Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Boomer's new home (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/boomers-new-home-33750/)

NGIB 10-29-2010 10:16 PM

Boomer's new home

2 Attachment(s)
While the .460 Rowland kit worked great in my modded Springer Mil-Spec, I wanted to find a platform I could dedicate to it. I've been cruising all the local sites looking for a new host - and I found one. A store in Savannah had a Taurus 1911 in stainless that was a tad cosmetically challenged as it has a lot of scuffs on the slide. I PM'd Bear and asked if this would work and he said it would as he ran the kit in a Taurus. I shot up there after work and walked out with the gun for a shade over $420 including tax - I'm pleased.

I broke the gun down completely when I got home and it was mechanically good but really dirty. I cleaned and lubed it well and removed the lock from the hammer just because. I reassembled it to check function and it was AOK. Then I took the .460 kit and installed it. No problems at all as it dropped right in. Bear advised me to use the lighter (20#) spring so I did. I'll need to polish up the slide and buff out the scuff marks but as of now - Boomer is functional again...

stalkingbear 10-29-2010 10:54 PM

Glad to hear it! I know you can't wait to try it out. Good catch there on the Taurus PT1911. Now you'll be able to say you're a Taurus owner:eek:. Seriously I trust the 1911s from Taurus a LOT more than their other pistols. I hope yours shoots as good as mine does.

CA357 10-29-2010 10:55 PM

Congrats. Now you have a Bullboomer. :D

Squirrel_Slayer 10-29-2010 11:05 PM

All of the recent posts have me reconsidering whether my next pistol will be a .44 mag or a Springer Mil Spec GI model with a .460 kit in it. Why do you guys keep putting these crazy ideas in my head?!?!? NGIB, gonna be a sharp looking pistol with a little bit of elbow grease polishing it up.

IGETEVEN 10-29-2010 11:26 PM

Mighty fine switch up and find there Dave. Mighty fine indeed......:cool:

Let us know how she shoots, and don't leave any details out! :D

Mr. Bluesky 10-29-2010 11:50 PM

That's (I can't believe I'm saying this) a damn nice Taurus!

Dillinger 10-29-2010 11:55 PM

Now that looks a hell of a lot better. That black on stanless is DEAD sexy. ;)

Nice find there NGIB!

JD

NGIB 10-29-2010 11:59 PM

I think I'm going to play with the slide and try for a brushed finish rather than polished. Since I don't have much invested in it, I'm free to screw around with it without risking serious $$$. If it doesn't come out good, I'll just have it "painted"...

Dillinger 10-30-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 377087)
I think I'm going to play with the slide and try for a brushed finish rather than polished. Since I don't have much invested in it, I'm free to screw around with it without risking serious $$$. If it doesn't come out good, I'll just have it "painted"...

You can send the slide in to Robar and have it coated with NP3

Robar NP3 Firearms Finish

Slide only is $120
Slide & internal parts including barrel is $160

Coating will last forever and you will never have to worry about it again. :p

FCross7 10-30-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 377084)
Now that looks a hell of a lot better. That black on stanless is DEAD sexy. ;)

Nice find there NGIB!

JD

Agreed. I also think it would look really nice if you got a black trigger, beavertail, slide release, safety etc. The contrast of the two would be pretty sweet looking.

-Fred