Best 1911 for $800-$1000 - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Best 1911 for $800-$1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

with all the ideas flying around, you should be able to find a very nice pistol in the price range you would be happy with. there are a great number of good pistols out there for the choosing, and you will need to start hitting the gunstores and looking at different ones until you find what pleases you. we can make suggestions and they are just that, suggestions. we are suggesting what we have either owned or shot, but the final decision will be yours as you are the one spending the money. go look at many, try them out, narrow it down to a few, then come back and tell us which ones made the cut and get some input as to what might work better for you.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
I'm sure im late to this but.... If I had 1000 bucks right now to spend on a 1911, i would buy a Kimber.
Kimbers are nice toill you buy one then have a problem, REALLY bad customer service, look online at the posts and mine is firsthand. The quality of an STI versus a Kimber is not close, slide feels like it is on ball bearing and reliability, go with an STI. Check out the reviews of STI Trojan versus Kimber, no comparison.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #43

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
with all the ideas flying around, you should be able to find a very nice pistol in the price range you would be happy with. there are a great number of good pistols out there for the choosing, and you will need to start hitting the gunstores and looking at different ones until you find what pleases you. we can make suggestions and they are just that, suggestions. we are suggesting what we have either owned or shot, but the final decision will be yours as you are the one spending the money. go look at many, try them out, narrow it down to a few, then come back and tell us which ones made the cut and get some input as to what might work better for you.
Very nicely put..

Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Very nicely put..
thanks MrWray, i was new to guns once! i think guns can be very personal and what one person likes, another doesn't. best way to buy is to do as much research as possible, get as much feedback from actual owners, then make a leap of faith and hope it's the gun you wanted. i have in the past bought guns that i didn't like after owning them, (Remington M770, Mossberg ATR100, ect. ect.) and took a loss just to get rid of them. but i look at it as a useful and fun learning curve, because finding what i don't like helps me find what i do like.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #45

Don't forget Dan Wesson. IMHO the Dan Wesson out performs many others in quality (forged parts, hand fitted, etc.), and value. I'm not thrilled with new Colts or Springfields as comparison and Kimber has gone down hill big time. I've owned all of them and I truly feel the Dan Wesson out performs in function and value the Les Baer Premier II when you put pen to paper. You should be able to find a Pointman model for about a grand.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #46

yeah, i almost forgot about the Dan Wesson's. i looked at a couple at the gunstore, these are really nice pistols. little more than i want to spend on a 1911, but very nice feeling in the hand. i have heard good reviews about them. these are some to check out.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #47

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I wanted a DW, but when they went to a forged frame & the resulting big price increase, kinda priced themselves outta my market. Was considering their CCO because I didn't care for any of the others out there, but Colt came out with a limited edition one for about $500 less, so ended that idea. They're really nice pistols & I'm sure they are worth it if you shoot a lot, say 20K rounds a year or so. But I don't, in fact I won't shoot that many in the 10-15 years I got left, at least not in just one pistol. I won't even be able to wear out the inexpensive Bersas I own.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #48

STI. Trojan will shoot with any 1911 for $1000.00!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #49

Big difference on price if your looking at retail if that's what you saw on pricing. I got a NIB Dan Wesson Pointman for $989.00. I have found that certain brands and the higher price point also seem to have a higher markup. I have an FFL dealer that gets me stuff at cost because his shop is in the city I work for but I'm sure you could shop around.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #50

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I looked at several prices on the net for the DW CCO (none at all available in this area) & with freight & FFL fee was at about $1600. One place was cheaper on the price, but would have to charge me Texas sales tax, so still ended up about the same. I got the Colt CCO for just over $1100, so not quite $500 difference.

I really could kick myself for not buying one in 2009 before the increase. But then, I was looking at the CBOB & couldn't find one. I didn't shop the net back then & closest dealer is about 2 hours away from me.