Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Bent shell casing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/bent-shell-casing-84495/)

rrussell250 02-18-2013 01:45 AM

Bent shell casing

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me why I'm getting bent casings.
Colt 1911 series 70.

Tackleberry1 02-18-2013 02:31 AM

I have seen it but with 5.56 MM fired through an M249

My question with your S70 would be if it happens with all of your magazines?

I suspect you may have an older mag that sits a bit to deep in the mag well and your fired, and very hot spent casing is being drug along the leading edge of the top round in your mag producing the deformed casing in your picture.

So... Are you seeing it with all your mags? Or just one?

If ^^THIS^^ is the case, you will notice much more deformation on the first few rounds fired and it will get less severe as the mag runs empty due to the reduced "up force" on the leading round in the mag.

Tack

rrussell250 02-18-2013 03:04 AM

I have only one mag. So I don't know. Can I adjust the lips on the mag or just a few new ones?

Tackleberry1 02-18-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrussell250 (Post 1142381)
I have only one mag. So I don't know. Can I adjust the lips on the mag or just a few new ones?

Lips can be adjusted but reliability trumps dented brass... And I dont think adjusting the lips would solve the problem... Which... Unless you reload, really isn't a problem, as much as it's a "curiosity".

Personally, I've had great luck with Wilson Combat 8 round mags and run them in all my 1911's.

Several other "slab siders" here swear by both Chip Mcormic and Tripp 1911 Mags.

I'd say to pick up a couple of new mags and see if it eleviates the problem.

Tack

trip286 02-18-2013 03:45 AM

Look at your gun. I would almost bet you money there's a golden smudge somewhere near your ejection port. If so, your brass is ejecting improperly. You'll need to have the extractor tuned, I believe it would be holding the casing too tightly.

Where does your brass land? 5 o'clock position and nearby?

rock185 02-18-2013 08:08 AM

rrussell, I have owned and carried Colts for many years, carried them in mlitary and LE and am a LE Colt armorer. The dent has nothing to do with magazines, the case is hitting the ejection port on it's way out. This happens with Series '70 and earlier commercial Colts, military 1911s, 1911A1s, etc, and any others, that don't have the lowered ejection ports we're all so used to now days. If you're not a reloader,it means nothing, if you are a reloader, the case dent will be ironed out during the reloading process. Even the newer guns, with lowered and/or flaired ejection ports, may occasionally dent a case. If the gun functions normally otherwise, nothing is wrong with your gun.

Yes, you can start adjusting the extractor, change or reshape the ejector, etc. to prevent this. If you do, you may find that the brass will be ejected in more of an upward and backward path, possibly into your face on occasion, that extraction and/or ejection may become unreliable, etc....

rrussell250 02-18-2013 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the great info.