Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > bogus? colt frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bogus? colt frame

HELLO ALL!, i'm new here and hope someone can answer a question for me. I just purchased a ww1 (or so i was told) .45 colt auto. the slide says on the rt., "model of 1911 u.s. army" on the left it says, "patented apr.20,1897 sept.9,1902 dec.19,1905 feb.14,1911. aug.19,1913" " colts pt.fa mfg.co. hartford,ct.u.s.a." I believe the slide is correct, however, the frame is another story, the seller said alot of people ground (or buffed) off the u.s. army part and left the ser. no. it's 3122xx. did i get ripped off or is it possible he was telling me the truth, i'd welcome ANY help! THANKS!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc1945 View Post
HELLO ALL!, i'm new here and hope someone can answer a question for me. I just purchased a ww1 (or so i was told) .45 colt auto. the slide says on the rt., "model of 1911 u.s. army" on the left it says, "patented apr.20,1897 sept.9,1902 dec.19,1905 feb.14,1911. aug.19,1913" " colts pt.fa mfg.co. hartford,ct.u.s.a." I believe the slide is correct, however, the frame is another story, the seller said alot of people ground (or buffed) off the u.s. army part and left the ser. no. it's 3122xx. did i get ripped off or is it possible he was telling me the truth, i'd welcome ANY help! THANKS!!!
WELCOME jayc1945, glad to have you aboard!

Your serial number looks to be a 1911 Colt built in 1918. (Colt: S/N 290,000 to 450,000 = May, 1918 to Oct. 24, 1918)

The receiver mod was probably an attempt to remove the "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" roll mark.

Did you get ripped off? You tell me, does the gun run? Barrel condition? Are the stocks original and what condition? Any parts missing? Are the parts original? Any mods like trigger or hammer swaps? What did you pay for it? Other than the highly buffed receiver, any other hard life witness marks?

I'm a 1911 fan. If I were looking at a warrior without provenance, AND depending what condition the gun is currently presenting, you should expect to pay any where from $150 - 500.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-19-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

THANKS! canebrake for the info, actually, the gun was purchased to be able to shoot (i don't own them if i can't shoot them) the overall cond. is pretty good with what i perceive as a correct patina on all the parts considering it's age, with the exception of the grips which look fairly new, and an aluminum trigger. the gun shoots fine with the occasional feed jam which i think i could fix with another clip. i paid $500. for it. but my auto-ord. .45 does that periodically too depending on what ammo i'm using.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

A photo would be great, but a mature, running 'ole Colt warrior would be, IMHO, worth the 500$.

This is my Dad's M1911A1 he carried from Normandy 1944 to Dachau 1945. We call it Dad's shave-kit CCH (Concealed Carry Home) and feel he was deserving of the act!

1restoreleft.jpg

1restoreright666.jpg

Here it is all dressed up and looking pimp! (Never fired in this condition but I did use the photo to punk JD!)

1roland-phony.jpg

A Word of Advice:

These old warriors are spot heat treated and NOT built to handle hot loads. The barrel will be fine but the receiver (frame) can not, and will not last running +P ammo.

Treat her well and she will last a life time. I retired my Dad's a few years back. We (the family) would go to a range on Thanksgiving Day for a shoot in memory of Dad.

When one of my sons asked, "Will continued shooting reduce the value of Grand Dad's gun?" it hit me like a ton of bricks!

This wasn't my gun, I was only responsible for it while in my stewardship and it will continue in it's progress of stewardship by being handed down to the grand kids!

My retirement of the Ithaca is due to it's provenance. Without this added value, you should feel free to shoot your Colt as much as you want.

I contacted Bill Adair, a renowned 1911 restorer, to have this gun put back in "as issued" condition.

Antique and Classic Firearms restorations by Bill Adair Restoration and Lettering

I am now the proud owner of this Bill Adair rejection letter;

Hi, Canebrake:
Every once in a while I have to say 'leave it alone'.The Ithaca looks pretty good, and a restoration would devalue that gun.
The Luger appears to be a WWII Mauser? Maybe an S/42? These often have the problem of coming out plum/red in certain areas, like the sear is now, due to extreme hardness. For that reason, and even though that's the way they came from the factory.
So, I'd really have to pass on both.
Thanks,
Bill
This letter went right into the provenance scrapbook!

Should you desire to have your Colt restored, you can't do better than Bill!

Good luck with your Colt, run a ton of hardball through her and keep us in the information loop.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-30-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Default Thanks! Canebrake

THANK YOU for all your info, by the way, you should be honored to have your fathers .45,(as i'm sure you are!) it's because of men like him and those glorious firearms that make collecting them so special to guys like me. without them, we wouldn't have the freedoms that we do today, and unfortunately, many people take for granted! .......keep fighting the good fight and thanks again!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc1945 View Post
THANK YOU for all your info, by the way, you should be honored to have your fathers .45,(as i'm sure you are!) it's because of men like him and those glorious firearms that make collecting them so special to guys like me. without them, we wouldn't have the freedoms that we do today, and unfortunately, many people take for granted! .......keep fighting the good fight and thanks again!
Everyone's Father is a hero to his kids.

So was my Dad.

Thanks Dad.

- orangello