best double stack .45acp 1911? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

best double stack .45acp 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazvet View Post
I'm down to a XDM 5.25 .45 or a double stack 1911 for my next purchase. I'm looking mostly at the Rock Island's now because I wanna keep it under a grand, I'm kinda unsure of the ATI's(just don't know enough). If money wasn't a thing I would only consider American made 1911(being a Army OIF vet) but I hear almost entirely good about the Rock Island's. As far as "want" factor the Para Black Ops has my vote, if I could find one used at or under a grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Going down the list, my preferences are:
STI
Para-Ordnance
RIA
Interesting thing here is that Armscor (owner of RIA) makes the frames for all 3 of those. The RIA and Para are basically the same gun with minor fit and finish differences. The STI you might be able to say has some more than minor differences depending on the model.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Para black ops p-14

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What are you looking to do with this handgun? I don't possibly see how anyone could offer any opinion on this subject without knowing the intended purpose. Are you planning to shoot IPSC/USPSA, are you looking for a defense weapon, a range toy, what?

I would be quite confident that Jon hasn't handled a single "2011", based on his feedback on the platform.

Honestly, I struggle to see a real purpose for "2011" in .45 acp.

I could not justifiably advocate using it for anything other than maybe home defense. Even then, there is a neverending list of better options.

For competition, the cartridge doesn't make sense in my opinion and in the opinion of the vast majority of competitive shooters.
On the same topic, comparing these two options are apples and oranges.

Let us know what you're trying to do with this one!

I'd certainly say that for the cash, you're not going to get nearly as far with a DS1911 as you will just buying an XDm 5.25 out of the box.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want a high capacity do all(almost all) carry, home defense and fun range gun

Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'll almost always have to make a compromise if you want a do-all. If you're going to open carry, that certainly opens up many more options. If you're going to conceal, barrel length and capacity will likely both have to be compromised, at least to some degree.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest looking at the FNX45 Tactical. Seems to be the best option IMO to satisfy the do-all. 14rnd +1, plenty of barrel, very accurate. I'd say perfect home defense pistol.

All depends on your carry restrictions. XDm is a cheaper alternative. Aren't many others to be honest. The capacity is the limiting factor for most models.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #26

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazvet View Post
I'm down to a XDM 5.25 .45 or a double stack 1911 for my next purchase. I'm looking mostly at the Rock Island's now because I wanna keep it under a grand, I'm kinda unsure of the ATI's(just don't know enough). If money wasn't a thing I would only consider American made 1911(being a Army OIF vet) but I hear almost entirely good about the Rock Island's. As far as "want" factor the Para Black Ops has my vote, if I could find one used at or under a grand.
Have you considered any other non-1911s in .45 besides the XDm? Just spit-balling here, but there are a couple interesting double stack .45 options out there for under 1K that you might wish to have a quick look at.
1. CZ-97 series. MSRP at around $800, falls in your wheelhouse.
2. The EAA/Tangfoglio Witness series. I have a Witness Elite Match and it's been excellent. MSRP will vary depending on model. Most models should fall well under the $1k threshold.

If not your cup-o-tea, that's fine. Just throwing them out there for consideration.

Interesting side note: Tanfoglio now appears to be making 1911s, though no doublestacks.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I have a Para Ordnance 14/45 nice handgun no problems.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #28

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Go with the XD. I used to have a BUL M5, made in Israel, Very nice, Stay away from ATI-FATBOY. Big POS! Kimber made the BP ten also=problems.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #29

Liked 29 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Opinions are like a lot of other things! To say the Fatboy is a POS is totally wrong! Do you own one? I do! I have had mine for about three months now and have just shy of 3K rounds through it! Not one time has it had a misfire, FTF or FTE. I have the Para14 and I do like it but it is not even in the same price range. I have owned 1911's in 45ACP for the last 50 years plus and I reload for them. The one thing I have done to make sure they are reliable is to tear them down prior to shooting them and clean every inch of them with Froglube! Don't care whether you like it or not! It works great for me and it is my "Go To" for all my guns now, rifles included. The Fatboy has performed amazingly for me, holds the extra capacity and has the reliability of the ATI name I have owned and trusted as my carry for the last several years. Go spend another $400 to $500 and try to come up with something that is as reliable and has the extended capacity if that is what you want. As for me, I will continue to use my Fatboy, spend the extra dollars on ammo and Froglube and be just as happy as I could ever be with any other brand! BTW, if you do not own one, I don't want to hear your opinion of ATI because you just frankly do not know what you are talking about! JMHO!! I put my Kimber Ultra Covert II in the gun safe and started carrying the Fatboy as my daily concealed carry!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #30

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On the side note I Froglube all my weapons, I heat up all the metal parts in the oven (200 degrees or so) then apply the paste w swabs. I'm looking at a few options but I always find myself coming back to the XDm