Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Best light for no-rail 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/best-light-no-rail-1911-a-74944/)

Gloves 10-24-2012 05:47 AM

Best light for no-rail 1911

I have a Kimber Custom II (doesn't include a rail). There is a class
coming up for Home Defense and it focuses on cornering with a light.
What are my options?

Ultimate_sig 10-24-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves
What are my options?

They make a light that replaces the bushing plug i belive its laser max, i know they make lasers but i remember seeing a light from them at a gunshow. If you cant find one you may have to put a rail on it

HOSSFLY 10-24-2012 11:40 AM

If your're paying for a class that requires a light mounted on your weapon i'd ask for a refund & find a class that teaches more of a real HD situation :(
You sure it not just a light in your offhand type thing?

drvsafe 10-24-2012 12:50 PM

You can add a rail to your kimber it requires some drilling but it can be done.

Personally I use my P229r for HD it has a rail on it so for me the problem would be solved. I considered HD when I bought my 1911 but decided that although the .45 has more stopping power I'd rather have 15 rounds to protect my family. I question my accuracy in a stressful situation such as HD and to that the more rounds the better IMO.

canebrake 10-24-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 987893)
If your're paying for a class that requires a light mounted on your weapon i'd ask for a refund & find a class that teaches more of a real HD situation :(
You sure it not just a light in your offhand type thing?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4ad29e31.gif

GNXtreme 10-24-2012 04:28 PM

At a local IDPA match they have a shoot house and often do a low light stage. Lots of people use the offhand light method. I believe it is a little better to have a weapon mounted light, but either will work.

HOSSFLY 10-24-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNXtreme (Post 988072)
At a local IDPA match they have a shoot house and often do a low light stage. Lots of people use the offhand light method. I believe it is a little better to have a weapon mounted light, but either will work.

I'd like for the bad guy to have the mounted lite myself :)

Dillinger 10-24-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloves (Post 987816)
What are my options?

Guys! Some reading comprehension here. :mad:

He didn't say he needed a weapon mounted light, he said he needed a light for HD training in cornering. It's probably the off hand crossed wrist style favored by cops (though I personally hate it, but that is beside the point.)

This used to be a community about trying to help each other, not poo-poo their personal choices. Some patience and gentle hand if you please.

Gloves - I personally have a couple of LED lights from Inova and have been very happy.

I have the predecessor to The Bolt though mine does not have the cool grip on it. Mine has a knurled exterior, but it's quite bright and does not go through batteries as bad as a lot of smaller lights have. It has the push button on the bottom, which is ideal for the type of training I believe you are going for with this class.

I also have the T5, and while it is quite bright, it eats batteries like an Ethiopian kid at his first buffet. :o

I have had mag light and I have even had rock climbing / Spelunking lights that are head mounted that are extremely bright and require almost no battery use, but after the first serious pistol training course I took, I dumped that sh*t immediately. :eek:

Good luck.

DoyleTheDog 10-24-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 988143)
Guys! Some reading comprehension here. :mad:

He didn't say he needed a weapon mounted light, he said he needed a light for HD training in cornering. It's probably the off hand crossed wrist style favored by cops (though I personally hate it, but that is beside the point.)

The title of the thread implies that he wants it on the pistol.

Dillinger 10-24-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 988209)
The title of the thread implies that he wants it on the pistol.

No it doesn't! :confused:

It says "Best light for a no-rail 1911"

No rail AND I want the best light

It doesn't say "No rail, but I need one and the best light".

If he wanted a rail, he would have stated that his pistol doesn't have a rail, but he needs one, so which one is best to put on and how I go about it. :rolleyes: