Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Is it bad to field strip a 1911? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/bad-field-strip-1911-a-62722/)

Blackstone 04-17-2012 04:01 PM

Is it bad to field strip a 1911?

I know what you all might be thinking, what a silly question right? Believe me, I feel silly asking itÖ The only reason I bring it up is because there is a guy at my gun club that is adamant that removing the slide to clean the gun causes much more ware to the gun than just cleaning it intact. The barrel and the feed ramp are the only things he cleans. I am thinking that the only way to properly clean it is to field strip it. When I go to the range I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds. By that time the gun is pretty dirty, I canít imagine not striping it down to clean it.

What do you guys think?

rjd3282 04-17-2012 04:06 PM

The guy at the gun club is an idiot. Far more wear can occur from not cleaning lubing properly.

fmj 04-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 773557)
The guy at the gun club is an idiot. Far more wear can occur from not cleaning lubing properly.

yep!!!!!!!

HOSSFLY 04-17-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 773557)

YUP - Idiot is a fair discription;)

Jpyle 04-17-2012 04:21 PM

Not sure where the guy at the range gets his information but he is wrong. Guns are designed to be field stripped, cleaned and oiled. Not sure what he even means saying that taking down the slide and barrel leads to excessive wear.

Ranger-6 04-17-2012 04:30 PM

Military been field stripping the 1911 for 100 years, no wonder they killed so many enemy soldiers with them.

canebrake 04-17-2012 04:31 PM

He's not an idiot, he's just not a shooter!

He's lazy and shows no respect for the gun. (He probably want's Noboma to clean his gun for him.)

ellwood45c 04-17-2012 06:30 PM

Have to agree with canbrake hes just lazy. Although its guys like that who have trouble with there guns blame it on the gun then if your in the right place you can buy it cheap. I have bout 3 because someone has said its not working right or has problems. After spending a hour or better to find nothing wrong i was bery happy. Got 2 shot guns and a s&w revolver that way.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Overkill0084 04-17-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackstone (Post 773550)
I know what you all might be thinking, what a silly question right? Believe me, I feel silly asking it… The only reason I bring it up is because there is a guy at my gun club that is adamant that removing the slide to clean the gun causes much more ware to the gun than just cleaning it intact. The barrel and the feed ramp are the only things he cleans. I am thinking that the only way to properly clean it is to field strip it. When I go to the range I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds. By that time the gun is pretty dirty, I can’t imagine not striping it down to clean it.

What do you guys think?

You are right, Slacker dude is wrong.
Especially on a 1911. They do not like to be dry and will protest with malfunctions if neglect persists.
More & more it seems that I read about how cleaning is bad for the barrel or damages the rifling or some such noise. I can't help but wonder if people who think cleaning guns is unnecessary or overrated take the same outlook to bathing and personal hygiene. Maybe they're the ones driving around with car windows that haven't been cleaned since they bought it.
Edit: Don't forget, field stripping & cleaning is also an opportunity to inspect it and replace worn or damaged parts. Ask him how he replaces recoil springs. One can argue about interval, but eventually they do need it.

HOSSFLY 04-17-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellwood45c (Post 773674)
Have to agree with canbrake hes just lazy. Although its guys like that who have trouble with there guns blame it on the gun then if your in the right place you can buy it cheap. I have bout 3 because someone has said its not working right or has problems. After spending a hour or better to find nothing wrong i was bery happy. Got 2 shot guns and a s&w revolver that way.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Hell I bought a Colt 70 series nickel plated 38 super for $50 LNIB cause the dummie could'nt get it to work with the 38 spl's he bought for it :p
Course this was in the very late 70's :rolleyes: