Best and worst - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best and worst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I was also thinking about best and worst mags, I've had good guns that wouldn't run because of a bad magazine before.

My top three;
Wilson "47D"
Chip McCormic "shooting star"
Mecgar "4508"

These are good dependable mags, yes I've heard complaints about each model, but they've all worked great for me without an issue, the CMC "shooting stars" tend to have the most favorable pricing. CMC and MecGar make mags for a lot of well known 1911 manufacturers.

Honorable mention;
I've heard a lot of good things about Metalform, but never used them.

Worst;
I've bought a few decent holsters and belts from "Triple K" in the past, but their "G.I." 1911 magazines are absolutely the worst mags I've ever attempted to use in my life, they fell apart so fast they should have been labled "bic" on the side because they weren't re-usable after they were emptied!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
I was also thinking about best and worst mags, I've had good guns that wouldn't run because of a bad magazine before.

My top three;
Wilson "47D"
Chip McCormic "shooting star"
Mecgar "4508"

These are good dependable mags, yes I've heard complaints about each model, but they've all worked great for me without an issue, the CMC "shooting stars" tend to have the most favorable pricing. CMC and MecGar make mags for a lot of well known 1911 manufacturers.

Honorable mention;
I've heard a lot of good things about Metalform, but never used them.

Worst;
I've bought a few decent holsters and belts from "Triple K" in the past, but their "G.I." 1911 magazines are absolutely the worst mags I've ever attempted to use in my life, they fell apart so fast they should have been labled "bic" on the side because they weren't re-usable after they were emptied!
I'll 2nd that.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
Before you get to proud of your Norincos, you should know that this company also sells the following to countries such as Iran. Who inturn sneaks them across the border to be fired at our troops, me included.

It gets pretty demoralizing to have these weapons fired at you, (complete with the their markings)., and then see people in your own country supporting them.
While we're at it, I'll 2nd that!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #14

Thank you, mr1911.
I just wish the people buying these products from Norinco could keep in mind that alot of our troops are coming home either dead or missing limbs because of this Co. They probably don't even realize there's is a connection.
Please, I urge everyone to at least do Google search and see what this Co. has done, you'll see what I mean and more.
They where making the Scud missiles, components and sending them into Iraq, When were fighting!!!!!
They are still sending as many weapons as they can across the border to this day.

Will Rogers

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #15

The ban on Norinco was probably the only thing the Clinton era did regarding guns that I agreed with, I'm allways amazed that there are fans of them in this country, ignorance is bliss I guess.

God speed 753XO.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

If you get bogged down in a political aspect of products - many would be disqualified using the Norinco logic. As all Chinese companies are basically state owned - you would have to quit buying ALL Chinese products. In point of fact, we the US, sold many a weapon that is used against us - especially in the middle east.

Back to the subject at hand. You didn't step on my toes at all - I'm just pointing out that your opinions are just that - opinions. Some are going to agree with you and some aren't. I don't "love" my Norinco any more than my other 1911s - they are all functional tools to me. I try to share my experiences with the guns I own, shoot and work on and claim no expertise for any that I haven't personally dealt with.

For someone wanting to get into the 1911 arena, I have absolutely no problem recommending any of the Armscor made guns - very good quality at a reasonable price. Yes, the frames are cast instead of forged; however, unless you're putting many thousands of rounds through them yearly - it really doesn't matter.

As far as S&W goes, I think they make a great 1911 but many purists really don't like the external extractor. Due to the really crappy job that Kimber did with external extractors, many assume that the S&W is in the same category - not true. S&W has been building external extractor semi-autos for many years and they got it right. I consider my S&W the equal of any of my others in terms of quality. Price wise they stack up with the other mid-grade 1911s quite well. I paid $650 for my lightly used stainless model.

The bottom line is that the 1911 in its many flavors is a great platform. I actually agree with mr1911 that the Springer Mil-Spec (not the GI) is one of the best entry-level models out there...

