Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I'm kind of partial to Ed Brown, then comes the Dan Wessons (before CZ).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #22

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The only things that matter in inherent accuracy of a 1911 or any other semi auto pistol is how good the barrel is and how consistent the barrel locks up to the slide. It doesnt matter how tight the slide is to the frame on a 1911 if the barrel and bushing do not return to the same orientation every cycle its going to shoot like crap.

My ithaca 1911a1 in a machine rest will turn in sub inch groups. It rattles like the ass end of a pissed off snake but the barrel bushing and slide return to the exact dame orientation each time.
I have experienced that with several old 1911s. I'm beginning to suspect that the old wives tale of inaccurate 1911 had more to do with user error and the military old ways of training where folks were supposed to master the .45 while shooting bullseye style. A way of shooting that is difficult enough for experienced shooters never mind a bunch of young guys who for the most part had never held a Colt in their hands.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #23

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

"Best" is all subjective. A hand-fit fully custom 1911 from a well respected gunsmith would be the best in my opinion. If you want ultimate performance, you don't buy a production car and take it to the race track if you know what I mean.

But if you consider "best" to be a combination of performance, aesthetics, and price then we have ourselves a good discussion on our hands.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

I recently bought a springfield armory mil-spec. I love it - never had a 1911 before that - I see what all the hubbub is about now. It works great so far - it is far more accurate than I am.

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #25

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I don't know, "what's the best" anything can be a loaded topic.

I've fired Colts in the service, old, worn-in, reliable.

I have a SA 1911A1 that's functioning flawlessly after

it's break-in, I think it's great, but that's subjective.

Who here has tried all 1911s?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #26
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Who here has tried all 1911s?
I'm trying, but there are so many to choose from. And trying one is not a good representation of all.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Wow you are just full of "facts" aren't you. Springfield Armory is company that makes guns that took the name of the original well known historical Springfield Armory that was around a long time ago. Today's SA has nothing to do with the old military rifles...

There is no way you can make any generalizations about the accuracy of a Kimber vs. a SA or a Colt. They are all fine guns and I would love to see some FACTUAL proof that as a "brand" one is better than another.

Last but not least, the pricier guns are pricier for a reason, Premium guns like Wilson Combat, Les Baer and others come with test targets and accuracy warranties because they are put together by hand (therefore the higher price tag) and they are tuned and tested to assure the function and accuracy of EVERY gun that leaves their premises. This has NOTHING to do with "looks".

A LITTLE knowledge is a truly dangerous thing...
Just stating my preference and my experiences.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

And never did I claim to have a lot of knowledge, I am learning new stuff everyday. I joined the forum so that I may obtain knowledge and share my experiences. I am here to learn about my favorite hobby. I enjoy shooting.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #29

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
And never did I claim to have a lot of knowledge, I am learning new stuff everyday. I joined the forum so that I may obtain knowledge and share my experiences. I am here to learn about my favorite hobby. I enjoy shooting.
Ok I understand that but armed with your very limited knowledge you went ahead and put in three posts on this thread full of "information" "facts" and opinions. You are certainly entitled to your opinions. But stating information and facts in an open forum opens them to scrutiny and debate so I would just try to do my homework before throwing information out there.

Please don't take me wrong. I'm not trying to beat you up but I also do not like when a person asks a question and gets a lot of bad info in return. Please continue your quest for knowledge on this subject. I like your enthusiasm, you just need to temper it with some research and experience.
Take care!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #30

I have a question regarding the "best" 1911. Certainly, there are probably 1911s out there that are not good maybe prone to jams etc... However, I find that most if not all of my firearms are able to outshoot me (meaning they are more accurate than I am able to aim). Certainly, a 1911 that is constructed properly to return the barrel to the same spot everytime, and doesn't jam, would be considered the best? If so, there are MANY 1911s that are the "best" yes?

Or maybe I am missing something? Like skill? lol

If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.