Best 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
No recommendations, just my preference. I have 2 SAs and like them both. Never shot a STI, but friends recommend them a lot to me.
Both of my SAs are older as well. I'm not that impressed with Brazil. May as well be a Taurus.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Liked 1169 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
Both of my SAs are older as well. I'm not that impressed with Brazil. May as well be a Taurus.
My Taurus 1911 has yet to FTF.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
The imbrel factory uses actual colt machinery from ww2. The steel they use is better than what us made recievers have. Workmanship of springfield recievers is superb. There is a huge world of difference between tarus and sa.

The machines imbrel uses are the same as what colt uses which is why they are drop in interchangeable with colt.

The older springfield armory all come from brazil. Springfield has never made recievers in the US. The new sa guns are the same as the older ones.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

my tarus does well, have yet to have any issues with it, and it has had a few thousand rounds down it, and it is still stock except for grips. But I do know what you mean, buying American is the way to go. I have a colt series 80 and it rocks!! The only reason I have the tarus is because it was used and cheap ( its my beater 1911 ). But when it comes to 1911's American is the only way to go. There are alot out there though, you have your colt's and kimber's I think para made the move from canada to the USA so you can also look there. Then of course you have your rolls royce 1911's like night hawk and les bear.

My advise find the one you want and get that one, even if it means you have to save for a while, that way you wont be disapointed in a few months.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

So, getting back to the OP's question,
The best at what?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc

It doesn't matter where it's made, it's about quality and workmanship of the weapon. I was made in Korea and I am 100% American by birth and choice, and out of 1,500 deputies in my agency I am one of the best shots. I have a SA loaded A1 made the first year they made them and it is a tighter slide and frame fit than any other 1911 I've owned, shot, or picked up: Kimber, Colt(don't hate me), Taurus, rockriver, or Wilson Combat. Both my loaded A1 and MC Operator shoot on par or better than high end 1911. SA makes one of the finest 1911s in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
It doesn't matter where it's made, it's about quality and workmanship of the weapon. I was made in Korea and I am 100% American by birth and choice, and out of 1,500 deputies in my agency I am one of the best shots. I have a SA loaded A1 made the first year they made them and it is a tighter slide and frame fit than any other 1911 I've owned, shot, or picked up: Kimber, Colt(don't hate me), Taurus, rockriver, or Wilson Combat. Both my loaded A1 and MC Operator shoot on par or better than high end 1911. SA makes one of the finest 1911s in my opinion.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..l. Have you ever even held a Wilson Combat in your hands. Don't bother answering, I KNOW it's a NO...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Colts are the best, cause my Colt have never had not one issue, and they are all stock except grips. It feels good when you're at the range with a basic Colt gov cleaning the middle of the target, and you see the guy next to you unjamming his kimber. It really bad when the guy with the kimber asks to barrow your Glock so he can shoot too.
Funny the first Colt I ever bought I had to dump because I got sick of trying to make it work reliably. Since then I've bought a few Kimbers and they have never given me any problems.

I have nothing against Colts and they make great handguns but trying to make generalizations about a gun based on one example (Colt OR Kimber) is ridiculous at best.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
I think it's more about manufacturer's quality. I like Colts, but my personal favorite is Springfield Armory. The pricey guns I've seen is more about the look and not so much on the shot. You'll pay more for a kimber, but a Colt or Springfield Armory would shoot on par or emphases on better with reliability and dependability. Colt and Springfield Armory have been around for over 100 years for a reason and they are reasonable on price.
Wow you are just full of "facts" aren't you. Springfield Armory is company that makes guns that took the name of the original well known historical Springfield Armory that was around a long time ago. Today's SA has nothing to do with the old military rifles...

There is no way you can make any generalizations about the accuracy of a Kimber vs. a SA or a Colt. They are all fine guns and I would love to see some FACTUAL proof that as a "brand" one is better than another.

Last but not least, the pricier guns are pricier for a reason, Premium guns like Wilson Combat, Les Baer and others come with test targets and accuracy warranties because they are put together by hand (therefore the higher price tag) and they are tuned and tested to assure the function and accuracy of EVERY gun that leaves their premises. This has NOTHING to do with "looks".

A LITTLE knowledge is a truly dangerous thing...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

The only things that matter in inherent accuracy of a 1911 or any other semi auto pistol is how good the barrel is and how consistent the barrel locks up to the slide. It doesnt matter how tight the slide is to the frame on a 1911 if the barrel and bushing do not return to the same orientation every cycle its going to shoot like crap.

My ithaca 1911a1 in a machine rest will turn in sub inch groups. It rattles like the ass end of a pissed off snake but the barrel bushing and slide return to the exact dame orientation each time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...