Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Best mold for casting' (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/best-mold-casting-64173/)

Dfend 05-10-2012 12:19 AM

Best mold for casting'

Just started reloading my own ammo for my 1911. And I wanted to start casting my own bullets out of lead. Anyone got any suggestions on molds? Was looking at the Lee .45 acp 230 grain round nose mold. Im wondering how the rounds shoot. Do they make a lot of mess in the chamber cause they aren't jacketed. If anyone has used this would appreciate some feed back!

Rick1967 05-10-2012 12:47 AM

I use the 200 grain round nose flat point. I use the 6 cavity mold by lee. I use pure lead. I can shoot 50 rounds without any problem. But when I get close to 100 rounds the start to tumble and keyhole. I lead the barrel pretty bad. But I take a copper chore boy pad that is cut up. I wrap it around a 38 caliber brush. It pulls all the lead out of the barrel in less and a minute with hardly any effort at all. I have shot thousands of rounds like this through my 1911 with no problem at all. I load mine hot for lead too. I like Lee moulds. They heat up and cool down quick. I use a tumble lube, also by Lee. It is the liquid Alox.

canebrake 05-10-2012 02:15 AM

Do you have the equipment to do the casting? If not, the capital investment is going to take a ton of time to recoup.

You may want to try some commercially available bullets first, then pick the style that works best in your gun and go from there.

Here are a few I have purchased from:

Missouri Bullet - Pistol Bullets - .45 ACP

Powder Valley

Rick1967 05-10-2012 03:32 AM

I started with a $20 melting pot a $19 two cavity mold and a bucket full of wheel weights. I have come a long way since then. I have about 15 molds and a 20 lb production pot. The hard part now is finding lead. Wheel weights are hard to come by. Tire shops used to give them away for free. Not any more. They are very tight fisted with them now. That is why I use pure lead. I buy it at a recycling center.

Rick1967 05-10-2012 03:46 AM

I purchase lead for less than .60 a lb. a 200 grain bullet uses less than .02 worth of lead. Berrys plated bullets run about .13 - .15 each. I do it as a hobby so I dont count my time. I figure I save about 85%. I can produce about 300 bullets in an hour. But I pour several different types bullets in a sitting. That way my molds dont overheat. That is of course using 6 cavity molds.

Dfend 05-10-2012 09:03 AM

Thanks for your input guys. Yeah I have been looking at this for a while as a hobby. It doesn't seem too hard. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to melt tire weights. Looks fun but more so I just wanna be able to do it. The molds dont seem to be that expensive.
One thing I was concerned about was leading the barrel. Thanks for going over that!
Thanks for the input. Keepm comin!

Dfend 05-10-2012 04:04 PM

Rick your input has been very helpful thank you

joken 05-18-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 795733)
Do you have the equipment to do the casting? If not, the capital investment is going to take a ton of time to recoup.

You may want to try some commercially available bullets first, then pick the style that works best in your gun and go from there.

Here are a few I have purchased from:

Missouri Bullet - Pistol Bullets - .45 ACP

Powder Valley

This is not true. A lee mold is $19 a Lee bottom pour pot is $55ish. I shoot the 230 truncated cone and the 230 RN both from the lee molds. You should harden your lead. There is a ton of info and help out there. Casting is very economical and lots of fun. Start collecting lead !! Ken