM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You may be right. When fitting a slide and frame on a 1911 the rail grooves on the slide are narrowed down and the slide is hammered onto and off of the frame several times. Then lapping compound is used and the process is repeated.

Firing the gun with ammo will cycle the slide, frame, barrel, hammer, disconnector, all at once. At the same time you would be running ammo through the mag, up the feed ramp, into the chamber through the throat, and also running the case head and rim up the breach face and under the extractor. You also wear in the trigger parts.

All the while you are familiarizing yourself with that particular gun. You may identify ammo that it doesn't like, changes in point of impact between different loads, etc.

You're going to run the rounds through anyway. No one says you need to break it in all at once. Do regular 50 round range sessions if you want. Cycle it and dry fire with snap caps when you don't shoot it.

If it is a carry gun or defensive piece, how soon will you be confident in reliability with your chosen defensive ammo?

Just a few thoughts.

Very good points

Didn't think about the trigger and what not, although that wouldn't necessarily have to do with reliability

But I do agree that the most fun about breaking it in finding the perfect match of ammo and magazines, etc.

I also agree that if it is a carry gun, racking the slide wouldn't give me enough confidence to instantly carrying the gun.

I bring this up because with the first 1911 I owned I decided to just go straight to the range and blow through a bunch of ammo...and only after the break in period did I really start to try to identify the perfect combination for reliability.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2828 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1863

If a firearm does not function when you purchase it some thing is wrong. This "Break'in", excuse is a new trick. In the past legitimate gun dealers offered to return the failure to the manufacture.
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
If a firearm does not function when you purchase it some thing is wrong. This "Break'in", excuse is a new trick. In the past legitimate gun dealers offered to return the failure to the manufacture.
You new here? ... ...
We revere our 1911 here. If you want to bash a gun, head over to the Glock SubForum...

The 'break-in' is not a excuse, but becomes part of the over-all gun's fit and function. Mine work fine from the factory, but the smoothness you find only in a 1911 is acheived by use.. Even a $275 pair of Italian shoes, like a bit of a break in. Even a $19 pair of Wrangler Jeans likes a break in. (and I like 'em better after they are broke in).

If you don't own one that smoothed out, then you'll never understand.
Many are content with the boing-boing of a Glock. I cannot be!
People Like This 
Old 09-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #8

Liked 3750 Times on 2183 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
You new here? ... ...
We revere our 1911 here. If you want to bash a gun, head over to the Glock SubForum...

The 'break-in' is not a excuse, but becomes part of the over-all gun's fit and function. Mine work fine from the factory, but the smoothness you find only in a 1911 is acheived by use.. Even a $275 pair of Italian shoes, like a bit of a break in. Even a $19 pair of Wrangler Jeans likes a break in. (and I like 'em better after they are broke in).

If you don't own one that smoothed out, then you'll never understand.
Many are content with the boing-boing of a Glock. I cannot be!
I didn't read quite that much into Capt Ms reply. If there is an obvious defect, then yes, warranty work is to be considered.

My Fusion 1911 that I put together from a slide and frame has been riable since the first round. But you are right. That tight fit remains, but it has gotten smoother and better as it has been fired.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I didn't read quite that much into Capt Ms reply. If there is an obvious defect, then yes, warranty work is to be considered..
I am with both of you, solidly, on this aspect.

I was reading into the 'break-in excuse' part.. If 1 round in 50 has a failure, I say... Continue with the 'break-in'... Grip, Bullet nose shape, rough spots in the feed system, magazines can all be a factor in function, so 250 rounds may or may not solve a problem. But the effort will not go unrewarded when the 'other' problems are solved.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2828 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1863

I expect that many of the members on the forum have different opinions on their 1911 handguns. No one has to leave a forum for having a different experience.
I would also disagree on the break-in solutions. A well lubed handgun has long been used for the first 150 rounds. Be careful, of any handgun that fails to function properly. A few failures may be acceptable. Recognizing tolerance and fit differs from improper machining.