Is it bad to field strip a 1911?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Is it bad to field strip a 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is it bad to field strip a 1911?

I know what you all might be thinking, what a silly question right? Believe me, I feel silly asking it… The only reason I bring it up is because there is a guy at my gun club that is adamant that removing the slide to clean the gun causes much more ware to the gun than just cleaning it intact. The barrel and the feed ramp are the only things he cleans. I am thinking that the only way to properly clean it is to field strip it. When I go to the range I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds. By that time the gun is pretty dirty, I can’t imagine not striping it down to clean it.

What do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Liked 2774 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 2663

The guy at the gun club is an idiot. Far more wear can occur from not cleaning lubing properly.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
The guy at the gun club is an idiot. Far more wear can occur from not cleaning lubing properly.
yep!!!!!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
YUP - Idiot is a fair discription

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Not sure where the guy at the range gets his information but he is wrong. Guns are designed to be field stripped, cleaned and oiled. Not sure what he even means saying that taking down the slide and barrel leads to excessive wear.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Military been field stripping the 1911 for 100 years, no wonder they killed so many enemy soldiers with them.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

He's not an idiot, he's just not a shooter!

He's lazy and shows no respect for the gun. (He probably want's Noboma to clean his gun for him.)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Have to agree with canbrake hes just lazy. Although its guys like that who have trouble with there guns blame it on the gun then if your in the right place you can buy it cheap. I have bout 3 because someone has said its not working right or has problems. After spending a hour or better to find nothing wrong i was bery happy. Got 2 shot guns and a s&w revolver that way.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
I know what you all might be thinking, what a silly question right? Believe me, I feel silly asking it… The only reason I bring it up is because there is a guy at my gun club that is adamant that removing the slide to clean the gun causes much more ware to the gun than just cleaning it intact. The barrel and the feed ramp are the only things he cleans. I am thinking that the only way to properly clean it is to field strip it. When I go to the range I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds. By that time the gun is pretty dirty, I can’t imagine not striping it down to clean it.

What do you guys think?
You are right, Slacker dude is wrong.
Especially on a 1911. They do not like to be dry and will protest with malfunctions if neglect persists.
More & more it seems that I read about how cleaning is bad for the barrel or damages the rifling or some such noise. I can't help but wonder if people who think cleaning guns is unnecessary or overrated take the same outlook to bathing and personal hygiene. Maybe they're the ones driving around with car windows that haven't been cleaned since they bought it.
Edit: Don't forget, field stripping & cleaning is also an opportunity to inspect it and replace worn or damaged parts. Ask him how he replaces recoil springs. One can argue about interval, but eventually they do need it.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellwood45c View Post
Have to agree with canbrake hes just lazy. Although its guys like that who have trouble with there guns blame it on the gun then if your in the right place you can buy it cheap. I have bout 3 because someone has said its not working right or has problems. After spending a hour or better to find nothing wrong i was bery happy. Got 2 shot guns and a s&w revolver that way.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk
Hell I bought a Colt 70 series nickel plated 38 super for $50 LNIB cause the dummie could'nt get it to work with the 38 spl's he bought for it
Course this was in the very late 70's

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET