Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911 for $800-$1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 302 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
might want to jump on that one, i would! most i have seen are $875 plus. i would get one at $600 really quick. just a nice looking 1911 45.
MSRP according to the Remington site is $719. The R1 Enhanced model is $940. I know one of the dealer had it for $630 and another I think was right in that range also.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19783 Times on 11233 Posts
Likes Given: 49847

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
MSRP according to the Remington site is $719. The R1 Enhanced model is $940. I know one of the dealer had it for $630 and another I think was right in that range also.
if they are asking that for the R1 Enhanced, super great price, if for the regular R1, price is okay, not great, but not bad either.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb
Flamers, please go take a break. This is about history, tradition, and illogical handgun purchases. I do not work for Colt or any other firearm company. I was in the U.S. Army in Vietnam. That puts me in the demographics of baby boomers and veterans, both of whom tend to be a little more nostalgic and appreciative of history than other groups.

I can't argue with the value factor with SA. That's just like many products that are manufactured in areas of the world with cheap labor. I also agree that you're paying a premium for the Colt name and for "made in USA". So what? When you buy a 1911, what is there but a name?

Colt is the original 1911. Colt is Made in USA. Colt firearms was founded in 1836. This is the 100th anniversary of the Colt 1911. All the Colt guns made this year have the "100 Years of Service" rollmark.

Springfield Armory, INC. was formed in 1974 and is an importer of firearms. I've been unable to find a single handgun in their catalog that is made in the US. The XD/XDM line comes from Croatia. The 1911's are made in Brazil. Some clever people claim that the SA 1911's are made on the same assembly line as Taurus. I doubt that.

No one "needs" a 1911. I have both a Springfield Armory XDm-45 and a Colt 01980XSE. The former cost me $569, and with 14 rounds of 45ACP is my concealed carry gun. The latter is for showing the guys and as a range toy. I bought it for $950 to find out what the buzz was really about with 1911's, and because it is a piece of history. It's tradition. For that, how could I consider other than a Colt? How could anyone consider other than a Colt, especially this year?

Real prices. I could have had a Colt 01991, which is just about the closest you can come to an original Colt 1911 these days, for $760 ($800 less 5% for cash). I had already bought the 01980XSE, though, when the dealer finally called me back. Otherwise that would have been my first choice.

Buying a SA or Taurus or Sig or Rock Island? That's a little like wanting a Corvette and buying a Porsche. Yeah, they're both great sports cars, but only one is the original American sports car. OK, the Taurus is not a Porsche, and the Rock Island would be more a Kia. But you get my point.

The SA Range Officer is a fine gun, and Springfield Armory has excellent customer service. My XDM-45 is a premier striker-fired gun (although the Glock people will argue that point.) The Range Officer, though, just like all SA's 1911's, is still a copy of a Colt.

In terms of practicality or concealed carry, no 1911 compares to a good modern polymer frame, striker fired, pistol like a Glock or Springfield Armory XD/XDM. Weight, concealabilty, ammo capacity, easy of field stripping, and cost. If you argue logic, there is no reason to buy a 1911. If you just "want one", as I did, why not get the original?
While I understand your logic about Colt being the original manufacturer of the 1911, I look at it from a different perspective as I celebrate 100 years of the DESIGN by Browning. Colt didn't design the the 1911, they only manufacturered it. It took only a few years before Springfield Armory (the original) began manufacturing the 1911. During World War II far more 1911s were produced by "clone" manufacturers than were produced by Colt. The Colt of 1911 is not the same Colt of 2011. Through mergers and an acquisition through private investors, the similarity between the company of 1911 and 2011 is only in the name.