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
The ban on Norinco was probably the only thing the Clinton era did regarding guns that I agreed with, I'm allways amazed that there are fans of them in this country, ignorance is bliss I guess.

God speed 753XO.
Lets see, German, Italian, and Russian guns have also been used against US troops at some point. More AKs have been used against us than probably any other gun - do we ban them as well? Quit buying Sigs and Berettas?

I am a veteran myself and have a son currently serving in the Army - and he has already completed a tour in Iraq. I'd rather not be called ignorant nor have my patriotism called into question - I come here to discuss guns. You mr1911 are the one making this personal...

Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #18

NGIB, I'm not aware of Sig or Beretta supplying Extremists and the Taliban with weapons. I they were, my opinion would be the same as that of Norinco. Who is supplying them covertly to this day.
I don't have anything against firearms manufactured in other countries, just the ones that are actively engaging in aiding our enemies. Like I wrote before, do a Google search and look. They, Norinco, was caught redhanded smuggling components for Chem. Scud missiles into Iraq while we were at war with them. Do some research.
I'm talking about the present day, not wars that happened long ago. Sure we sold a lot of countries weapons, but we didn't have a crystal ball at the time, it seemed like the right choice. Hindsight is 20/20.
Considering your Sig. line and the fact that you had a son on duty over there, I'm very surprised at your opinion.

Will Rogers

Last edited by 753X0; 08-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #19

Quote:
NGIB, I'm not aware of Sig or Beretta supplying Extremists and the Taliban with weapons. I they were, my opinion would be the same as that of Norinco. Who is supplying them covertly to this day.
I don't have anything against firearms manufactured in other countries, just the ones that are actively engaging in aiding our enemies. Like I wrote before, do a Google search and look. They, Norinco, was caught redhanded smuggling components for Chem. Scud missiles into Iraq while we were at war with them. Do some research.
I'm talking about the present day, not wars that happened long ago. Sure we sold a lot of countries weapons, but we didn't have a crystal ball at the time, it seemed like the right choice. Hindsight is 20/20.
Considering your Sig. line and the fact that you had a son on duty over there, I'm very surprised at your opinion.
I was thinking the same thing, Norinco is actively at pressent in the terrorist arms trade, comparing it to a modern Italian made Barretta or German made SIG just because we were at war with those countries more than half a century ago is quite a stretch.

NGIB, my statement was generalized toward no one in particular, sorry for stepping on your toes again. if I wanted to call you out by name I would have,....like I said before sorry for stating my opinion I know that those other than our own are never based on any facts simply because they are different from our own.

America is a free country where a person can love their Norinco or Armscor, and people can get online and talk about why they don't like them or preffer another brand, sorry if this offends the "opinions" of others, but they are also free to snipe all they want or go somewhere else and discuss things that don't offend them.......

Last edited by mr1911; 08-23-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Before you get to proud of your Norincos, you should know that this company also sells the following to countries such as Iran. Who inturn sneaks them across the border to be fired at our troops, me included.

ETA: I'm like to add that I think this company is not the norm for China, alot of things are made in their country that are just fine, (although I'd like to see our trade deficit more balanced).
Norinco, is what I'm talking about. It gets pretty demoralizing to have these weapons fired at you, (complete with the their markings)., and then see people in your own country supporting them.

# QBZ-95, an assault rifle
#Norinco-designed QBZ-95 rifle.
# QBB 95, a squad automatic weapon version of the QBZ-95
#Type 56, a clone of the Russian AK47
# Type 86S bullpup assault rifle
# Type 88 sniper rifle
# Type 69 RPG anti-armor rocket launcher, a clone of the RPG-7
# Type 98 anti-tank rocket 120 mm anti-tank rocket system
Buying or owning a norinco is not supporting terrorism. I, for one. do not research every detail of what manufacturer does before purchasing. I simply look for the best quality and price I can find.