Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Big hands and a mag well extender...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Big hands and a mag well extender...

My hands are roughly the size of a grizzly's, seriously they are freakishly huge! Particularly my palms. So I just bought my first 1911. I picked up the Ruger SR in the commander style, Full size frame, shorter barrel. Sits in my IWB holster wonderfully! I have been very happy with it and I feel that as far as 1911's go, it is a great introductory gun. My future has a few more 1911 purchases in it for sure!!

Anyway, this weekend I spent some time at the range and put about 500 rounds through the gun, my hand was pretty sore. In particular the area of my palm that is engaged by the bottom corner of the grip where the magwell ends. As it is my palm/hand hangs over that quite a bit. I was looking at a Smith and Alexander magwell extender, and I though that might be a possible solution to my discomfort.

Anyone who has installed this option care to chime in on the comfort of the add-on? I would love to hear from those with bigger hands if possible. As of right now it is my only hang up with the 1911 frame.

Thanks guys!

Ashton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts

I know what you are referring to with the lower corner digging into your palm. "Bobbed" or rounded mainspring housing guns like the Sig nightmare series feel a lot better in my large hands. I have no experience with the mag well extender. Let us know what you decide on.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think its more about a new handgun owner getting broke in. Not really about your hand except for being sore. Watch some videos of hickok45. mans got paws for hands , basketball player hands and can shoot the heck of for some very small pistol even using hs middle pad on the trigger at times.

500 rounds at your first setting more than likely is whats wrong. Maybe a larger grip panels will help or something like Hogue wrap around grips. Grips can be found up to .295 thick. http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/pistol-enhancements/1911.html

Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I think its more about a new handgun owner getting broke in. Not really about your hand except for being sore. Watch some videos of hickok45. mans got paws for hands , basketball player hands and can shoot the heck of for some very small pistol even using hs middle pad on the trigger at times.

500 rounds at your first setting more than likely is whats wrong. Maybe a larger grip panels will help or something like Hogue wrap around grips. Grips can be found up to .295 thick. http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/pistol-enhancements/1911.html
My thoughts as well.
500 rds at one sitting is a lot. I don't believe I've ever shot more than 250 rounds of .45 in a day.
I have Hogue rubber panels on my SA Trophy Match. They do thicken up the grip noticeably. They are cheap too. If you decide you hate them your only out, like $13.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
bigred61 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Yeah thinking back, I think 500 was a bit zealous, but hey, I was excited

Anyway I was in the LGS yesterday and was looking at a used .45. It has a arched magwell extender and a set of VZ grips with a thumb notch. I noticed that the comfort of the hold was much better compared to mine, it seemed fuller and more natural in my hand. I may try out a arched main spring housing before going with a magewell extender. The main spring housing is quite a bit less than the extender, so if I do not like it, I am not out as much.

Thanks for the links on the grips.

Ashton

Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Smith & Alexander makes mainspring housings with a mag well attached. They're not too expensive. I have big hands and find the arched housing on my Springfield uncomfortable. I'm looking at going the other way to a flat housing.