Best 1911 for $800-$1000 - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911 for $800-$1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasShooter View Post
That is not correct. Colt purchased the rights to manufacture the design by Browning. Browning owned his own design firm and sold licenses for different firearms to Winchester, Colt, FN, Remington, and others during his career. Browning's early fame was developed through Winchester when they bought the rights and developed a number of firearms he had patented. He broke with Winchester when Browning stipulated that he wanted a per-unit license fee for the Auto 5 shotgun as opposed to a single up-front fee as had been paid in the past. Winchester refused and the license was eventually sold by Browning to FN.

From Wikipedia: "Throughout his life, Browning designed a vast array of military and civilian small arms for his own company, as well as for Winchester, Colt, Remington, Savage, and Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium."
Also according to Wiki and various published references, Browning was working for Colt and using Colt resources under the direction of Colt management at the time he designed the .45 ACP cartridge, as well as the 1911 pistol--even though the patent for that gun was filed by Browning. So he didn't design it in his horse and buggy garage and then go around to firearms companies looking for a buyer. The Army asked Colt for something bigger than the .38 special and Colt asked Browning to work on that project. Whether he was an employee or subcontractor, it was still a Colt project. The details are irrelevant. If he had designed it for Remington, then it would have been a Remington 1911, and that would be my preference in a 1911, but he didn't. He designed it for Colt.

I've been cautioned that the 1911 is a disease. Once you have one, you'll want another and another. Maybe, but I'm really more interested in experiencing and comparing different designs. If Beretta made a handgun in their 9n series (92FS, 96, 98) chambered for .45ACP, I'd buy it day after tomorrow. As it is, I am intrigued by the Hi-Point .45 caliber carbines, as a kind of poor man's AR for the range. At $330 or $349 with a 4x scope, it is really tempting. Further, in looking up experience with Hi-Point from actual owners, not urban legend repeaters, I find Hi-Point to be a reputable manufacturer (U.S.) of reliable guns. Anyone else here own one?

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #82
khb

Default An Option to Look At:

Just recently made my entrance to the 1911 world and wanted to do it at a low cost to see likes/dislikes of the gun style in general. Looked at the Springfield Loaded, Sig Sauer, Kimber Target, Remington, Colt and probably a few more that I don't quite remember. After looking around at price/quality/features, I purchased a Sig Sauer. I purchased the TACPAC version since it had all the bells and whistles to get going with. Also, the price was extemely competitive. The Sig, I felt, has an excellent grip with checkering on both the front and rear straps. On the Springfield only the rear strap was checkered with the front being smooth. What I find is that when you pull the trigger, the pressure will cause the grip to roll to the right (righthanded). With the front checkering, this is greatly reduced. Also, if it is damp out or it is humid, the full checkering just gives you a more positive hold on the gun. In order to get the checkering on the Spring. Loaded, it would have cost around $300 to have SA do the work and then it would have been just better $$ sense to go with the next level SA 1911.
Anyway, after shooting 150 rounds through the Sig, no FTE's or FTF's with Rem FMJ round nosed 230gr rounds (Sig Cust. Srv. recommends shooting at least 250 rds through the gun during the break in period). The balance of the gun, I found to be excellent with hardly any recoil to speak of. I realize I have to put a few more rounds through the gun to really assess the longevity of it, but so far I am happy with my choice. As far as Customer Service, I have found Sig's to be excellent to work with. The TACPAC railed version comes with a rail mount laser. I had some problems with it and it was replaced with no problems at all. I also bought a 3rd magazine thru Sig and at $26, why go to a shop. At this point, the only other add on that I am contemplating are Night Sights. The TACPAC comes with regular 3 dot Novak style sights, that work fine. The Night Sights would just finish off the gun nicely for full spectrum use.
In total, I would highly recommend a close look at the Sig Sauer TACPAC for a competitively priced option to enter the 1911 world with or even add to an existing collection. So far, I am pleased with my selection.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #83

+1 for Sig. I have a c3 that is reliable and scary accurate. If you have a problem with external extractors then it's not for you.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #84

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Norinco 1911A1

I was fortunate enough to get one of the Chinese Norinco pistols imported in the 90s. Got it new with my federal refund on the day Brady took effect. Less than $400, never misfires. But Clinton banned furthur import. Lightly used ones should be available.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #85

Get a Colt Commander

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #86

I have a few 1911's. Dan Wesson CCO (Dam fine gun). Springfield TRP another fine gun and also a Springfield EMP another fine gun. I do want to get a Colt to add to my growing collection. If the price of a gun you are looking is close to another and you need something to push you over the edge SA customer service is over the top good compared to others out there. That is a major thing for me. All of the above are over 1K so that is over the OP's budget but the new SA Range officer certainly looks like a nice gun for the money. Once you get one you can't help but buy more. Watch out!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #87

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Colt, Kimber, Smith Wesson, Springfield, SIG, all awesome guns. I'm not sure you can honestly say one is better than the other.

May God make smooth the path you follow!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #88

Likes Given: 1

My next .45 will be a Colt. Why? I made my money in the U.S. and when I make a purchase I like to know that my money will stay in the U.S. so the next guy has a chance at making a buck in this country instead of all or a portion of those dollars being shipped somewhere overseas.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #89

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I've had a kimber custom tactical II for a few years now, spent about 800 bucks on it and it is hands down the best 1911 i've shot.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #90

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt501
My next .45 will be a Colt. Why? I made my money in the U.S. and when I make a purchase I like to know that my money will stay in the U.S. so the next guy has a chance at making a buck in this country instead of all or a portion of those dollars being shipped somewhere overseas.
Colt isn't the only US manufacturer of 1911's however.