However what is most important is your desire to get the kind of pistol you want and nobody should fault you for that.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #74

dallasshooter, in a time of war, such as wwII, the clones were mad out of necessity to produce them for the war effort. had there not been a war, wouldn't have been clones. but those clones now command premium prices for collectors and buyers. Remington-Rand, Singer Sewing Machine, IBM, and many others made 1911's for the war. they were also made identical in every way except for the name and serial number, so parts would interchange. the reason the 1911 is copied and cloned now, is the 1911 is one of the most iconic handguns ever made, just like the Colt SAA Peacemaker, form follows function.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
dallasshooter, in a time of war, such as wwII, the clones were mad out of necessity to produce them for the war effort. had there not been a war, wouldn't have been clones. but those clones now command premium prices for collectors and buyers. Remington-Rand, Singer Sewing Machine, IBM, and many others made 1911's for the war. they were also made identical in every way except for the name and serial number, so parts would interchange. the reason the 1911 is copied and cloned now, is the 1911 is one of the most iconic handguns ever made, just like the Colt SAA Peacemaker, form follows function.
Absolutely correct. It is Mr. Browning's design - the form - of the 1911 that most impresses me, not the Colt roll mark, although I do understand that on the 100th birthday of the 1911 the colt name can add an extra touch. ;-)

Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasShooter View Post
Absolutely correct. It is Mr. Browning's design - the form - of the 1911 that most impresses me, not the Colt roll mark, although I do understand that on the 100th birthday of the 1911 the colt name can add an extra touch. ;-)
plus maybe a few dollars too!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #77

If you have to have a 1911 you should also consider a s&w. If you ever have to use it for protection you can say, we are not going to let you get away with that. When bad guy says who's we. You have to reply with: There's me, smith, and wesson. You just cant do that with any other firearm. lol. Plus s&w makes a great gun for the price. Enjoy.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #78

This is one of my faves.

forumrunner_20111127_220830.jpg

forumrunner_20111127_220931.jpg

forumrunner_20111127_221054.jpg

Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #79

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasShooter View Post
While I understand your logic about Colt being the original manufacturer of the 1911, I look at it from a different perspective as I celebrate 100 years of the DESIGN by Browning. Colt didn't design the the 1911, they only manufacturered it. It took only a few years before Springfield Armory (the original) began manufacturing the 1911. During World War II far more 1911s were produced by "clone" manufacturers than were produced by Colt. The Colt of 1911 is not the same Colt of 2011. Through mergers and an acquisition through private investors, the similarity between the company of 1911 and 2011 is only in the name.

However what is most important is your desire to get the kind of pistol you want and nobody should fault you for that.
I was under the impression that John Browning was a Colt employee at the time he designed the pistol for Colt. If so, Colt gets the credit just as Bell Labs gets credit for the transistor. Without the resources of a company, it is difficult to get a new design--of anything--built, tested and ready for production.

Mergers, acquisitions, breakups...the company is still the company and manufacturing guns in the U.S. Springfield Armory is just a name with -0- connection otherwise to the original government arsenal that was closed in 1968--the year my enlistment in the U.S. Army ended (no connection!)

Smith & Wesson, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Kimber, Remington, Ruger--all, as far as I can tell, are U.S. manufacturers, as are a bunch of others I see advertised in Handguns and Guns & Ammo. You could argue then that any of those brands (and I know I've left out some others made in USA), are as legitimate a 1911 as a Colt. You can also extend that argument to any gun built anywhere using the 1911 design. The thing you can't do is to convince me that the Colt was not the right choice for me. I thought through the idea before I bought the Colt, and I've thought through it after reading comments here. No matter what, I would not feel like I had bought the real thing, honoring the original manufacturer, if I had bought anything but a Colt.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #80

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb
I was under the impression that John Browning was a Colt employee at the time he designed the pistol for Colt. If so, Colt gets the credit just as Bell Labs gets credit for the transistor. Without the resources of a company, it is difficult to get a new design--of anything--built, tested and ready for production..

That is not correct. Colt purchased the rights to manufacture the design by Browning. Browning owned his own design firm and sold licenses for different firearms to Winchester, Colt, FN, Remington, and others during his career. Browning's early fame was developed through Winchester when they bought the rights and developed a number of firearms he had patented. He broke with Winchester when Browning stipulated that he wanted a per-unit license fee for the Auto 5 shotgun as opposed to a single up-front fee as had been paid in the past. Winchester refused and the license was eventually sold by Browning to FN.

From Wikipedia: "Throughout his life, Browning designed a vast array of military and civilian small arms for his own company, as well as for Winchester, Colt, Remington, Savage, and Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium."