Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/break-criminal-activity-noob-mis-speak-57750/)

canebrake 02-15-2012 12:44 AM

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

The problem with new 1911's and particularly with new 1911 users is summed up in the first post they make after the cash has been exchanged for the gun; "Just got my new (fill in the blank) 1911, what can I do to improve her?" Most of the time this question is posted before the gun is released from purgatory.

Want to improve your new gun? Then open the box and RTFM.

This predicament is what I call P.E.B.T.A.H. (Problem Exists Between Trigger And Holster) and can be verified with statements like on my second clip (it’s a magazine) the gun jams. Really? You know there’s an issue and you have only run 14 rounds?
  1. Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket) ammo downrange.
  2. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot (during this test).
  3. Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition)
  4. Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection. If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand.
  5. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a "New Gun Test" to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
  • Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
  • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
  • Where does the brass fall?
  • Does the gun feel solid?
  • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
  • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)
  • Trigger take-up?
  • Trigger break? It should be a surprise.
  • Trigger reset?
  • Does it shoot to aim?
  • Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it. You may discover it's fine, just the way the engineers designed it.

You’ll thank us.

partdeux 02-15-2012 01:06 AM

have a post or two get under your skin today? LOL

canebrake 02-15-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 708881)
have a post or two get under your skin today? LOL

When you're as old as me.....everything gets under your skin.

cankiller 02-15-2012 09:13 AM

Maybe its just their way of saying "Hey.....look what I got"......

thanks for the advice though

danf_fl 02-15-2012 10:16 AM

Cane, as always, you are spot on.

Thanks.

pfev1980 02-15-2012 10:45 AM

I get and agree with what you are saying to an extent, but if a gun jams on the first round of every second mag you put through it, it seems silly to put 500 rounds (~$200 of federal) before you start asking what you/the gun is doing wrong. I think after a box if you have a repetitive problem you can start to narrow it down.

I absolutely agree. That's why I call it a "New Gun Test" and with results ^ as listed would have me back to the factory ASAP! - cane

Gert999 02-15-2012 11:01 AM

I'm on ur side had to explain this to the woman just got a new ruger p95 only put three hundred rounds through it so far. told her one of the mags is having some FTE and FTF, she freaked out thinking i had bought a crap gun. Put 100 rounds first day with 4-6 problems with the one mag next day put another 200 and only had 3-4 problems. you have to work the gun in it's not a drill that u can pull out the box and run full bore till the batteries die, it has many small peices that all need to get broke in like a good pair of boots.

pfev1980 02-15-2012 11:24 AM

Yeah I get that, but with the experience here, I think after a hundred or two rounds someone could say, is this normal? They may just be doing something wrong, or someone could reassure them and say, yeah my gun did that too try another 200 rounds, or say, holy crap, thats unsafe, box it up!

HOSSFLY 02-15-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 708922)
When you're as old as me.....everything gets under your skin.

I can relate----
Been having (or trying) to think twice before i type lately on more than a couple of posts :o

HOSSFLY 02-15-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfev1980 (Post 709238)
Yeah I get that, but with the experience here, I think after a hundred or two rounds someone could say, is this normal? They may just be doing something wrong, or someone could reassure them and say, yeah my gun did that too try another 200 rounds, or say, holy crap, thats unsafe, box it up!

How many times do you think it should be said tho?