Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Barrel replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Barrel replacement

I've got a Colt 1911 that needs a new barrel. Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a smith to replace it for me. I've been told that I'd have to replace the bushing and have the barrel fitted much the same way as you'd do for replacing a rifle barrel.

Please advise...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Sometimes they plug and play sometimes not. If you use a colt barrel it should fit with no problem. Ive swapped around bushings barrels and such between my various colts and springfields with no discernable accuracy or fitment issues.

The tighter the fit the more problems you will have. I like my 1911s to be loose as long as the barrel bushing slide lock together the same orientation each time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks.. I'll go ahead and order the barrel and try it myself. Worse that could happen is that I would still have to make the trip to my local smith..

MidwayUSA has several choices that should be easy enough to install with very little effort..

NRA Life Member

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 09-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I've got a Colt 1911 that needs a new barrel. Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a smith to replace it for me. I've been told that I'd have to replace the bushing and have the barrel fitted much the same way as you'd do for replacing a rifle barrel.

Please advise...

I've done it a couple of times. Always dropped in and I see no reason why it shouldn't except possibly in a very tight target pistol or some gun with non-standard parts.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Thanks.. I'll go ahead and order the barrel and try it myself. Worse that could happen is that I would still have to make the trip to my local smith..
Actually, the worst that could happen is it might break the barrel lugs, chew the upper lugs off inside the slide, and maybe even lock up the gun. 1911 barrels (and links) have to be fitted to lock and unlock properly and not have lug interference. It's possible the barrel could drop in and work. I would not try it on any 1911 I own. I would send the gun to Colt and have them do it or buy the barrel and have a smith fit it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you really want to try and fit a new barrel to your 1911 I would at least buy one of AGI's 1911 armorers videos. I have watched them all and have the understanding of how it is all done now, but would lack the tools to attempt anything other than a semi-drop in barrel kit.
There are several barrels to choose from, but if you buy one that says it is semi-drop in and comes with the bushing and the link pre-installed you will not have nearly as much work to do to fit it properly. If you buy a barrel only that is "Match grade" and says nothing about being drop in, then you better plan on having a competent gunsmith install it....you won't even begin to have all the tools needed to fit one of those properly.
I really don't think it matters if it is a Colt or a clone they are rarely any perfect fitting drop in parts in a 1911.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Actually, the worst that could happen is it might break the barrel lugs, chew the upper lugs off inside the slide, and maybe even lock up the gun. 1911 barrels (and links) have to be fitted to lock and unlock properly and not have lug interference. It's possible the barrel could drop in and work. I would not try it on any 1911 I own. I would send the gun to Colt and have them do it or buy the barrel and have a smith fit it.
What I mean by "worse that could happen" is that if I see it's not going well for me, I will take it to a smith. I am not foolish enough to not put things together properly.

NRA Life Member

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
What I mean by "worse that could happen" is that if I see it's not going well for me, I will take it to a smith. I am not foolish enough to not put things together properly.
It has nothing to do with proper assembly. An unfitted barrel may have an interference fit as the barrel lugs try to go into the slide cuts. It may also not insert deeply enough into the slide which will stress the barrel lugs and possibly peen them from recoil. Kuhnhausen makes a very good manual showing how a 1911 is fitted, it is not something I would try on my own and I have worked on a lot of guns. My point is you may not be able to tell the barrel is not fitted right just by looking or assembling the gun.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
It has nothing to do with proper assembly. An unfitted barrel may have an interference fit as the barrel lugs try to go into the slide cuts. It may also not insert deeply enough into the slide which will stress the barrel lugs and possibly peen them from recoil. Kuhnhausen makes a very good manual showing how a 1911 is fitted, it is not something I would try on my own and I have worked on a lot of guns. My point is you may not be able to tell the barrel is not fitted right just by looking or assembling the gun.
K .. Understood. Thanks

NRA Life Member