Break in period - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Break in period

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What confuses the hell outta me is that kimber puts their 1k+ prices on their guns and "REQUIRES" a 500rd break in to function reliably, then sometimes after the "break in",they still wont be reliable. Then i have my $500 High Standard that doesnt "require" a 500rd break in and ive put a little over 1,300 rounds through it without a hiccup or a jam. It doesnt make any sense to me. IMO if you pay a small fortune for a 1911, there are things that you expect, and a being reliable out of the box should be one of the main things that should be expected. If it keeps jamming after a couple of boxes, im taking it back.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 03-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #22

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
What confuses the hell outta me is that kimber puts their 1k+ prices on their guns and "REQUIRES" a 500rd break in to function reliably, then sometimes after the "break in",they still wont be reliable. Then i have my $500 High Standard that doesnt "require" a 500rd break in and ive put a little over 1,300 rounds through it without a hiccup or a jam. It doesnt make any sense to me. IMO if you pay a small fortune for a 1911, there are things that you expect, and a being reliable out of the box should be one of the main things that should be expected. If it keeps jamming after a couple of boxes, im taking it back.
It's all based on slide to frame fit. The looser they fit, the more reliable they are. But the trade off comes in accuracy. Loose equates to less accuracy. Tighter...more accuracy. So with guns like Les Baer, and some Kimbers and Springfield's, such as the Trophy Match, a longer period is required for the parts to "wear in" so to speak. At one time many of the Les Baer guns were shipped with very tight fitting slides that required 500 rounds or more before 100% reliability could be achieved. Now I believe the guns require less.

Rock Island Armory and Springfield Armory G.I. Models require very little before they achieve 100% reliability, because the slide to frame tolerances are quite generous. Also the barrel bushings are not as tight. The best medicine for any new 1911 is a good lubrication, followed by several hundred rounds of stoutly loaded Ball ammo. Then a good wet cleaning followed by a relube, and most will be ready to go. And go reliability.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
It's all based on slide to frame fit. The looser they fit, the more reliable they are. But the trade off comes in accuracy. Loose equates to less accuracy. Tighter...more accuracy. So with guns like Les Baer, and some Kimbers and Springfield's, such as the Trophy Match, a longer period is required for the parts to "wear in" so to speak. At one time many of the Les Baer guns were shipped with very tight fitting slides that required 500 rounds or more before 100% reliability could be achieved. Now I believe the guns require less.

Rock Island Armory and Springfield Armory G.I. Models require very little before they achieve 100% reliability, because the slide to frame tolerances are quite generous. Also the barrel bushings are not as tight. The best medicine for any new 1911 is a good lubrication, followed by several hundred rounds of stoutly loaded Ball ammo. Then a good wet cleaning followed by a relube, and most will be ready to go. And go reliability.
My Trophy Match didn't require anything but more ammo. It ran like a clock out of the box. (It's only malfunctions were due to my early inability to get my reloads in spec.) Same with my Dan Wesson, with the exception of one bad mag, clock-like... While a gun will smooth out the more you shoot it, there is no reason to require 500 rds before it functions properly.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
You break in a "bride"
You shoot a gun
HAHAHAHA!
lol

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #25

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My 1911 also has a tight fit and finish, and is very accurate. I just dont buy the excuses from kimber, If you ever call their CS, you will get an ear full of them.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #26

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084
My Trophy Match didn't require anything but more ammo. It ran like a clock out of the box. (It's only malfunctions were due to my early inability to get my reloads in spec.) Same with my Dan Wesson, with the exception of one bad mag, clock-like... While a gun will smooth out the more you shoot it, there is no reason to require 500 rds before it functions properly.
Wilson Combat "breaks in" their guns by firing up to three thousand rounds before it leaves the shop, to ENSURE reliability. Given the cost of ammo, and labor it would require to do this, I'm betting that this is part of the reason they are so very expensive. For the money, I'd rather break it in myself.

I don't agree with billt on many things, however in my estimation he is 100% correct on his assessment of the break in period.

Canebrake has an excellent post somewhere on 1911 break-in. I had all kinds of trouble with one of my Kimbers until I came across an old "1911 guy", who gave me near verbatim, the same advice as Cane lined out. Never a problem since.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Wilson Combat "breaks in" their guns by firing up to three thousand rounds before it leaves the shop, to ENSURE reliability. Given the cost of ammo, and labor it would require to do this, I'm betting that this is part of the reason they are so very expensive. For the money, I'd rather break it in myself.

I don't agree with billt on many things, however in my estimation he is 100% correct on his assessment of the break in period.

Canebrake has an excellent post somewhere on 1911 break-in. I had all kinds of trouble with one of my Kimbers until I came across an old "1911 guy", who gave me near verbatim, the same advice as Cane lined out. Never a problem since.
Somehow I find the 3000 rd claim to be a bit much. What your saying is that around a $1000 of the price of a new Wilson is some guy shooting it, EXTENSIVELY?
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #28

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Somehow I find the 3000 rd claim to be a bit much. What your saying is that around a $1000 of the price of a new Wilson is some guy shooting it, EXTENSIVELY?
That's what the guy said on the TV show during the "inside" tour, yes.

I'll try to find the info and post a link to it.

And it was "up to" or "as many as" or something to that effect. Not necessarily 3000 every time. Based on that, I would assume that 500 rounds, as stated, would probably be closer to the norm.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #29

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Wilson Combat "breaks in" their guns by firing up to three thousand rounds before it leaves the shop, to ENSURE reliability. Given the cost of ammo, and labor it would require to do this, I'm betting that this is part of the reason they are so very expensive. For the money, I'd rather break it in myself. I don't agree with billt on many things, however in my estimation he is 100% correct on his assessment of the break in period.

Les Baer runs between 120 and 150 rounds through his guns.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I PM'd a WC rep on another forum.

Typical firing for WC pistols is 80 to 100 rds, barring any weirdness.

NRA Life Member