Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911 for the Money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I've said the very same thing hundreds of times before. Only those that don't own them bad mouth the MIM parts quality.
You know your stuff in regard to 1911's, Matt.

The first 1911 I ever owned was a Colt, and I've always been fond of them.

I was originally a bit skeptical about Kimber, but they've made a true believer out of me over the years.

IMHO, they are without a doubt the best production 1911 available, and their being number one in sales over the last several years is a strong indicator of that.

Colt was once far and away the dominant 1911 maker, and it took a heckuva weapon to make so many people move to another brand. Kimber proved they had more than enough of the right stuff, knocking Colt off the lofty perch they had been on for so many years.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have to define for the money.

If you can afford to spend 8 bills to a grand, hands down it's Kimber. The most features, the best upfront service and the best fit/feel in their price range. I have owned three, and I still own two, so you do the math.

However - For a couple of hundred less, usually, you can get a PT 1911 from Taurus that has several of the same features as a comparably equipped Kimber.

Taurus went through a couple of years ago and completely redid their manufacturing facility. It's all state of the art CNC machine work now, which is why their products have been creeping back into the market place and are out selling other common brands.

For around $719USD ( MSRP - Cash price would be lower ) you can get a fully loaded 5" full sized, all steel hammer forged frame and slide with Hiene Straight 8 sights & you get an unconditional LIFETIME warranty. Not a bad deal.

Compare to Kimber, which I love...

$819 ( MSRP - Master Dealer cash price would be lower ) you get a Custom II walnut grip, steel frame and slide, standard sights - although you do get Kimber's "exclusive" match grade barrel. However Kimber, who has had some quality issues over the past couple of years, only gives their weapons a 1 year warranty.

Now, I love my Kimbers and have never had any problems. I carried a Pro Raptor for over a year and sold it for about what I paid for it, but know what you are buying and what you are getting before you drop that level of coin.

D

Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #23

Default The best one you can afford !!!!!!!

Simple questions require simple answers.

"Sometimes I fell like a nut, sometimes I don't."

Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtGun View Post
What is the best 1911 to get as far as value?
To each his own; However, the best bang for my buck on the low end of the spectrum has been with Colts. The latest of mine has been the Gold Cup Trophy, with the Bomar Rear sight and Colt's Series 70 reissued pistol. I replaced the internal trigger components in the Series 70, fitted it with an Ed Brown high ride grip safety, and a few other items to have more my way. Both these pistols have around $1,000. each invested, maybe a little more because of the parts I installed. I just like the Colt Steel. In the long run; I like the Wilsons for what they are.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 AM   #25

I've watched this thread for some time now but haven't had much to add beyond what's already been said. I suppose though that as with everything in this life, "best for the money" is an unanswerable question since so many variables are involved. For instance, just today after my run ended I went to the local gun shop to buy a new duty holster, but they didn't have the one I wanted in stock (on order now, though); however, while the guy was looking up the holster oder information, I did the usual "look over the great stuff under the glass without getting too excited because there's no room in the budget for another gun right now" routine and did a double-take. There was what appeared to be a new, unfired Auto Ordnance exactly matching the one Gunnutz13 shows in his post but it was listed as "used" and had a price tag of $299. I asked the guy about it, he said that they just took it in on trade, apparently the man that bought it turned around and traded it in almost immediately and as far as anyone could tell, it had never been fired. Box, manual, everything was there. All of this had happened within the past week. I asked to see it, etc. etc. etc.... Well, I bought it (still have to wait until I get it on my pistol permit, probably not until Tuesday!), and for me, the answer to your question but probably not the answer you want --- the best 1911 for the money was the one I bought today. New but previously owned, unfired, perfect condition but without the new price tag. Talk about timing, I know; and, given the unique situation, as I said it probably doesn't help your search in the least. But maybe it'll give you cause to look more closely and more often. Deals are out there. But we just can't know when those things will come along. I'm just excited and pleased as punch about this find and figured I'd share some sort of hope, and not the false kind. Anyhow, best of luck to you!

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #26

Sorry, I'm kinda partial to Taurus.......I love my Taurus PT1911 .. For the price - I don't think you can beat it.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #27

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Default 1911a1

I have a Rock Island 1911A1, I only paid $300.00 for mine. I know it's probably a little cheaper than what some of you guys might pay (no offense) but it works for me and i like it. Good solid gun, never jammed, good heavy pistol so the recoil isn't that bad.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #28

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've had a Rock Island Compact and a basic Springer GI - both great shooters. Through some good trades I now have a pair of Springer Loadeds and these are really sweet shooters with all the features I want.

If buying new, I'd probably go with the Taurus PT1911 as it has most of the stuff folks want from the factory at a reasonable price. Here's one of the Springers:

Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #29

rock river arms .45 acp is extremely hard to beat for the price built like a brick house and extremely well made and pretty dang accurate right out of the box

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #30

I recently bought a Wilson Combat Classic. Yep, spent a few extra bucks but wouldn"t trade it for any other 1911 I've ever tried (I have owned Colts and Kimbers for quite a while). If you can swing it (and are willing to wait a while) you can't beat the gun and the customer service is even better.