Break in period - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Break in period

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1024 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I want to add.... I know that a gun performs better after it stretches its legs a little, but if you add up 500 rounds of ammo,say even 800. Thats a small chunk of change that you are spending just to get it to "proper working condition" that it should already have. Its just to big of a gamble that im not willing to take. Malfunctions create frustration, frustration leads to added stress, which in return makes you not trusting or confident in your gun. Once a gun has malfunctions, the question will always be in the back of your mind "when is it gonna jam again? And what if it jams whenever my life is on the line?"

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Send it to me, along with 1000 rounds of ammo and I'll do it for you.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #13

Liked 2394 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire
Send it to me, along with 1000 rounds of ammo and I'll do it for you.
If you are busy, I will gladly help you out with that.....

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I want to add.... I know that a gun performs better after it stretches its legs a little, but if you add up 500 rounds of ammo,say even 800. Thats a small chunk of change that you are spending just to get it to "proper working condition" that it should already have. Its just to big of a gamble that im not willing to take. Malfunctions create frustration, frustration leads to added stress, which in return makes you not trusting or confident in your gun. Once a gun has malfunctions, the question will always be in the back of your mind "when is it gonna jam again? And what if it jams whenever my life is on the line?"
Yep, when your ass is on the line that's the last thing you need going through your head.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Now let me see if I read this right,? You want to carry a gun for SD without firing a few hundred rounds through it,? Just because you paid big bucks for it.? Ever hear of Murphy's Law.?Good luck to you if you ever need that gun to save your life on.?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #16

Liked 1024 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL
Now let me see if I read this right,? You want to carry a gun for SD without firing a few hundred rounds through it,? Just because you paid big bucks for it.? Ever hear of Murphy's Law.?Good luck to you if you ever need that gun to save your life on.?
Ya Murphy, i hate that effin guy!! The son of a b!tch follows me around everywhere. I keep telling him to leave me the hell alone, but he keeps showing up!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok ok yeah I get it guys, I'm new to 1911s, I now know they need a few 100 rounds thru them to be dependable lol

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahan View Post
Ok ok yeah I get it guys, I'm new to 1911s, I now know they need a few 100 rounds thru them to be dependable lol
It's not just that. It's also the issue that you're buying the firearm as a primary self defense tool. You're talking about a situation which is high stress, high panic, with your heart rate rolling well above the recommended speed limit, and you have absolutely NO practice with the firearm?
If you fully intend to carry for SD, you MUST see to it that you have muscle memory drilled in your mind and muscles so that when you go to draw in a life or death situation, your body does what is right, rather than you dropping it, getting it stuck in the holster, shooting an innocent bystander or any other number of bad situations.
Not to sound like a smartazz, but you're talking about carrying a tool. A sidearm is, at it's base, a hunk of polymer/metal that does absolutely nothing without your interaction. It is the inanimate object that YOU have to be skilled with.
It is NOT a pocket ninja that magically jumps off your hip and beats the hell out of whoever is trying to attack you.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Every mechanical device should be checked out to be sure it functions properly & especially pistols. I don't know that this means a specific number of rounds & I wonder about Kimber's thing about requiring 500 rounds. I can't remember the maker, but I read where one of the high end manufacturers tells their customers to not clean or lube their pistols until 500 rounds, because they come with a special lube for break-in. If I spend that kinda money for a hand fitted pistol, I'll follow their instructions. But, when I had about 250 rounds through my Kimber, I deemed it fit to carry.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #20

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I wouldn't call it needing a "break in" as much as I would call it requiring an extended test fire to assure confidence in reliability. This only if you intend to use the weapon in any type of self defense posture. If it's just a range or fun gun, don't worry about it.