Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best ammo for a Para Ord Expert GI 1911 .45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best ammo for a Para Ord Expert GI 1911 .45?

Greetings from a noob,

Bought my first handgun for home protection recently - the model stated in the thread title - and my first firings on the range have gone well with one exception: the weapon will hang with the next round about halfway loaded into the chamber. Upon clearing, it will fire a few rounds before hanging again. It seemed to have come from the factory dirty so it performed much better the second go-round after a thorough cleaning but still hung a few times while putting 100 rounds through. Both times, I was shooting PMC Bronze 45 ACP cartridges.

I picked up some Winchester ammo today and hope that will improve its performance on this point. Otherwise, I've been thrilled with the weapon.

Any recommendations on the best ammo to use for this platform/model?

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if my terminology is off here and there. I'm a noob to gun ownership and use as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

You DID say first handgun- so will mention a couple of things that are not ammo.

First, pistols need some lube. Not a lot, but it IS a machine. Clean and light lube.

Second, these are recoil operated pistols, They rely on recoiling against a fairly fixed point, If you "limp wrist" a 45, you allow the frame to move instead of the slide, and you will have problems.

Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Hydra-Shock, or Winchester SXT are all good SD rounds.

I have one 45 that is an embarrasment- More than handloads, more than military match, it loves the CHEAP aluminum cased non-reloadable Blazer.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Get to about 500 rounds. (Break in for some 1911 mfgrs) if the problem still persists, get some Wilson combat magazines or chip McCormick power mags. That could fix the problem. Your ammo should be good as long as its 230 gn fmj's. That's what 1911's were made to shoot. But get to 500 rnds and let us know.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. I've got the same gun doing the same thing. Only ours did great the first time out, not so great the 2nd. Thought about the "limp wrist" deal, but unless it's just more picky than my XD I don't see that as the prob. But maybe. I'm only up to about 350 rounds so far.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
You DID say first handgun- so will mention a couple of things that are not ammo.

First, pistols need some lube. Not a lot, but it IS a machine. Clean and light lube.

Second, these are recoil operated pistols, They rely on recoiling against a fairly fixed point, If you "limp wrist" a 45, you allow the frame to move instead of the slide, and you will have problems.

Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Hydra-Shock, or Winchester SXT are all good SD rounds.

I have one 45 that is an embarrasment- More than handloads, more than military match, it loves the CHEAP aluminum cased non-reloadable Blazer.
Thanks, c3. I did a clean-n-lube between first and second trips to the range and that helped not only the hang problem but the slide, as well.

I've tried to pay attention to grip strength and find the balance between over-gripping and having relaxed control. I felt like I was over-gripping the thing in the beginning. But perhaps, with this caliber, my definition of over-gripping is just a strength deficit in my grip while I'm growing accustomed. Given the recoil dependency for reload, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the ammo recs. I'll see how these Winchester rounds perform and retain that list for future reference.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
Get to about 500 rounds. (Break in for some 1911 mfgrs) if the problem still persists, get some Wilson combat magazines or chip McCormick power mags. That could fix the problem. Your ammo should be good as long as its 230 gn fmj's. That's what 1911's were made to shoot. But get to 500 rnds and let us know.
I hadn't considered grain as a factor but that makes sense. I'm at 200 rounds now so back to the range for me! (Thanks for the brand recs.)

Last edited by kerfwango; 02-13-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins59
It'll be interesting to see where this goes. I've got the same gun doing the same thing. Only ours did great the first time out, not so great the 2nd. Thought about the "limp wrist" deal, but unless it's just more picky than my XD I don't see that as the prob. But maybe. I'm only up to about 350 rounds so far.
That is interesting. I'll continue to post my experiences in this thread as long as they're relevant. Will be interesting to see how you fare with yours, if you care to do the same.

Just curious - have you cleaned yours yet? Did you happen to notice its condition from the factory? Mine acted like a whole different weapon after the first cleaning and a lot of carbon came out of it when I first used a bore brush.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #8

I didn't clean it before the first time out. Owners manual lead me to believe not to. I did lube it though. Cause other than a little grease around the top of the barrel. It was dry as a bone.
My slide also fails to lock back on the last shot sometimes. It locks half back. Gotta pull it the rest of the way to drop the mag.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I have two Kimbers...same problems with one of them until I got past the 500 round mark. It wasn't like a "magical" thing that once #500 was fired all problems disappeared, but rather a steady improvement with the increased round count.

Be sure your grip is proper, and don't worry til after 500 or so.

Some people think the break in period is bs, but I assure you it is not.

Good luck.

Last edited by Chandler51; 02-16-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

2nd the Wilson Combat mags. They feed my 1911 better than my stock mag.

And congrats on the new 1911.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.