Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree with Axxe55... I believe the jist of Cane's post was to instill that you should run the gun for a while before tearing it apart to make "improvements".. It's not unreasonable to require the 500 round break in.. Kimber posts that because anyone who has owned or run a Kimber knows how tight they're guns are from the factory. Every piece of machinery requires breaking in of some sort.

Thing to also remember is that no one is all knowing and all powerful when it comes to firearms.. Best any of us can do is share our knowledge based on exp. I trust that Cane is most likely the best 1911 guy on this forum..

Kerfwango... One thing I have learned over the course of my time in this forum is that you need a thick skin... Get that and you'll survive much better in here...

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 02-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #22

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

You make a good point Cane. I used to get my panties in a bunch everytime my new AR had a problem. Now I ju ost go with it and let the problem solve itself. And thats good advice on putting different amount of rounds in the mag to see how it feeds and locks.

Thanks for the tips

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I agree with Axxe55... I believe the jist of Cane's post was to instill that you should run the gun for a while before tearing it apart to make "improvements".. It's not unreasonable to require the 500 round break in.. Kimber posts that because anyone who has owned or run a Kimber knows how tight they're guns are from the factory. Every piece of machinery requires breaking in of some sort.

Thing to also remember is that no one is all knowing and all powerful when it comes to firearms.. Best any of us can do is share our knowledge based on exp. I trust that Cane is most likely the best 1911 guy on this forum..

Kerfwango... One thing I have learned over the course of my time in this forum is that you need a thick skin... Get that and you'll survive much better in here...
thanks OldMan. i find Cane to be very knowledgeable when it comes to anything pertaining to 1911's and would take anything he says about them with much consideration.

Kerfwango, OldMan is right, you need to grow a thick skin, and if you don't agree with Cane on his assessment and advice on the 1911 pistols, no one is forcing you to follow that advice. if you feel your gun guru friend is more knowledgeable and want to defer to his advise and opinion, then that's your right, but attacking Cane and a person many of us refer to for advice on the 1911, isn't a way to make any friends here. it's free advice, you're free to use it or not.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Ive got a little different opinion. If a gun doesnt run out of the box with just a cleaning to get the shipping grease of it. It gets sold and im not likely to purchase from that maker in the future.

The only gun ive had that didnt run from round 1 on was a kimber...

Colt says if it doesnt work out of the box its defective send it back. I agree with that philosophy. Im spending hundreds on a firearm it should work without issues.

Im currently having severe trouble with my savage 10 its partially closing on a nogo gage from the factory. Im considering making it safe to shoot then selling it. I really want to like it as its pretty accurate has all the features i want but its got severe misfire problems.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Ive got a little different opinion. If a gun doesnt run out of the box with just a cleaning to get the shipping grease of it. It gets sold and im not likely to purchase from that maker in the future.

The only gun ive had that didnt run from round 1 on was a kimber...

Colt says if it doesnt work out of the box its defective send it back. I agree with that philosophy. Im spending hundreds on a firearm it should work without issues.

Im currently having severe trouble with my savage 10 its partially closing on a nogo gage from the factory. Im considering making it safe to shoot then selling it. I really want to like it as its pretty accurate has all the features i want but its got severe misfire problems.
I have two Kimbers. One ran perfect from day one. It has an aluminum frame, if it matters. The other, all steel, was a basket case early on. FTE, FTF, the works. That is until the colt guy who owns the range where I shoot, gave me NEAR IDENTICAL advice to that posted by Canebrake on this thread. The heavy ammo cleared up the cycling problems almost immediately, and once past the 500 rd mark or so, it began to gobble up everything I fed it.

They are now both FLAWLESS performers.

Obviously, it is ya'lls prerogative to have whatever opinion you like. For ME however, I don't find it beyond reasonable to follow the manufacturers guideline as to how to use/break in/whatever their product.

Am I saying they are better than colt? Nope. Mine cost half of what a comparable colt would have tho. What I am saying is the advice given to start this thread, in MY experience, is 100% dead on.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #26

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

[LIST=1][*]Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket noob) ammo downrange.[*]Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Just curious if you are suggesting NEVER to shoot HP out of a 1911 or expect inferior performance from doing so, or if you are just saying wait until you have verified it works correctly for 500 rounds before doing so?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #27

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Just curious if you are suggesting NEVER to shoot HP out of a 1911 or expect inferior performance from doing so, or if you are just saying wait until you have verified it works correctly for 500 rounds before doing so?
Wow, guess I really stirred the pot a tad.

To all out there that know me and my rather dry sense of humor, thanks for having my back.

For the rest of you nancy boys out there that got your panties in a knot, lighten-up. Me thinks thou dost protest too loudly.

Do you know how many fine production guns have been ruined with mods made to them before they get their first copper deposit.

We will never know because of the embarrassing position the owner is placed in by asking for help to undo the ill thought-out changes.

It takes years to become comfortable with the 1911. First time 1911 buyers should stay out of the inner-workings of this gun especially if it's to be used for CCW or HD/PD.

Yunus, to answer your question, the ball ammo is used to find out if the gun is running. If your first box of ammo run through the "new gun" is HP's and you have an issue with feeding I can tell you near-verbatim what the customer support's first question will be. Wanna guess?

Once I get the new gun past the 500 rounds of ball, my next decision is "what will I use the gun for?" If its to be used for CCW I try a variety of HPs and see if there is an issue with any. Before I put the "new gun" into carry service, I run 200 rounds of the carry choice ammo through it with zero defects.
When I reach the 100% confidence level with the piece, and only then will I put my life in it's care.

Oh yea, for the nancy boys out there, I clean my carry piece after every use, and when that use is greater than two weeks, it gets a cleaning/inspection just so it knows I still love her.

My range lizards get cleaned when they need cleaned.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 06-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #28

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Yunus, to answer your question, the ball ammo is used to find out if the gun is running. If your first box of ammo run through the "new gun" is HP's and you have an issue with feeding I can tell you near-verbatim what the customer support's first question will be. Wanna guess?

Once I get the new gun past the 500 rounds of ball, my next decision is "what will I use the gun for?" If its to be used for CCW I try a variety of HPs and see if there is an issue with any. Before I put the "new gun" into carry service, I run 200 rounds of the carry choice ammo through it with zero defects.
When I reach the 100% confidence level with the piece, and only then will I put my life in it's care.

Oh yea, for the nancy boys out there, I clean my carry piece after every use, and when that use is greater than two weeks, it gets a cleaning/inspection just so it knows I still love her.

My range lizards get cleaned when the need cleaned.
Makes perfect sense to me. It's what I thought you were saying as I could not imagine you saying any old 1911 would be incapable of shooting HP's but I wanted clarification. I've not run 200 home defense rounds through my 1911 but I still have not had a FTF.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #29

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am noob but a proud one. I am always trying to learn more and don't take offense when someone tells me something new. If anything I want people to know I Am a novice so I can recieve explanations that make sense to me. In the end it's nice to be able to laugh about ones own ignorance and newfound knowledge.

Thanks for the thread cane, alot to think about as I am picking up my first 1911 (sig stx) tomorrow.

Getem

Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #30

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

** bump **

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread