Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Best 1911 for $800-$1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
So heres the question just what is the best 1911 and why?
Read this thread for the "clear" answer.....
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/best-1911-a-46158/

Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #22

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always cringe when people ask this question because many of the answers given are either subjective, blind loyalty to the brand they happen to own, or just people repeating what they heard/read elsewhere.

I think it is safe to say that regardless of how many 1911's someone owns in their collection, they have not shot 'every candidate' out there in the price range you have stated so at best, any advise given will be limited to their personal scope of experience. In addition, most articles that are published are seldom comparing a complete roster of all the comparable pistols either so again, it is a narrow viewpoint.

I recommend that you go to the local range, spend some time shooting the 1911's they have available to get the feel for them and to determine what features and configurations you prefer, then create a short list, research them, then make your decision.

The good news is that if you pick any one over another, in the price range your looking, you should still have a good shooter that will give you years of service and enjoyment.

Last edited by jismail; 09-29-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Maybe, but in the case of 1911's, there really is a break point between guns which are "mass made" and guns which are fitted. Guns like wilson, Valtro, SVI, STI, Baer etc are fitted. It's like buying a suit hand made for you or one off the rack that was sewn in China or India. It's possible to get a decent suit that fits off the rack. With 1911's, I have found it's better to pay a little more to get above the mass made guns. Just my opinion, not saying that all of the mass made guns are junk, just saying enough of them are that I will pay more for better build quality.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #24

jismail you have the best answer to the question and what you like and what i like might be different we are both happy with wha twe have. I dont down anyones choice, this is what makes the game fun. i have had remington rand and colt before one i sold the other i dont know what my brother did with it, i now shoot the SR1911 i looked at sa, sw, colt, and remington but the ruger just felt good to me.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #25

Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations. I ended up buying the Colt Rail Gun that Canebrake posted. I'll try to post some pictures and a range report when I get it.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

GREAT choice, you will never go wrong with a COLT.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default $800 - $1000 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I always cringe when people ask this question because many of the answers given are either subjective, blind loyalty to the brand they happen to own, or just people repeating what they heard/read elsewhere.

I think it is safe to say that regardless of how many 1911's someone owns in their collection, they have not shot 'every candidate' out there in the price range you have stated so at best, any advise given will be limited to their personal scope of experience. In addition, most articles that are published are seldom comparing a complete roster of all the comparable pistols either so again, it is a narrow viewpoint.

I recommend that you go to the local range, spend some time shooting the 1911's they have available to get the feel for them and to determine what features and configurations you prefer, then create a short list, research them, then make your decision.

The good news is that if you pick any one over another, in the price range your looking, you should still have a good shooter that will give you years of service and enjoyment.
Concur completely.

Will add that the "Full Custom" guys like cylinder and slide will only work on Colt or Springfield Armory.

I do believe that speaks volumes for the quality and ease to work on.

Take a look at the new Springfield Range Officer. Quality piece with all the cool extras that supposedly make it ready for competitive beginning shooters right out of the box(if you believe their press). Definitley < $800 so you can buy alittle ammo to break it in.

My $.02

"Those who would give up essential freedoms for a little temporary safety, deserve neither freedom nor safety." Ben Franklin

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #28
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post

Jismail, great post! The only thing I'd like to add is that I have found that I am not always happy with the name brand of ANYTHING for my own personal use. I usually feel I paid too much, got too little and later find something that fits me better for less money. I hated the one and only Nike shoes I ever bought when they were popular, I find name brand foods to be a waste of money and I'm going to commit a great sacrilege here, but I've never been terribly impressed with the Colt line of guns. The 1911 is a good base gun, but needs a lot of work to make it truly carryable, the only AR I ever owned was the same way and sounded like a damned Slinky every time I fired it, and I had Colt Python that was absolutely the WORST revolver I have ever owned due to the horrendous recoil and muzzle flip it produced. I realize the fact that I'm left-handed may contribute to my bias, but there are other reasons that I'm just not a fan. I don't currently own any Colt products, but I don't knock those that do because I realize they may be the perfect fit for others out there.

So like you, Jismail, I will never recommend a "best" because I know that best for me will probably never be best for someone else. To be happy with what you purchase, you have to do your own research and test firing.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19867 Times on 11283 Posts
Likes Given: 50081

this is just my looking at buying another 1911 in the future, but the one right now that really catches my attention is the Springfield Armory Range Officer. that is really nice looking pistol, or possibly the Remington R1 Enhanced. either one would put a smile on my face.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
this is just my looking at buying another 1911 in the future, but the one right now that really catches my attention is the Springfield Armory Range Officer. that is really nice looking pistol, or possibly the Remington R1 Enhanced. either one would put a smile on my face.
Axxe55, are you sure the "Colt Fairy" won't come after you or curse you with a cut-up thumb the next time you go shooting for not "Thinking Colt?"

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)