Best 1911 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK so given all the back and forth about "opinions" and having to qualify the question as to use, price/budget, etc. the answer to "what is the best 1911?" Is: Mine.:

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #42

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
Well I have boycotted that establishment in San Antonio and encourage all my friends and fellow gun lovers to shop at other places since then. I might give Kimber another try later but I got my eyes set on a SA TRP or TRP Operator, or I might just try a Wilson Combat that I can afford or a custom Colt. I've never dealt with Colt or SA customer service or repair shop cause I never had to. My best friend on the other hand has dealt with Colts on one occasion. He bought a user Colt King Cobra and the timing on the cylinder was off, they fixed it for free, refinished it, and did a trigger job at no charge. He got it back better than when he first bought, and not it's almost as nice as python.

For now I am completely happy with my SA MC Operator, it's my first factory tuned 1911 and it has me in awe. It is a bit on the heavy side, but it is all steel and has a rail so I got what I wanted.

I'm gonna send my loaded a1 to SA gunsmith to do carry bevel and deburr the the action. I wanna start carrying it off duty and I'd like the action to be a little smoother, besides that the gun is fine as is.

What are your thought on bull barrel 1911. The Kimber I had, had one, but that one was a bad memory of problems. I have heard great things about the SA champion and thought about getting a champion operator. It's light weight, bull barrel, and a rail (just like the way the rail looks on it).
I have had great experiences with bull barreled 1911's going all the way back to the 90's with a few models of Detonics including the original ultra-compact Detonics Combat Master.

I foolishly sold that gun and I have regretted it all my life. Some day I will own another one.

The Kimber UltraCarry in the picture below is also a bull barrel gun and it is sickeningly accurate and has been 100% reliable since the day I bought it, including with target semi-wadcutter loads that tend to choke most 1911s. So much so that my wife uses it for IDPA competitions. I love the Springfield Loaded because it has pretty much all the same features that my Kimber Custom and my Wilson Combat CQB (both in the picture below too) have in a very well executed package at a very attractive price. If I didn't have those two guns I would have bought a Loaded a long time ago.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #43

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

I have had great experiences with bull barreled 1911's going all the way back to the 90's with a few models of Detonics including the original ultra-compact Detonics Combat Master.

I foolishly sold that gun and I have regretted it all my life. Some day I will own another one.

The Kimber UltraCarry in the picture below is also a bull barrel gun and it is sickeningly accurate and has been 100% reliable since the day I bought it, including with target semi-wadcutter loads that tend to choke most 1911s. So much so that my wife uses it for IDPA competitions. I love the Springfield Loaded because it has pretty much all the same features that my Kimber Custom and my Wilson Combat CQB (both in the picture below too) have in a very well executed package at a very attractive price. If I didn't have those two guns I would have bought a Loaded a long time ago.
I got my loaded when SA first produced them as loaded, so it didn't come as loaded as they are now. Mine only has one thumb safety, but it did come with air gauged stainless steel match barrel. But I still enjoy shooting it and most of all I like a little friendly competition.

Maybe it's wrong, but now days I have enjoy it when a poser shows up with a high end, custom, or fancy and high tech gun and shoots like a beginner. One day I'll have a custom 1911, but until then I'll just play with what I got. BTW, nice pieces. Very beautiful, I like that Wilson.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #44

Quote:
I got my loaded when SA first produced them as loaded, so it didn't come as loaded as they are now. Mine only has one thumb safety, but it did come with air gauged stainless steel match barrel. But I still enjoy shooting it and most of all I like a little friendly competition.

Maybe it's wrong, but now days I have enjoy it when a poser shows up with a high end, custom, or fancy and high tech gun and shoots like a beginner. One day I'll have a custom 1911, but until then I'll just play with what I got. BTW, nice pieces. Very beautiful, I like that Wilson.

Thanks! What you are feeling is not wrong. I was at the range with a buddy a few years back and he was spraying rounds out of his new Freedom Arms Premier .454 Casull. I casually walked over to him and asked if I could shoot a few rounds out of this stunning gorgeous piece of art handgun. I put three shots one over the other in the black and handed the gun back to him. All I said was "Thanks! I just wanted to make sure your new gun wasn't busted..." and walked away

In any case folks buy guns for many different reasons. I have a few buddies that just love guns and have the disposable income to buy some seriously nice ones. They know they will never be a great shot but they like owning nice things. It's all good they keep the high end gun makers in business.

I remember a few years ago selling a nice horse to a lovely lady and when I mentioned to her that he was a very nice ride she said she never intended to put a saddle on the thing. She just wanted a nice pet to put in her paddock to replace the last horse she owned for 20 years. She just liked watching them walk around her property eating grass. Hey to each his own...

Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #45

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The only things that matter in inherent accuracy of a 1911 or any other semi auto pistol is how good the barrel is and how consistent the barrel locks up to the slide. It doesnt matter how tight the slide is to the frame on a 1911 if the barrel and bushing do not return to the same orientation every cycle its going to shoot like crap.

My ithaca 1911a1 in a machine rest will turn in sub inch groups. It rattles like the ass end of a pissed off snake but the barrel bushing and slide return to the exact dame orientation each time.
Excellant point
I have & love my 40+ year old Essex build (frame & slide - gawgd only knows the other parts used)
But it fires EVERY time & will shoot eyeball sized groups & I strongly feel its because of what JonM just stated

Wud I trade it for a new WC or Ed Brown? HELL YES

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the record:

Quote:
The Springfield Armory, located in the City of Springfield, Massachusetts, was - from 1777 until its closing in 1968 - the primary center for the manufacture of U.S. military firearms. Since its closing during the Vietnam War, the Springfield Armory has been transformed into Western Massachusetts' only National Park, and features one of the world's largest collections of historic firearms
For the record:

Quote:
In 1974, the Springfield Armory name was licensed to Robert Reese, to form Springfield Armory, Inc., a company that manufacture semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle, which, of course, were initially invented in Springfield. The company is not located in or near Springfield, Massachusetts, much to the chagrin of Springfield Armory purists, and has no association with the authentic Springfield Armory. This private company using the "Springfield Armory" name is based out of Geneseo, Illinois.
For the record:

Quote:
M1911 pistols: Project Colt - IMBEL acquired a manufacturing license for the M1911 pistol, and has exported pistols to the United States of America through Springfield Armory, Inc. (sold under the Springfield Armory brand) since 1985. It produces .380 ACP, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W and .45 ACP models. All Springfield Armory, Inc. pistols start on IMBEL's production lines.
Also:

Quote:
SAR 48 - IMBEL produced a semi-automatic version of the FAL for Springfield Armory, Inc. (not to be confused with the US military Springfield Armory), which was marketed in the US as the SAR-48 and SAR-4800, starting in the mid-1980s. IMBEL-made receivers have been much in demand among American gunsmiths building FALs from "parts kits." Early SAR-48s were simply selective-fire M964 FALs which were modified to semi-auto-only by replacing the safety sear with a thick washer soldered in its place.

Be Well.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #47

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Thanks! What you are feeling is not wrong. I was at the range with a buddy a few years back and he was spraying rounds out of his new Freedom Arms Premier .454 Casull. I casually walked over to him and asked if I could shoot a few rounds out of this stunning gorgeous piece of art handgun. I put three shots one over the other in the black and handed the gun back to him. All I said was "Thanks! I just wanted to make sure your new gun wasn't busted..." and walked away

In any case folks buy guns for many different reasons. I have a few buddies that just love guns and have the disposable income to buy some seriously nice ones. They know they will never be a great shot but they like owning nice things. It's all good they keep the high end gun makers in business.

I remember a few years ago selling a nice horse to a lovely lady and when I mentioned to her that he was a very nice ride she said she never intended to put a saddle on the thing. She just wanted a nice pet to put in her paddock to replace the last horse she owned for 20 years. She just liked watching them walk around her property eating grass. Hey to each his own...
What about bushingless bull barrel, the Kimber I had was, but the barrel wasn't the problem with it. I've heard good thing about other Kimbers and SA champion.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm partial, but I think SA is the best bang for your buck!

Here's one priced right:

Springfield Armory 1911 Champion .45 ACP 4" Barrel : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
"Best" is all subjective. A hand-fit fully custom 1911 from a well respected gunsmith would be the best in my opinion. If you want ultimate performance, you don't buy a production car and take it to the race track if you know what I mean.
In the custom/semi-custom, small shop category, I personally think that Les Baer is the best value. Les Baer Custom Inc.

The Springfield Professional is also (IMHO) one of the best 1911's on the market, and is the civilian version of the gun made for the FBI's elite Hostage Rescue Team. It was chosen after an extensive selection process.

There are many other quality gun makers out there, with the price points ranging from $500 to $5000 and up.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 08-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #50

Quote:
What about bushingless bull barrel, the Kimber I had was, but the barrel wasn't the problem with it. I've heard good thing about other Kimbers and SA champion.
As far as I know bull barrel is by default bushingless, at least all the bull barreled guns I've had/seen did not have a bushing.