Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Which Is Best?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/best-44915/)

Ambrola 07-08-2011 07:08 PM

Which Is Best??

I was looking at some 1911's today at the pawn shop when I picked up my ATI 22LR. They had 3 diiferent makes. Which is best in order?

1.Springfield Armory
2.Sig Seur
3.Kimber

The Sig they have is a very nice looking gun, front strap checkering and also a compact. I don't know anything about these guns as I have always bought Colt.

Sniper03 07-08-2011 07:15 PM

Ambrola,

Flip a coin on the Springfield and Kimber!!! Depends on what model it is and of course the "PRICE" , your budget and which you feels best and has options you want! Not sure on the SIG yet! Haven't been out that long. But Sig builds good pistols.
:)

Ambrola 07-08-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 537164)
Ambrola,

Flip a coin on the Springfield and Kimber!!! Depends on what model it is and of course the "PRICE" , your budget and which you feels best and has options you want! Not sure on the SIG yet! Haven't been out that long. But Sig builds good pistols.
:)

Price does not matter because I will be doing some trading.

canebrake 07-08-2011 07:25 PM

The Sig is not a true 1911 pattern pistol. Many parts are not interchangeable with most 1911s. Good gun, just may require gunsmith service.

As far as the Springer or Kimber, depends what model.

Firearms4ever 07-08-2011 07:29 PM

If you're looking for a more GI configuration then Springfield's the right choice, but if you're looking for a more customized firearm then Kimber's the right choice. I carry a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and love it.

eborden1122 07-09-2011 02:48 PM

IMO. Sig Sauer or Kimber, depends on what kind.

HOSSFLY 07-09-2011 04:07 PM

Chevy
Dodge
Ford
:D:D:D

Seriously if cash is not a factor i'd pick the Kimber :cool:
Springer last but sure not a bad choice!!

Capt18 07-12-2011 07:29 AM

Ambrola ( 1911 question )

I own a Smith & Wesson PD 1911, Sig "Raptor" 1911, and a Springfield TRP 1911. They all shot well out of the box, there was no "breaking in period" with none of them. Without knowing if you will be using the weapon for home protection, work or just to shoot at the range once in a while, I can only tell you one thing about 1911's that is true no matter what the situation is. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!
After 23 plus years in law enforcement and 10 years of shooting IDPA and combat courses with my agency's pistol team, I learned that lesson the hard way. Of the three I mentioned above, the TRP is in a class of it's own. The S&W is a VERY!! good gun for the price. I have just recently purchaed the SIG so I am unable to give you alot of feed back on that one yet.
I can tell you that recently four of my co-workers purchased the Taurus 1911. Everyone of them had problems with that weapon. I'm not trying to trash Taurus but I witnessed this and know it to be FACT. The pistol system has been around for over 100 years for a reason. I would venture to say that just about every gun manufaturer has made one. Which brings me back to my first point of you get what you pay for.
If your budget is $900-$1200 you are in good shape and have numerous options. If your budget is higher than that I would suggest a Wilson Combat. Unfortunatley a cops salary does not allow me to own one of those but I have shot many of them.
I hope this information helps you. By the way, Ruger has recently released a 1911 that I hear good things about.

Werminator 07-12-2011 04:04 PM

The Ruger SR1911 is the weapon of which he speaks. I haven't handled or shot one yet but they are certainly nice to look at... Gathering good reviews too...

AznZOhAn 07-12-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt18
I own a Smith & Wesson PD 1911, Sig "Raptor" 1911, and a Springfield TRP 1911. They all shot well out of the box, there was no "breaking in period" with none of them. Without knowing if you will be using the weapon for home protection, work or just to shoot at the range once in a while, I can only tell you one thing about 1911's that is true no matter what the situation is. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!
After 23 plus years in law enforcement and 10 years of shooting IDPA and combat courses with my agency's pistol team, I learned that lesson the hard way. Of the three I mentioned above, the TRP is in a class of it's own. The S&W is a VERY!! good gun for the price. I have just recently purchaed the SIG so I am unable to give you alot of feed back on that one yet.
I can tell you that recently four of my co-workers purchased the Taurus 1911. Everyone of them had problems with that weapon. I'm not trying to trash Taurus but I witnessed this and know it to be FACT. The pistol system has been around for over 100 years for a reason. I would venture to say that just about every gun manufaturer has made one. Which brings me back to my first point of you get what you pay for.
If your budget is $900-$1200 you are in good shape and have numerous options. If your budget is higher than that I would suggest a Wilson Combat. Unfortunatley a cops salary does not allow me to own one of those but I have shot many of them.
I hope this information helps you. By the way, Ruger has recently released a 1911 that I hear good things about.

I agree with you, but my experiences with Rugers are they're good new but degrade fast. I own 2 Springfield Armory, and I like them very much. I have loaded 1911 a1 and a mc operator, both shoot great groups.
I haven't shot a sig 1911 yet, but if they are as good as 220 carry I have then they should be an awesome weapons.
On another note, kimber is one that has disappointed me. I bought a pro carry 2, and it jammed over 120 rounds out of the 600 I used to break it in, the accuracy was just ok, it's price was more than what it was worth, so I traded it for my sig 220 carry with rails and night sights and now I am happy. The sig hasn't jammed, shoots a tight group, and was about $200 less the kimber.